Creaking X?

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
I’m not trying to make a big issue about this but does anyone else’s iPhone X creak on the upper corners? I just reached over to hit my mute switch and it creaks now and this just started to happen in the last few hours. I’ve had the device since November 29th so it’s possible it just formed an abnormality. I’ve read others have had the issue but I’ve also read many haven’t had such an issue as of yet. It’s been mixed results with Apple for those that have had issues as some Apple employees say it’s within normal limits and others say it shouldn’t happen. I am a firm believer that with the build materials used there shouldn’t be an issue but then again who knows.

Anyone else? I will likely head to an Apple Store but I’m waiting until my new Belkin protector arrives because mine started lifting on the top left corner. Oddly enough, this is where I’m starting to hear the creak nearly 2 weeks later so I’m wondering if there’s an underlying issue there. I applied a cheap glass protector and it’s sticking fine but nonetheless I wonder if the flex caused a lift.

On a side note, I’ve also had static on my speaker when listening to music at the top 2 volumes and also the speaker phone. I don’t think everyone has this issue so I may be requesting a replacement based on this issue too if necessary.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’m not trying to make a big issue about this but does anyone else’s iPhone X creak on the upper corners? I just reached over to hit my mute switch and it creaks now and this just started to happen in the last few hours. I’ve had the device since November 29th so it’s possible it just formed an abnormality. I’ve read others have had the issue but I’ve also read many haven’t had such an issue as of yet. It’s been mixed results with Apple for those that have had issues as some Apple employees say it’s within normal limits and others say it shouldn’t happen. I am a firm believer that with the build materials used there shouldn’t be an issue but then again who knows.

Anyone else? I will likely head to an Apple Store but I’m waiting until my new Belkin protector arrives because mine started lifting on the top left corner. Oddly enough, this is where I’m starting to hear the creak nearly 2 weeks later so I’m wondering if there’s an underlying issue there. I applied a cheap glass protector and it’s sticking fine but nonetheless I wonder if the flex caused a lift.

On a side note, I’ve also had static on my speaker when listening to music at the top 2 volumes and also the speaker phone. I don’t think everyone has this issue so I may be requesting a replacement based on this issue too if necessary.

Nope. No creaking sound heard with my iPhone X, and I’ve had mine since the day after launch.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I have not noticed any creaking on mine either. As far as the screen protector peeling, they just do that after a while, I don’t believe your phone is bent. Not from the screen protector peeling alone.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
No creaking here. I did have that on my 7 plus though. Noticed not long after I bought it so I had it exchanged easily since it was within return period.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Solid build for me.

Do you remember ever taking your device from one Temp extreme to an other. An old cellphone I had once that I left in my car at below zero then brought it in an hooked to a charger in a warm room caused that device to warp on me.

That was plastic not glass but I figured I mention it anyway

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Solid build for me.

Do you remember ever taking your device from one Temp extreme to an other. An old cellphone I had once that I left in my car at below zero then brought it in an hooked to a charger in a warm room caused that device to warp on me.

That was plastic not glass but I figured I mention it anyway

Nope, never. So i guess I’ll be asking Apple to replace it when my new protector comes. I don’t want to make another trip for no reason and it’s annoying that anytime I reach for my mute switch it creaks.

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
I have not noticed any creaking on mine either. As far as the screen protector peeling, they just do that after a while, I don’t believe your phone is bent. Not from the screen protector peeling alone.

I didn’t think so either. It’s strange that it did peel though considering I’ve never had that happen before.

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
I didn’t think so either. It’s strange that it did peel though considering I’ve never had that happen before.

Just adding to this and they’re going to replace it for me as the phone support agreed that creaking isn’t a normal “feature” of the iPhone.

Feature. Haha.

felloffthetruck

iPhone 7 Plus Champion
Champion
Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm hearing it on my phone also. When wiping my screen with a microfiber across the top near the ear speaker I do hear some funny creaking sounds. It has to be in a real quite place but I can hear them.

I also have a glass screen protector and wonder if that's got something to do with it.

Are they going to replace it with a new or refurbished phone?

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm hearing it on my phone also. When wiping my screen with a microfiber across the top near the ear speaker I do hear some funny creaking sounds. It has to be in a real quite place but I can hear them.

I also have a glass screen protector and wonder if that's got something to do with it.

Are they going to replace it with a new or refurbished phone?

The guy on the phone said it’s brand new and they don’t send out refurbished. Whether that’s true or not I’m not sure though. My phone sort of sounds like a Samsung Galaxy phone when the phones were plastic.

I also doubt it’s the screen protector. But mines very noticeable and it’s happening when I’m not even trying to make it happen.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have had three iPhone X models since the official launch day and haven’t had any creaking or noise issues with either one of them.

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
No problems here. Sounds like it's definitely time to take it to the Apple store. (No pun intended. :))

I’ll have a replacement tomorrow. I don’t have the time to make a 30 minute drive there, wait for the technician to check it and then drive home in traffic so I had to do it over the phone. Unfortunately, that also means I had to pay $30 for an Advanced Exchange which means they’re overnighting me a new device today and I send mine back within 10 days. I’m not extremely happy about paying this but sometimes when life throws you a problem you have to take the best solution available. Plus, given that I’ve heard some people have been told by the stores this is within normal limits, it could turn into more of a headache later on. Ah well, it’s been an expensive month overall for me lately so what’s another $30?

Since January, I’ve had to:

Replace the HFL Bluetooth module on my car ($600, they wanted $2000 but I worked it down)

Replace my car battery with a larger one because the factory recommend isn’t reliable. Upgraded originally from a 430cca to a 450cca Optima because it’s all that fit. I modified my car to a 700cca Optima so I’m okay now... that’s $255 extra

My driver side mirror randomly cracked. $190 to replace due it being a heated mirror

iPhone replacement, $30 advanced fee.

I’m opening up a Go Fund Me page. Any helpers want to donate?

felloffthetruck

iPhone 7 Plus Champion
Champion
Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I’ll have a replacement tomorrow. I don’t have the time to make a 30 minute drive there, wait for the technician to check it and then drive home in traffic so I had to do it over the phone. Unfortunately, that also means I had to pay $30 for an Advanced Exchange which means they’re overnighting me a new device today and I send mine back within 10 days. I’m not extremely happy about paying this but sometimes when life throws you a problem you have to take the best solution available. Plus, given that I’ve heard some people have been told by the stores this is within normal limits, it could turn into more of a headache later on. Ah well, it’s been an expensive month overall for me lately so what’s another $30?

Replace the HFL Bluetooth module on my car ($600, they wanted $2000 but I worked it down)

Replace my car battery with a larger one because the factory recommend isn’t reliable. Upgraded originally from a 430cca to a 450cca Optima because it’s all that fit. I modified my car to a 700cca Optima so I’m okay now... that’s $255 extra

My driver side mirror randomly cracked. $190 to replace due it being a heated mirror

Did you purchase the phone direct from Apple or a carrier? I purchased mine from Verizon and wonder if Apple will stand by it?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

If you purchase Apple care +, they waive the overnight fee. Or they send replacements slower shipping unless you pay for over night. Just another perk of having AC+.

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
If you purchase Apple care +, they waive the overnight fee. Or they send replacements slower shipping unless you pay for over night. Just another perk of having AC+.

I didn’t purchase Apple Care+ because I figured I wouldn’t need a replacement for damage and I never expected to need to have a replacement shipped for a manufacturer defect. Granted, I could have gone to the store for free but I really don’t want to drive there and deal with the hassle that a store brings. As for offering a slower shipping service, I didn’t know that. They told me they would send a replacement and then all of a sudden he processes it and tells me that I need to accept the charges before we proceed. I was rushing out the door and just went along with it. Maybe I’ll give them a call tomorrow and see if that was a possibility and if it was ask why it wasn’t offered to me and see if we can reach a compromise but if not it’s no big deal as I did give the okay to ship it.

Also, I purchased it direct from Verizon for the poster above that asked. I do sort of wish I purchased Apple Care + but at this point it’s too late as I’m beyond the 60 day period. Maybe next time but so far I’m still ahead of the game cost wise.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I didn’t purchase Apple Care+ because I figured I wouldn’t need a replacement for damage and I never expected to need to have a replacement shipped for a manufacturer defect. Granted, I could have gone to the store for free but I really don’t want to drive there and deal with the hassle that a store brings. As for offering a slower shipping service, I didn’t know that. They told me they would send a replacement and then all of a sudden he processes it and tells me that I need to accept the charges before we proceed. I was rushing out the door and just went along with it. Maybe I’ll give them a call tomorrow and see if that was a possibility and if it was ask why it wasn’t offered to me and see if we can reach a compromise but if not it’s no big deal as I did give the okay to ship it.

Also, I purchased it direct from Verizon for the poster above that asked. I do sort of wish I purchased Apple Care + but at this point it’s too late as I’m beyond the 60 day period. Maybe next time but so far I’m still ahead of the game cost wise.

It is possible that is has changed and they charge the fee no matter what now. I just had my Apple watched replaced via chat recently and they waived overnight shipping since I had AC+. They did the same when I needed to swap phone last year. So I assumed you could get slower shipping for free. I may be wrong. Only reason I have AC+ on this phone if you buy the $12 carrier insurance from T-Mobile, you get apple care + for free as well. Your serial # then shows the AC+ on your phone within 1 day of purchase so it registers quickly with Apple. No way I’m fronting $200 for AC+ at these new prices.

But me personally, I’d rather pay the $30 for shipping to not have to deal with the drive to the Apple store and then waiting through the Genius Bar process and then if they can’t hear the creaking in the noisy Apple store, then they turn you away and you wasted your time.

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
It is possible that is has changed and they charge the fee no matter what now. I just had my Apple watched replaced via chat recently and they waived overnight shipping since I had AC+. They did the same when I needed to swap phone last year. So I assumed you could get slower shipping for free. I may be wrong. Only reason I have AC+ on this phone if you buy the $12 carrier insurance from T-Mobile, you get apple care + for free as well. Your serial # then shows the AC+ on your phone within 1 day of purchase so it registers quickly with Apple. No way I’m fronting $200 for AC+ at these new prices.

But me personally, I’d rather pay the $30 for shipping to not have to deal with the drive to the Apple store and then waiting through the Genius Bar process and then if they can’t hear the creaking in the noisy Apple store, then they turn you away and you wasted your time.

I have Apple Care+ on my Watch but that’s because I’m more worried about slamming my wrist into a post or wall than I am dropping my phone. But I definitely agree with paying the $30 because even though it’s a decent chunk of change it’s also not a $30 difference. Between 17 miles each way using gasoline and time wasted, it evens out in my opinion. I don’t mind going to the store for accessories such as screen protectors because they always get me out immediately. Even with appointments, it’s just too long and malls aren’t silent. With my luck I’d get a representative that either thinks it’s normal or one that is unable to hear it. I don’t need to feel like I’m bringing my car in for warranty work where the noise doesn’t exist to anyone but me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice