iPhone 7+ to iPhone X (not impressed)

michko

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone

Anyone try to go the X from an iPhone 7+ and gone back to their 7+?

I just got the X over the weekend and not too excited with it. Maybe I'm used to the wider phone of the 7+.

I'm gonna give it a few more days and see how it goes.

pantlesspenguin

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded from the 7+ a couple weeks ago. I got used to the size VERY quickly. I have small girlie hands and I like that I can grip the phone better and use my thumb to scroll. I went to dinner with a friend who has an 8+ and he showed me something on his phone and it just felt so big!

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
You might want to check out this thread, which asks a similar question. It does seems like some have various issues with the X, either FaceID or the gestures, as well as the smaller size of video; and some that love the phone are looking forward to the "X Plus" that is rumored to be released this fall. OTOH, a number of us absolutely love our X, for basically those same reasons -- I found after using the X I couldn't be happy with my Plus iPhone.

I do think it is a preference thing, just depends on how much you like the home button vs. gestures and FaceID, and if you can adjust to the new aspect ration (making the screen thinner).

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I upgraded from the 7+ a couple weeks ago. I got used to the size VERY quickly. I have small girlie hands and I like that I can grip the phone better and use my thumb to scroll. I went to dinner with a friend who has an 8+ and he showed me something on his phone and it just felt so big!

Hey, just seen your post and remember you from the CB forums. How things been going? Great I hope.

Frehley

Ambassador
Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

Hey, how are you doing? Remember you from CrackBerry and miss your posts.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I am a fan of the screen size being the way that it is and also maintaining a smaller footprint. It is pretty much the perfect size.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Admittedly I've never been "impressed" with my X. I came from the 7 Plus. It really hasn't changed or altered the way I use my phone. Nor is there anything it offers that changed my perspective on the iPhone in general. The screen is nice but I'd come from OLED screens in the Galaxy world so I was familiar with how stunning they are. FaceID isn't nearly as reliable as TouchID for me so that hasn't blown me away although I appreciate the convenience it offers in certain situations.

Overall it's a great phone that followed a great phone (iPhone 7 Plus). So it was tough for it to come in and completely "wow" me. But I'm pleased with it and it does what I need it to do.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I just got the X over the weekend and not too excited with it. Maybe I'm used to the wider phone of the 7+.

If that's the only thing you find yourself missing then you'll probably be fine just sticking with the X in the long run. I prefer the 7 or 8 Plus over the X for a variety of reasons that you haven't mentioned so I think you'll be good.

Tech_User16

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I upgraded from the 7 Plus and came close to returning the iPhone X. The lack of Touch ID bothered me more than I expected. Face ID works pretty good for me. Not as often as Touch ID was for me but it’s not that it didn’t work. I just missed not even looking at the phone and the device was already unlocked. While picking it up my thumb would already be on the ID and unlock it before even looking. The higher price didn’t help.
Being also an Android user I’ve enjoyed Amoled displays for years now and wanted that on my iPhone. I gave it more time and I don’t regret it. I do hope Apple continues to offer devices with Touch ID though. Having options is nice.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded from the 7 Plus and came close to returning the iPhone X. The lack of Touch ID bothered me more than I expected. Face ID works pretty good for me. Not as often as Touch ID was for me but it’s not that it didn’t work. I just missed not even looking at the phone and the device was already unlocked. While picking it up my thumb would already be on the ID and unlock it before even looking. The higher price didn’t help.
Being also an Android user I’ve enjoyed Amoled displays for years now and wanted that on my iPhone. I gave it more time and I don’t regret it. I do hope Apple continues to offer devices with Touch ID though. Having options is nice.

Sadly Apple has publicly stated that TouchID is dead, FaceID is the future.

Seneca09

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site

What would be cool is making the Apple logo on the back a Touch ID sensor. Yeah, options would be nice...

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Took me a few weeks to get use to the size coming from an SE but I’ve settled in nicely and the Face ID and gestures are superb

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Early on after I got the X after the 7+ I was not sure I would keep it and while FaceID is nice, and so is the screen the overall size of the phone is not what I want, its not a significant size difference from a Plus phone but its enough to notice in both good and bad ways. I look forward to the prospect of an X Plus in 5 months.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
The x hype was just they hype! For some not all the uograde was worth it. I originally had negativity about the x but it has grown on me I prefer typing on my note 8 over the x.

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
I went from an iPhone 7+ to an X and I felt the same as the OP. I think the two things that bothered me was that since it was narrower, it really screwed with the video sizing. I also really disliked the fact that the zoomed display mode wasn't available on the X. That made it feel like I was using a regular 7.

I ended up returning the X and........ went with a Samsung S9+. I had a Note 4 before coming over to Apple with the 6+, so Android isn't foreign to me.

I figure when Apple gets the X right in the next iteration or two, I'll take another look.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Please could you provide a reference for that public statement?

96c43447174ca927040483f537317b82.jpg

I just couldn’t help it.