X with FID OFF.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
True point. Another point I forgot was my 2 Step Verification for many things. These are items tied to my phone.

Yep so if unlocked someone could initiate these things and start to get into your accounts. I personally don't care if it is my Twitter account or something dumb.. I don't want anyone in any account. Obviously financial accounts would be the worst.

That is why I lock it down. If they get a hold of it they can't get into it and I don't have to panic to remote wipe it right away (in case I didn't have a PC or something I could get into in order to do it quickly).

One of the biggest scams that hit a lot of T-Mobile users (from reading the /r/tmobile reddit) was with Wells Fargo. People would social engineer the reps into gets numbers ported, the scammer then used their number to reset Wells Fargo password, and then got into their accounts. While this is different then you phone being unlocked the same could be done if someone walked up and said "Hey an unlocked phone" and wanted to do mischievous things such as this.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I wouldn't keep anything on a phone that i was worried about being stolen. Good luck if you do.

I find it hard to believe that you have absolutely no contacts in your phone, and if you do then shame on you for not caring about them enough to keep their information secure.

Very few people have my cell number, but those who do; if I found out they took the same nonchalance attitude towards keeping the info on their phones secure as you do, I would request they remove me from their contacts.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
1. If your banks only authentication method is your phone number, you need a new bank. My bank isn't giving away any information with only a phone number.

You will be amazed what hackers/scammers can do just with access to your phone number and the device.

I am amazed that you are assuming this is all good because your banks won’t let you down. Seriously, secure your device with at least a passcode if not FaceID.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
You will be amazed what hackers/scammers can do just with access to your phone number and the device.

I am amazed that you are assuming this is all good because your banks won’t let you down. Seriously, secure your device with at least a passcode if not FaceID.

My device is secured. That doesn't change the fact that my bank isn't relying on my phone number for authentication. If yours is, you should hold them accountable. I've spoken with mine many of times. This has never happened.

Even the thought that banks are doing this is frightening and it's really up to us to hold them accountable for that.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Scary....

I use every amount of security on a mobile device, laptop, tablet, car, etc

People that have already chosen to ignore and do away with nothing, then that's their own stupid fault. serves them right.. and nobody will change their mind sine they have already chosen to do nothing.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
My device is secured. That doesn't change the fact that my bank isn't relying on my phone number for authentication. If yours is, you should hold them accountable. I've spoken with mine many of times. This has never happened.

Even the thought that banks are doing this is frightening and it's really up to us to hold them accountable for that.

Good luck! Here is the latest scam and one of my friends was affected by the same scam:
https://www.techlicious.com/blog/phone-porting-scam-can-empty-bank-account/

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Yeah various banks will do various things. Some better then others. Mine does 2FA through SMS but to reset you need my email + security questions so it makes it harder.

Either way it isn't just about financials. There are many reasons it could be bad for someone to get into a phone. As I said previously it could be .. Idk .. my Netflix account. I don't care. I don't want anyone in any of my accounts at all for any reason.

With access to emails and your 2FA code -- damage can definitely be done.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Scary....

I use every amount of security on a mobile device, laptop, tablet, car, etc

People that have already chosen to ignore and do away with nothing, then that's their own stupid fault. serves them right.. and nobody will change their mind sine they have already chosen to do nothing.

Likewise. I lock everything down as much as I can. I want to prevent anyone from getting into my accounts (big or small).

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
As inconvenient as I find Face ID compared to Touch ID, I wouldn't recommend anyone who is stumbling upon this thread, whether it be via google or a regular forum member, do what the OP is doing. Period.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Good luck! Here is the latest scam and one of my friends was affected by the same scam:
https://www.techlicious.com/blog/phone-porting-scam-can-empty-bank-account/

That goes beyond the scope of the discussion when talking about what can happen on our phones directly. That scam would affect any of us even with our phones secure.

How lax is T Mobiles system though? I worked in wireless for 8 years and ports ALWAYS required authentication via PIN/password or SSN. That's crazy that ports have been allowed so easily. Again, this is on us to push these institutions to tighten up their security measures as they are protectors of the information we entrust them with. Security really is a two way street.

Back to the point, OP should do whatever works best for him and his security needs. I exercise every security measure made available to me, personally. But I also understand the responsibility institutions have to protect our data as well. I hope everyone is playing their part.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
The point of the scam is, if your phone number is in the hands of the scammers, anything is possible. In the scam I linked, they got access to the phone number by porting. In the OP's case, voila, the phone device is not secured and it doesn't take much long for a scammer to figure out what to do.

Back to the point, OP should do whatever works best for him and his security needs. I exercise every security measure made available to me, personally. But I also understand the responsibility institutions have to protect our data as well. I hope everyone is playing their part.

OP can do whatever he wants but we as forum users cannot recommend or share this as a common practice. I can only imagine a naive user landing on iMore forums reading the OP's thread and realizing its the greatest thing to do.

That said, Sorry, I can't for good obvious reasons recommend that OP continue going through with this setup.

Last edited:

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I find it hard to believe that you have absolutely no contacts in your phone, and if you do then shame on you for not caring about them enough to keep their information secure.

Very few people have my cell number, but those who do; if I found out they took the same nonchalance attitude towards keeping the info on their phones secure as you do, I would request they remove me from their contacts.

Very funny, please get a grip, not hard for someone to find your phone no if they really want to. Unless you are DT :)

My mother has a 5S and doesn't even use TID or a passcode, hey mum take my no out of your phone lol.

If you own a business like i do my no's are all over the internet.

Vega007

Jan 24, 2018
Visit site
Please set up a passcode and enable Face ID. Nobody here and anywhere would recommend setting up your phone the way you mentioned which compromises security. If you lose your phone, it’s just too easy for someone to get hold of your personal data.

FaceID is convenient and do use it.

Please do whatever you like with the phone you paid for and use it the way you want to use it.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Is there a way to turn FID on and off without having to go through the setup again, like with TID how it saves your finger prints?

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Well, you could leave Face ID of and just use a pin but is the extra 1.5 seconds of Face ID really preventing anything from being accomplished? For me, no. The iPhone X seems plenty fast, even with FID enabled.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Very funny, please get a grip, not hard for someone to find your phone no if they really want to.

I don't find it funny. Neither does anyone else judging by the tone of this thread. Yes, it would be hard for someone to find my cell phone number... since I never give it out except to friends. I never receive spam calls on my cell. My home line, now that's different since my land line had to be posted when I got my business license (both times).

My mother has a 5S and doesn't even use TID or a passcode

That's not something to brag about. I'm proud to say that I instilled good security habits in my children with their electronics and computers. They take the security of their private information very seriously.

If you own a business like i do my no's are all over the internet.

I retired from my first business and sold it (web hosting company/server admin/web design/commercial graphic design], and recently applied for a second business license now that I have no kids in the house.

You should reconsider your stance on this. It's not too late to practice better security habits with your electronics.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn’t ever do that without some sort of authentication to get to the home screen. Too many weirdos around. Do as you like, though. It’s your device and your data.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I am all good thanks don’t need a lecture on security I am not a 10 year old,. The thread was about how the X is easier to use with fid off not security concerns.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I am all good thanks don’t need a lecture on security I am not a 10 year old,. The thread was about how the X is easier to use with fid off not security concerns.

The thread is actually about someone recommending that FaceID be turned off and only requiring a passcode every four hours which should raise huge security concerns for anyone who knows anything about the subject.
OP, as well as everyone else, is free to do what he or she pleases. The problem is we have thousands of visitors that read this stuff and many of them will simply go along with OP to “make their phone faster” without understanding that it’s bad advice for the vast majority of users.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner