My device is secured. That doesn't change the fact that my bank isn't relying on my phone number for authentication. If yours is, you should hold them accountable. I've spoken with mine many of times. This has never happened.

Even the thought that banks are doing this is frightening and it's really up to us to hold them accountable for that.
    Good luck! Here is the latest scam and one of my friends was affected by the same scam:
    https://www.techlicious.com/blog/pho...-bank-account/
    02-28-2018 02:02 PM
    My device is secured. That doesn't change the fact that my bank isn't relying on my phone number for authentication. If yours is, you should hold them accountable. I've spoken with mine many of times. This has never happened.

Even the thought that banks are doing this is frightening and it's really up to us to hold them accountable for that.
    Yeah various banks will do various things. Some better then others. Mine does 2FA through SMS but to reset you need my email + security questions so it makes it harder.

Either way it isn't just about financials. There are many reasons it could be bad for someone to get into a phone. As I said previously it could be .. Idk .. my Netflix account. I don't care. I don't want anyone in any of my accounts at all for any reason.

With access to emails and your 2FA code -- damage can definitely be done.
    John Yester likes this.
    02-28-2018 02:04 PM
    Scary....

I use every amount of security on a mobile device, laptop, tablet, car, etc

People that have already chosen to ignore and do away with nothing, then that's their own stupid fault. serves them right.. and nobody will change their mind sine they have already chosen to do nothing.
    Likewise. I lock everything down as much as I can. I want to prevent anyone from getting into my accounts (big or small).
    John Yester likes this.
    02-28-2018 02:05 PM
    As inconvenient as I find Face ID compared to Touch ID, I wouldn't recommend anyone who is stumbling upon this thread, whether it be via google or a regular forum member, do what the OP is doing. Period.
    02-28-2018 02:12 PM
    Good luck! Here is the latest scam and one of my friends was affected by the same scam:
    https://www.techlicious.com/blog/pho...-bank-account/
    That goes beyond the scope of the discussion when talking about what can happen on our phones directly. That scam would affect any of us even with our phones secure.

How lax is T Mobiles system though? I worked in wireless for 8 years and ports ALWAYS required authentication via PIN/password or SSN. That's crazy that ports have been allowed so easily. Again, this is on us to push these institutions to tighten up their security measures as they are protectors of the information we entrust them with. Security really is a two way street.

Back to the point, OP should do whatever works best for him and his security needs. I exercise every security measure made available to me, personally. But I also understand the responsibility institutions have to protect our data as well. I hope everyone is playing their part.
    02-28-2018 02:47 PM
    The point of the scam is, if your phone number is in the hands of the scammers, anything is possible. In the scam I linked, they got access to the phone number by porting. In the OP's case, voila, the phone device is not secured and it doesn't take much long for a scammer to figure out what to do.

Back to the point, OP should do whatever works best for him and his security needs. I exercise every security measure made available to me, personally. But I also understand the responsibility institutions have to protect our data as well. I hope everyone is playing their part.
    OP can do whatever he wants but we as forum users cannot recommend or share this as a common practice. I can only imagine a naive user landing on iMore forums reading the OP's thread and realizing its the greatest thing to do.

That said, Sorry, I can't for good obvious reasons recommend that OP continue going through with this setup.
    Last edited by digitalbreak; 02-28-2018 at 03:38 PM.
    02-28-2018 02:53 PM
    I find it hard to believe that you have absolutely no contacts in your phone, and if you do then shame on you for not caring about them enough to keep their information secure.

Very few people have my cell number, but those who do; if I found out they took the same nonchalance attitude towards keeping the info on their phones secure as you do, I would request they remove me from their contacts.
    Very funny, please get a grip, not hard for someone to find your phone no if they really want to. Unless you are DT

My mother has a 5S and doesn't even use TID or a passcode, hey mum take my no out of your phone lol.

If you own a business like i do my no's are all over the internet.
    02-28-2018 04:55 PM
    Please set up a passcode and enable Face ID. Nobody here and anywhere would recommend setting up your phone the way you mentioned which compromises security. If you lose your phone, it’s just too easy for someone to get hold of your personal data.

FaceID is convenient and do use it.
    Please do whatever you like with the phone you paid for and use it the way you want to use it.
    Cladster likes this.
    02-28-2018 05:02 PM
    Is there a way to turn FID on and off without having to go through the setup again, like with TID how it saves your finger prints?
    02-28-2018 05:12 PM
    Well, you could leave Face ID of and just use a pin but is the extra 1.5 seconds of Face ID really preventing anything from being accomplished? For me, no. The iPhone X seems plenty fast, even with FID enabled.
    02-28-2018 06:05 PM
    Is there a way to turn FID on and off without having to go through the setup again, like with TID how it saves your finger prints?
    I doona know (too lazy to check) but Face ID is so so simple to setup....
    02-28-2018 06:06 PM
    Very funny, please get a grip, not hard for someone to find your phone no if they really want to.
    I don't find it funny. Neither does anyone else judging by the tone of this thread. Yes, it would be hard for someone to find my cell phone number... since I never give it out except to friends. I never receive spam calls on my cell. My home line, now that's different since my land line had to be posted when I got my business license (both times).

My mother has a 5S and doesn't even use TID or a passcode
    That's not something to brag about. I'm proud to say that I instilled good security habits in my children with their electronics and computers. They take the security of their private information very seriously.

If you own a business like i do my no's are all over the internet.
    I retired from my first business and sold it (web hosting company/server admin/web design/commercial graphic design], and recently applied for a second business license now that I have no kids in the house.

You should reconsider your stance on this. It's not too late to practice better security habits with your electronics.
    03-01-2018 05:38 AM
    I wouldn’t ever do that without some sort of authentication to get to the home screen. Too many weirdos around. Do as you like, though. It’s your device and your data.
    03-01-2018 06:08 AM
    I am all good thanks don’t need a lecture on security I am not a 10 year old,. The thread was about how the X is easier to use with fid off not security concerns.
    03-01-2018 06:12 AM
    I am all good thanks don’t need a lecture on security I am not a 10 year old,. The thread was about how the X is easier to use with fid off not security concerns.
    The thread is actually about someone recommending that FaceID be turned off and only requiring a passcode every four hours which should raise huge security concerns for anyone who knows anything about the subject.
    OP, as well as everyone else, is free to do what he or she pleases. The problem is we have thousands of visitors that read this stuff and many of them will simply go along with OP to “make their phone faster” without understanding that it’s bad advice for the vast majority of users.
    Sherry_B likes this.
    03-01-2018 06:46 AM
    I wish Apple would do something like Google does with trusted places and devices. I can definitely see how it would be nice to not have to put in a code, etc if you are in your house, or car, or connected to your watch or something like that.
    Vega007 likes this.
    03-01-2018 12:31 PM
    Well FID is about security and you're talking about turning security off.. So of course people will talk about security since that is what FID is all about.

You like it off -- others advise against it for the previous reasons stated.
    Rob Phillips and Sherry_B like this.
    03-01-2018 12:38 PM
    he thread is actually about someone recommending that FaceID be turned off and only requiring a passcode every four hours which should raise huge security concerns for anyone who knows anything about the subject.
    OP, as well as everyone else, is free to do what he or she pleases. The problem is we have thousands of visitors that read this stuff and many of them will simply go along with OP to “make their phone faster” without understanding that it’s bad advice for the vast majority of users.
    Ok, i took TRY IT out of the original post. I did say it solves my issues which it has, plenty of people use their iPhones with no pass codes i have always done till TID came along as it was easier to open the phone but FID has its issues for my uses.
    03-01-2018 05:10 PM
    That's not something to brag about. I'm proud to say that I instilled good security habits in my children with their electronics and computers. They take the security of their private information very seriously.
    So my 72 year old mum who uses her 5S with no passcode for calls/texts/camera, has 1 gb data a month and only checks the weather with it should i tell her no passcode mum take my no out lol.

What about my 88 year old FIL with dementia and his nokia, he has all the family phone no's in his phone, should i tell him take my no out of your phone if you don't use a passcode, laughable.

You should reconsider your stance on this. It's not too late to practice better security habits with your electronics.
    Better still people who keep personal stuff on their phones need to look after their portable electronic devices, i am in my 50's not a 10 year old kid. Have never lost or had a phone stolen in over 3 years of using them, even my old motorola brick was safe ;0
    03-01-2018 05:20 PM
    Heres a example why not everyone needs or wants passcodes.

Someone i know last week with a work iPhone 6 only used for calls/texts in Sydney left it on a train, no passcode, a nice girl found it and tracked him down through his contacts and he met her and got it back.
    He told me its just a phone for calls why he hasn't updated, doesn't use find iPhone, so if he had it password locked he wouldn't of got it back.

Before people get on their high horse about a work phone he is the BOSS lol.
    03-01-2018 05:33 PM
    Heres a example why not everyone needs or wants passcodes.

Someone i know last week with a work iPhone 6 only used for calls/texts in Sydney left it on a train, no passcode, a nice girl found it and tracked him down through his contacts and he met her and got it back.
    He told me its just a phone for calls why he hasn't updated, doesn't use find iPhone, so if he had it password locked he wouldn't of got it back.

Before people get on their high horse about a work phone he is the BOSS lol.
    The owner can still be figured out. No passcode required.

Also, there are much bigger security concerns with most users than someone getting a hold of their contacts. I doubt anyone picking up an unlocked phone really cares about who the owner associates with. What are they going to do? Call, text or email me?
    03-01-2018 05:43 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...dac2221518.jpg

Only if Siri is enabled on the lock screen. I have her disabled on mine.
    03-01-2018 06:21 PM
    Only if Siri is enabled on the lock screen. I have her disabled on mine.
    Fair enough. I’d bet most users have her enabled by default though.
    03-01-2018 06:23 PM
    they don't use Siri.
    03-01-2018 06:45 PM
    Fair enough. I’d bet most users have her enabled by default though.
    I dont use her or my wife and kids, useless.
    03-01-2018 06:46 PM
70 123