Face ID and Apple Pay

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
What am I doing wrong?
I unlock my phone with my face and then put it up to the reader, double click on the side button and... it tells me to unlock my phone again and wants it close to the reader again.

There has to be a better way?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Maybe try double clicking the home button prior to putting it near the reader to call up Apple Pay first.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I might be misunderstanding but here are steps that I took when using the X 1) use Face ID to unlock the phone 2) double click the button 3) use Face ID again to initiate Apple Pay 4) put the phone near the reader.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I might be misunderstanding but here are steps that I took when using the X 1) use Face ID to unlock the phone 2) double click the button 3) use Face ID again to initiate Apple Pay 4) put the phone near the reader.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Actually, you can just do three steps by omitting your first step. If you double click the button, even with the phone locked, it will take you to Apple Pay and then using FaceID will authorize the payment.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Maybe try double clicking the home button prior to putting it near the reader to call up Apple Pay first.

This is surprisingly the only fastest way. I have always had the double click disabled on Touch ID devices and would on the X because I accidentally bring it up too much. With Touch ID I'd just tap the terminal, wallet comes up, insert thumbprint and done. With the X if you tap the reader and go through the same steps it asks you to put it near the reader again. Now I just double click the power button and verify with Face ID before putting it near the reader.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
What am I doing wrong?
I unlock my phone with my face and then put it up to the reader, double click on the side button and... it tells me to unlock my phone again and wants it close to the reader again.

There has to be a better way?

Double-press the side button, wait for FaceID to recognize your face and then place the phone near the reader.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Actually, you can just do three steps by omitting your first step. If you double click the button, even with the phone locked, it will take you to Apple Pay and then using FaceID will authorize the payment.

You are correct. So few places accept Apple Pay around me. I really don't use it very much. I guess my memory failed me. lol.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Compare that to wave, bye bye! Apple/Android pay seems barely even practical for some situations, for example public transport.

Plus you don't have to give Apple or Google a continuous charging authority on your credit card. These are a bad idea - https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/recurring-payments .

Continuous payment authority is when you give a merchant permission to continuously charge your card as needed (think Amazon, Netflix). Storing your card information for Apple Pay is not giving Apple authority to debit your card without express authority at the time of purchase.
Many, including the largest banks in the world, are huge fans of tokenized payment methods like Apple Pay because they vastly cut down on fraud and, as a consumer, I like the fact that merchants never get my card number. I’d rather give one company (Apple) my card information versus every merchant that I buy things from.
From a convenience standpoint I don’t find it terribly convenient or inconvenient. I use Apple Pay solely because it’s tokenized.

Last edited:

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
And if I have your card I don’t need any verification. Ha ha

Indeed that's true, but as only small transactions are allowed without a PIN (and only up the a certain cumulative amount) the potential losses are small, with liabilities taken by the bank.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Continuous payment authority is when you give a merchant permission to continuously charge your card as needed (think Amazon, Netflix). Storing your card information for Apple Pay is not giving Apple authority to debit your card without express authority at the time of purchase.

No. Giving your credit card information to Apple or Google is a continuous payment authority. They can charge you whenever they think you owe them money, such as when you buy an app, become liable for a subscription, use Apple/Android Pay, etc. This is a bad idea - it's better to add the card number only when you want to buy something and then remove it again.

Many, including the largest banks in the world, are huge fans of tokenized payment methods like Apple Pay because they vastly cut down on fraud and, as a consumer, I like the fact that merchants never get my card number. I’d rather give one company (Apple) my card information versus every merchant that I buy things from.
From a convenience standpoint I don’t find it terribly convenient or inconvenient. I use Apple Pay solely because it’s tokenized.

Tokenization is part of the EMV contactless payment standards and is possible using contactless bank cards as well as phones. You can sometimes see the details on the receipt you get after a purchase with a contactless bank card.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
No. Giving your credit card information to Apple or Google is a continuous payment authority. They can charge you whenever they think you owe them money, such as when you buy an app, become liable for a subscription, use Apple/Android Pay, etc. This is a bad idea - it's better to add the card number only when you want to buy something and then remove it again.

I was referring specifically to Apple Pay, not storing payment information with Apple to purchase for apps, media, subscriptions, etc. Again, Apple Pay is not a continuous authorization because it requires user interaction with every transaction.
But what do I know know? I’ve only worked in banking and finance for the last 15 years.

Andrew Clark1

Mar 7, 2018
Visit site
I’ve actually never really used this option till I got the X. But I like it a lot with the X hasn’t messed up yet. By the time i double click while looking at the phone it recognizes my face and I just put to the reader. I usually have to wait for the attendant

Andrew Clark1

Mar 7, 2018
Visit site
I’m having a issue right now trying to upgrade my iCloud. I have my wallet set up I use Apple Pay but when I try to upgrade my iCloud it gets declined every time

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox