X with FID OFF.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I wish Apple would do something like Google does with trusted places and devices. I can definitely see how it would be nice to not have to put in a code, etc if you are in your house, or car, or connected to your watch or something like that.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I am all good thanks don’t need a lecture on security I am not a 10 year old,. The thread was about how the X is easier to use with fid off not security concerns.

Well FID is about security and you're talking about turning security off.. So of course people will talk about security since that is what FID is all about.

You like it off -- others advise against it for the previous reasons stated.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
he thread is actually about someone recommending that FaceID be turned off and only requiring a passcode every four hours which should raise huge security concerns for anyone who knows anything about the subject.
OP, as well as everyone else, is free to do what he or she pleases. The problem is we have thousands of visitors that read this stuff and many of them will simply go along with OP to “make their phone faster” without understanding that it’s bad advice for the vast majority of users.

Ok, i took TRY IT out of the original post. I did say it solves my issues which it has, plenty of people use their iPhones with no pass codes i have always done till TID came along as it was easier to open the phone but FID has its issues for my uses.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
That's not something to brag about. I'm proud to say that I instilled good security habits in my children with their electronics and computers. They take the security of their private information very seriously.

So my 72 year old mum who uses her 5S with no passcode for calls/texts/camera, has 1 gb data a month and only checks the weather with it should i tell her no passcode mum take my no out lol.

What about my 88 year old FIL with dementia and his nokia, he has all the family phone no's in his phone, should i tell him take my no out of your phone if you don't use a passcode, laughable.

You should reconsider your stance on this. It's not too late to practice better security habits with your electronics.

Better still people who keep personal stuff on their phones need to look after their portable electronic devices, i am in my 50's not a 10 year old kid. Have never lost or had a phone stolen in over 3 years of using them, even my old motorola brick was safe ;0

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Heres a example why not everyone needs or wants passcodes.

Someone i know last week with a work iPhone 6 only used for calls/texts in Sydney left it on a train, no passcode, a nice girl found it and tracked him down through his contacts and he met her and got it back.
He told me its just a phone for calls why he hasn't updated, doesn't use find iPhone, so if he had it password locked he wouldn't of got it back.

Before people get on their high horse about a work phone he is the BOSS lol.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Heres a example why not everyone needs or wants passcodes.

Someone i know last week with a work iPhone 6 only used for calls/texts in Sydney left it on a train, no passcode, a nice girl found it and tracked him down through his contacts and he met her and got it back.
He told me its just a phone for calls why he hasn't updated, doesn't use find iPhone, so if he had it password locked he wouldn't of got it back.

Before people get on their high horse about a work phone he is the BOSS lol.

The owner can still be figured out. No passcode required.

c24e0244467223fd12a9a2dac2221518.jpg

Also, there are much bigger security concerns with most users than someone getting a hold of their contacts. I doubt anyone picking up an unlocked phone really cares about who the owner associates with. What are they going to do? Call, text or email me?

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Also, there are much bigger security concerns with most users than someone getting a hold of their contacts. I doubt anyone picking up an unlocked phone really cares about who the owner associates with. What are they going to do? Call, text or email me?

Well that was @ Sherry_B concern that someone would get her no.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Face ID is absolutely about security way before convenience.

Not for someone who prefers convenience over security like me.

So was TID and i only used it as was quicker to open phone not for security, i have it off on my iPad pro now.

Anyway your a mod you can close this thread if you want with my permission.

Looks like some are getting upset with my choice. Strange world we live in now when a phone is your security worry :)

I dont want to get banned for upsetting anyone.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Umm no its not, it's also suppose to be the convenient way to open your phone too. And in my uses it not.

According to Apple it is all about security. The commercials even start out "Let's start with the best password ... Your face!".

The entire purpose is to secure your phone with a unique password (your face). Password = security.

Either way people are allowed to post and comment on the forums. You can't make a thread and say "Only these type of comments and not about this other aspect of it!" .. That isn't how forums really work. Sorry you got responses you didn't expect but some are simply not going to agree with you but it doesn't mean they aren't allowed to post about it when it is definitely on-topic.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Really not worried?

So i have customers and people i have done quotes for who save my no on their phone should i contact them and make sure they have passwords/tid/fid enabled?

I find it hard to believe that you have absolutely no contacts in your phone, and if you do then shame on you for not caring about them enough to keep their information secure.

Very few people have my cell number, but those who do; if I found out they took the same nonchalance attitude towards keeping the info on their phones secure as you do, I would request they remove me from their contacts.

Last edited:

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
The entire purpose is to secure your phone with a unique password (your face). Password = security.

But i don't need security i prefer easy access.

According to Apple it is all about security. The commercials even start out "Let's start with the best password ... Your face!".

If they are that sure why have a no password at all then and why make it so you have to swipe up anyway to open, anyone can grab your phone and point it at your face and run off, thats not secure.

Either way people are allowed to post and comment on the forums. You can't make a thread and say "Only these type of comments and not about this other aspect of it!" .. That isn't how forums really work. Sorry you got responses you didn't expect but some are simply not going to agree with you but it doesn't mean they aren't allowed to post about it when it is definitely on-topic.

Fair enough.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen