Will there be an iPhone X Plus?

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I really love the size right now though: I can operate it with one hand, it fits into everything and the display is like the Plus. Best of both worlds for me.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I can’t necessarily say there will be an “iPhone X Plus” but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a larger size phone based off of the original iPhone X.
I’m honestly torn. I love the iPhone X form factor but I also like really big screens. Price point will definitely play a role as well. If the iPhone X starts at $1,000 how much will a larger version cost? I’m hardly price sensitive but I do have a limit (although I managed not to hit it buying a $1,150 iPhone last year).

My thinking, though I don't have any real evidence to back it up, is that an X Plus phone likely will cost around the same as the iPhone X did this year -- in fact, I'm guessing that is part of the reason the X is rumored to be discontinued.

We've heard that LG will supply the OLED panels, rather than Samsung, which will be less expensive. I also personally believe (though haven't heard anything) that they new phones will likely be made of Aluminium again, rather than stainless steel -- which again will be cheaper. I suspect even with the larger screen, because of the cost savings, the cost to build an X Plus will be roughly the same as the X, so it will be able to be sold at a similar cost.

I think Apple has found that having a $1000 phone is nearing the upper limit people are willing to pay, so they will try to limit the cost of the X Plus to that price range. I think then the X+1 (whatever Apple calls it) can be under $900, and the 6.1" LED could be $100-200 lower.

I at least am hoping I'm right about this. Then again, with Apple, who really knows?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
My thinking, though I don't have any real evidence to back it up, is that an X Plus phone likely will cost around the same as the iPhone X did this year -- in fact, I'm guessing that is part of the reason the X is rumored to be discontinued.

We've heard that LG will supply the OLED panels, rather than Samsung, which will be less expensive. I also personally believe (though haven't heard anything) that they new phones will likely be made of Aluminium again, rather than stainless steel -- which again will be cheaper. I suspect even with the larger screen, because of the cost savings, the cost to build an X Plus will be roughly the same as the X, so it will be able to be sold at a similar cost.

I think Apple has found that having a $1000 phone is nearing the upper limit people are willing to pay, so they will try to limit the cost of the X Plus to that price range. I think then the X+1 (whatever Apple calls it) can be under $900, and the 6.1" LED could be $100-200 lower.

I at least am hoping I'm right about this. Then again, with Apple, who really knows?

I hope you’re right aside from LG for it’s OLED panels. Those things are garbage (Pixel 2 anyone?).

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I hope you’re right aside from LG for it’s OLED panels. Those things are garbage (Pixel 2 anyone?).

Already leaked pictures of screen assemblies for the plus size phone from LG. I'm guessing LG has learned from the Pixel 2, and Apple will have tighter tolerances for what is acceptable.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Honestly one of the primary reasons I got the X was because of the size and I was tired of plus devices. I wouldn't want a bigger phone. I think the X is the sweet spot, for me personally.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Already leaked pictures of screen assemblies for the plus size phone from LG. I'm guessing LG has learned from the Pixel 2, and Apple will have tighter tolerances for what is acceptable.

Purportedly leaked from LG. Still nothing from Apple to substantiate those claims.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

Let’s hope. I know one of the big issues with the Pixel was color variance because Google batch calibrated versus individually calibrating every display like Apple does. Still, it’s pretty well known that LG makes cheaper displays than Samsung. Hopefully LG is using better materials than they have historically.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I saw this Bloomberg news while doing continued research on important apps optimized for the all screen design of the X. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...plan-giant-high-end-iphone-lower-priced-model I could go back to a smaller than Plus if a few apps that are vital for me were optimized. Being two generations in with Plus phones I could also live with an all screen type phone that size. Mentioning the iPad like multitasking and screen split caught my attention. That would be a good argument for sticking with larger size.

Who knows that it would be called, but even looking at optimized apps I see times when I like the width of my 7 Plus so I will not be surprised to see something bigger whatever they call it.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Honestly one of the primary reasons I got the X was because of the size and I was tired of plus devices. I wouldn't want a bigger phone. I think the X is the sweet spot, for me personally.

Two apps I use for enterprise IT admin are still not optimized for the new style display so my having thoughts of a little smaller physical size as nice are put aside again.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2