What kind of car mount wireless charger you use in car for the iPhone X/8/8P? And Why?

I

iMore Question

I just got the iPhone X 64G and want to buy a car mount wireless charger but after having a look at Amazon, I still have no idea which one should I buy. Can you give some tips? Thx:)

Ecm

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU3050247

The iOttie Easy One Touch Qi Wireless Fast Charge Car Mount works great with the iPhone 8/8 Plus and Sammy S8+'s in our household. Comes complete with the appropriate charger and cable. The extendable arm and swivel lets you position it in many combinations. The fast charge is about 1/3 quicker than the standard Qi wireless chargers.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I just got the iPhone X 64G and want to buy a car mount wireless charger but after having a look at Amazon, I still have no idea which one should I buy. Can you give some tips? Thx:)

Although a bit pricy, I highly recommend ProClip. You buy the mount for the car and the holder for the phone separately, so it fits very securely in your car and holds the phone perfectly.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU3050365

The iOttie Easy One Touch Qi Wireless Fast Charge Car Mount works great with the iPhone 8/8 Plus and Sammy S8+'s in our household. Comes complete with the appropriate charger and cable. The extendable arm and swivel lets you position it in many combinations. The fast charge is about 1/3 quicker than the standard Qi wireless chargers.

Was terrible for me, slow to charge and fell off the dash twice, returned.

Although a bit pricy, I highly recommend ProClip. You buy the mount for the car and the holder for the phone separately, so it fits very securely in your car and holds the phone perfectly.

I have used these since iPhone 5, only ones worth using imo, i drive a lot for work.

Ecm

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Was terrible for me, slow to charge and fell off the dash twice, returned.

Wow. Mine has been rock solid since I installed it in November. It gives me a small positive charge with Google Maps running and streaming music from my device via BT to the car stereo.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Wow. Mine has been rock solid since I installed it in November. It gives me a small positive charge with Google Maps running and streaming music from my device via BT to the car stereo.

It was more the falling off the dash, was over Summer, doesn't like the heat especially if parked in the sun. Australia :)

Also on our country roads that i travel a lot it was too wobbly, nothing beats the Brodit/ProClip very solid.

Ecm

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
It was more the falling off the dash, was over Summer, doesn't like the heat especially if parked in the sun. Australia

I'm in Canada, several months away from the summer heat, so I'll have to wait and see. Though before this one, I had the earlier, non-charging version and used it for several years.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
In my previous vehicles, I used the an iOttie brand phone mount and have recommended them over the years....Heck, I still recommend them. My current car has its own phone storage place so I use it instead.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I use the Spigen magnetic air vent mount.

Spigen Magnetic Car Mount Kuel QS11 Car Phone Mount Magnetic Air Vent Phone Holder Compatible with iPhone X / 8 / 8 plus / 7 / 7 Plus / 6S / 6S Plus / Galaxy Note 8 / S8 / S8 Plus / S7 Edge & More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AMGFY5...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU3050542

If only it charged the phone too! Bummer.

I recently picked this one up and like it quite a bit:

Renbon Wireless Car Charger W5,Magnetic Car Wireless Charger Mount,Wireless Charging for iPhone X iPhone 8/8 Plus, Samsung Galaxy Note 8/S 8/S 8+/S 7/S 6 Edge+/Note 5 And All Q I-Enabled Devices https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07795K45...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU3050542

The only downside is that my phone has come off a few times on extremely bumpy roads. I’m using a leather case though which I’m sure doesn’t help.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I like some of the ones that charge as well but don’t care for how they mount. I prefer vent mounted or CD slot mounted since I don’t use CDs

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Another vote for iOttie, they are hard to beat for the price. Yes Proclips are great, but spendy $$$.

OTOH, it depends on how you look at it. How much is it worth it to you to feel secure that your phone holder won't lose its "grip" and dump your iPhone X to the floor of your car? People here happily pay $50 or more for a case for their iPhone, even though you can find cases $10 or less on Amazon and elsewhere. Yet I don't see complaints about how a Lifeproof, UAG, or Spigen case is "too expensive," much less Apples own cases. So I'm not sure I understand why the more secure, and easier to use, option is being criticized for being "spendy?"

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
OTOH, it depends on how you look at it. How much is it worth it to you to feel secure that your phone holder won't lose its "grip" and dump your iPhone X to the floor of your car? People here happily pay $50 or more for a case for their iPhone, even though you can find cases $10 or less on Amazon and elsewhere. Yet I don't see complaints about how a Lifeproof, UAG, or Spigen case is "too expensive," much less Apples own cases. So I'm not sure I understand why the more secure, and easier to use, option is being criticized for being "spendy?"

I’ve used the iOttie 2 going on 3 years now daily. I’ve not had one mishap in that time. I paid about $20 bucks on sale at amazon, not a $100 +. It not only works my current phone but the 3 other iPhones I’ve had plus about 4 different models of Androids in whatever cases they’ve been in. I believe the Proclip holder is more device specific and less forgiving to multiple device/case combinations ...

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I’ve used the iOttie 2 going on 3 years now daily. I’ve not had one mishap in that time. I paid about $20 bucks on sale at amazon, not a $100 +. It not only works my current phone but the 3 other iPhones I’ve had plus about 4 different models of Androids in whatever cases they’ve been in. I believe the Proclip holder is more device specific and less forgiving to multiple device/case combinations ...

I think it is great it has worked for you, and I'm not trying to be critical of you or anyone that uses it. I've tried an iOttie mount (among others) before and did not find it stuck reliably -- I think it initially worked for a couple of months but, once we got fully into the heat of summer, it no longer would reliably stay connected. In fact, typically it would drop off within 30 minutes or so.

Initially, I paid $65 for my ProClip -- using one of the discount codes they seem to frequently have. I used that device mount for three different phones, 1 Android and 2 iPhones. After I bought the iPhone X, I continued to use that mount for a short time -- though the iPhone X was technically just a bit too small. So I purchased a new device mount for the X, paying $36 (again, using a discount code). I suspect I won't ever need to buy another device holder; if I get an "X Plus" phone then the old holder will work and I doubt I'll ever get anything smaller than the X. I also have an Android phone that fits in the iPhone X holder. Of course, I got the model without charging -- since there is nothing anywhere close to the charging port, I can always push in a lightning cable (or USB-C for my Android) and charge the phone as needed.

I recommend the ProClip because the system works really well. I drop the phone in, at that point (at least on my car and the mount I chose) it is in a great position where I can see the phone and even get it to unlock using FaceID. It holds the phone securely and I have no doubt it would continue to hold the phone if I were to be in a crash. And the price is no more than I'd pay for the case of a single phone -- and I've used it for multiple phones.

But this is one of the things I love about Apple phones -- there is a ton of choice when it comes to accessories. Some people love the $10 cases, and the cases work really well for them. Other people want a more expensive case or a more expensive mount, and it is great they can get what they want.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711