X with FID OFF.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
1. Works on a desk tap-swipe
2. Works in car holder tap-swipe
3. Works same raise to wake-swipe
4. Apps seem to close faster.

You have to swipe up anyway to unlock so i have set password to 4 hours and FID off.
It's a better phone now for my uses, i only have 1 app Keeper that uses FID.

I love the swiping and never liked TID and the home button, so this solves all my issues.

Last edited:

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
....until you leave your phone behind on accident and someone finds it and has complete access for four hours. My iPhone X seems quite fast enough without putting my personal data at risk.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
So are you letting us know that the phone is easier to get into if you turn off or severely cripple security functions? 🤦🏼*♂️

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
So are you letting us know that the phone is easier to get into if you turn off or severely cripple security functions? 🤦🏼*♂️

Pretty much! I can’t emphasize enough that doing as OP recommended is not a good idea by any means. To each his/her own though.
Security is a vitally necessary inconvenience. I think Apple does an awesome job making it as efficient as possible though.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Try it.

You have to swipe up anyway to unlock so i have set password to 4 hours and FID off.

I love the swiping and never liked TID and the home button, so this solves all my issues.

I’m sure gaining access to your home screen is faster with FaceID disabled, but like the others, I prefer to tolerate the extra two seconds using FaceID. Security alone is worth it, in my opinion.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I guess it's possible you don't have anything contained in your phone that you'd be worried about if someone else were to obtain your phone so the convenience for you is beneficial. I'd just be mindful of everything someone could do with your phone if they were to get ahold of it.

That said, I know a lot of people who don't secure their devices with passcodes, finger prints, face rec. or anything. For some, the ease of access is more important than whatever data they may have on their devices. I would at least hope you've got iCloud and Find My iPhone enabled on your device. That will at least assist you if your device is stolen or misplaced as you can issue wipe/lock commands.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
Try it.

Please set up a passcode and enable Face ID. Nobody here and anywhere would recommend setting up your phone the way you mentioned which compromises security. If you lose your phone, it’s just too easy for someone to get hold of your personal data.

FaceID is convenient and do use it.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Why would I want my personal information available for anyone? FaceID is really fast. Turning it off is not a good idea at all and certainly not recommended.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't leave phones unlocked. I did years ago but not anymore... Way too much stuff on the phone for it to just be open for me making a human mistake.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I guess it's possible you don't have anything contained in your phone that you'd be worried about if someone else were to obtain your phone so the convenience for you is beneficial. I'd just be mindful of everything someone could do with your phone if they were to get ahold of it.

That said, I know a lot of people who don't secure their devices with passcodes, finger prints, face rec. or anything. For some, the ease of access is more important than whatever data they may have on their devices. I would at least hope you've got iCloud and Find My iPhone enabled on your device. That will at least assist you if your device is stolen or misplaced as you can issue wipe/lock commands

Exactly.

Unless someone wants to check my instagram lol or makes some OS calls or use up my data, but if i lost it which i have never done i would just cancel the sim and wipe it with find iPhone, also have insurance for theft.

The only reason i used TID was to open phone faster, was hit and miss anyway, before it i never used passwords since 4S and BB phones before that.

Thanks for all the concern though guys re security. I wouldn't keep anything on a phone that i was worried about being stolen. Good luck if you do.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Exactly.

Unless someone wants to check my instagram lol or makes some OS calls or use up my data, but if i lost it which i have never done i would just cancel the sim and wipe it with find iPhone, also have insurance for theft.

The only reason i used TID was to open phone faster, was hit and miss anyway, before it i never used passwords since 4S and BB phones before that.

Thanks for all the concern though guys re security. I wouldn't keep anything on a phone that i was worried about being stolen. Good luck if you do.

Yea I personally don't keep anything on my phone that I'd be worried about either. My issue is that my family is rather trusting of anything that comes from my phone number or email. For example, if I request an account number from my wife via text, she will absolutely send it. I know a lot of people have account numbers and things like that on their devices. I don't keep anything sensitive on my phone.

Now that I think about it...with the security available via apps, what could people actually store on their phone that they are worried about? For example, we can now lock notes (that may contain account numbers or passwords). Email really is the last place we should be sharing or sending sensitive information so hopefully nobody is keeping anything there. Our bank accounts should be secured with passwords so even if someone gets our phone, they shouldn't be able to access those accounts. Using "remember this password" features is a rather large security no-no. So when I really think about it...if you exercise security beyond just locking your phone, the phone lock could comfortably be disabled.

Of course, privacy is another point. I'm sure we don't want people reading through our text messages, emails or looking through our pictures. But from a security standpoint, there are far more important areas before we even get to the locking of the device.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
My phone contains enough info for an identity thief to wipe me out. I think I'll keep Face ID on and keep an eye out for my doppelganger.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Before Touch ID, I had my passcode set on 1 hour. After 1 hour, the passcode would be required. Touch ID fixed that. I don't know what anyone could get in my phone. All personal information is in 1Password. They'd need the password for that, and it's very strong.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Before Touch ID, I had my passcode set on 1 hour. After 1 hour, the passcode would be required. Touch ID fixed that. I don't know what anyone could get in my phone. All personal information is in 1Password. They'd need the password for that, and it's very strong.

Email?

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
All personal information is in 1Password. They'd need the password for that, and it's very strong.

Keeper is my only App for passwords and prefer to type in password same as my iPad pro 12.9 dont use TID on it, on the chance someone held me up at gunpoint took my phone they only have to point at my face using FID to get into keeper anyway.
With password they would have to torture me lol :)

Anyway i am really liking using it with no FID. I was on the verge of selling it and getting a 8 plus, but really like the swiping and no home button.

See how long i last. I should say i work from my home office or are on the road doing quotes so its not as if i am carrying my phone around in my pocket all day or using public transport.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
If your phone goes into the wrong hands and it is unlocked, there are several things they can do.

1. They can convince banks to reset the password by giving the phone number to confirm and thus getting access to your bank info
2. They can send some unwarranted messages to the authorities and put you in trouble
3. Use it to commit another theft
4. Remove the existing SIM card, put a new one and continue using the phone

Yes, you can find and wipe your phone. By that time, it might be too late. People need only a few mins to commit theft.

If this is your personal way of handling your phone, especially when it comes to security and privacy, you should really update your post to reflect that. I for one will never ever guide/recommend someone to not have a passcode or not setup FaceID/TouchID in their iPhone.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site

I could care less about what you do with your phone. I'm more concerned about less experienced users following your poor advice ...
It is always a horrible idea to bypass, or turn off security features. It's just as bad to not keep your devices OS & apps up to date. Always use strong passwords or use a password manager.
These are the basics of surviving in todays electronic jungle. Security experts can preach until they're blue in the face on how to protect yourself, and seemingly go unheard. Then some random clown on the internet will tell you that your email will download faster if you turn your anti-virus off, and people scramble to try it out ...

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Yea I personally don't keep anything on my phone that I'd be worried about either. My issue is that my family is rather trusting of anything that comes from my phone number or email. For example, if I request an account number from my wife via text, she will absolutely send it. I know a lot of people have account numbers and things like that on their devices. I don't keep anything sensitive on my phone.

Now that I think about it...with the security available via apps, what could people actually store on their phone that they are worried about? For example, we can now lock notes (that may contain account numbers or passwords). Email really is the last place we should be sharing or sending sensitive information so hopefully nobody is keeping anything there. Our bank accounts should be secured with passwords so even if someone gets our phone, they shouldn't be able to access those accounts. Using "remember this password" features is a rather large security no-no. So when I really think about it...if you exercise security beyond just locking your phone, the phone lock could comfortably be disabled.

Of course, privacy is another point. I'm sure we don't want people reading through our text messages, emails or looking through our pictures. But from a security standpoint, there are far more important areas before we even get to the locking of the device.

I don't have anything on my phone in terms of documents sitting on it that shouldn't be. All my passwords are in LastPass and secured there so they couldn't get to that but... they could have access to my email (as Rob said above). Having access to that would unlock them to all my accounts by simply using the "reset password" that majority of websites use.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
If your phone goes into the wrong hands and it is unlocked, there are several things they can do.

1. They can convince banks to reset the password by giving the phone number to confirm and thus getting access to your bank info
2. They can send some unwarranted messages to the authorities and put you in trouble
3. Use it to commit another theft
4. Remove the existing SIM card, put a new one and continue using the phone.

1. If your banks only authentication method is your phone number, you need a new bank. My bank isn't giving away any information with only a phone number.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't have anything on my phone in terms of documents sitting on it that shouldn't be. All my passwords are in LastPass and secured there so they couldn't get to that but... they could have access to my email (as Rob said above). Having access to that would unlock them to all my accounts by simply using the "reset password" that majority of websites use.

True point. Another point I forgot was my 2 Step Verification for many things. These are items tied to my phone.