iPhone X after 2 months....

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Yep already know that LG 18:9 Samsung 18.5:9 OnePlus 5T 18:9 Pixel XL2 18:9 to name a few however my hope is it’s something that will change in the future.

I think instead you'll see video change. Obviously movies and TV are unlikely to change their standard (in the near future); but I think you could see YouTube and even Netflix go to 18:9 or 19:9 as their standard as the majority start using the new phones.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Let us know what you decide! I love the OLED screen on the X

So I returned my X tonight as my 14 days were up. I wanted to give the 8 plus a try and see how I liked it compared to the X. Never had a plus before. Have a 7 before/now. After only a few hours I already miss the X. The 8 plus is gigantic to me. I’ve played with it before in the store multiple times and knew it was big but now that I’m using it, wow! I’m thinking the X is the perfect size for me but just had to try this thing. I’m going to try and give it some time but not sure I’ll make it, . Will update if I go back to the X .

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So I returned my X tonight as my 14 days were up. I wanted to give the 8 plus a try and see how I liked it compared to the X. Never had a plus before. Have a 7 before/now. After only a few hours I already miss the X. The 8 plus is gigantic to me. I’ve played with it before in the store multiple times and knew it was big but now that I’m using it, wow! I’m thinking the X is the perfect size for me but just had to try this thing. I’m going to try and give it some time but not sure I’ll make it, . Will update if I go back to the X .

Don’t worry, I did the same thing. TWICE. Decided the X was for me in the end. Been happy ever since. I want to try an android phone, but don’t want to waste the time or money knowing I will come back to the iPhone after a month or two.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Yeah the X really is the perfect size! I had gone back to a plus model for a day and it was way too big for me. It is indeed gigantic after using the X. I think we will get the update soon :)

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the X really is the perfect size! I had gone back to a plus model for a day and it was way too big for me. It is indeed gigantic after using the X. I think we will get the update soon :)

Funny. I just held a 7 Plus for the first time since November and it felt gigantic! I had forgotten what a huge device it was.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Funny. I just held a 7 Plus for the first time since November and it felt gigantic! I had forgotten what a huge device it was.

It’s literally huge for no reason....if the bezels were cut down the form factor would be much better. A little too late for that though

Jbrown99

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
I'm 2 weeks in and was taking photos of my 8+ to sell.
Was like whoa this 8+ is huge. Didn't think I'd the X form-factor/size, but I am.

parker5011

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

This was my problem. Had the 6. Loved the size but the 7plus camera attracted me. I got it and immediately regretted it. It was too big for me. Was gonna get the 8 and went in the launch day of the X and they had 1 left. Walked out w it. Haven’t regretted it yet.

My wife has a 7+ so when I hold her phone from title to time it kills me how large it is.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
This was my problem. Had the 6. Loved the size but the 7plus camera attracted me. I got it and immediately regretted it. It was too big for me. Was gonna get the 8 and went in the launch day of the X and they had 1 left. Walked out w it. Haven’t regretted it yet.

My wife has a 7+ so when I hold her phone from title to time it kills me how large it is.

Sounds probably where I will end when it’s all said and done. Thanks for the input.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I originally bought an iPhone 7 (a month after they were released) but returned it after about a week. I returned it to buy the 7 Plus, the 7's screen was just too small for my old eyes, but I loved the feel of it in hand. So, when I got my X it felt perfect in my hand and, with the larger screen size, it also had a screen I could be happy with. On top of that (as a former WebOS users) using gestures felt a bit like "coming home." I'm one of those that are completely happy with the X; with the caveats of Apple fixing all the bugs in iOS 11 (unfortunately, it appears we are waiting for iOS 12, and this isn't only with the X) and getting all the apps updated for the screen size.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
It may be huge to accommodate a larger battery too. Me no know.

This may be for another thread but how would you compare your battery life on the 8+ with the X? In my 2 weeks I used the X it was a certain improvement from my little 7!

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
This may be for another thread but how would you compare your battery life on the 8+ with the X? In my 2 weeks I used the X it was a certain improvement from my little 7!

I don’t have an 8+. I have two Xes. The X has a bigger battery than the 7/8 but smaller than the 7+/8+. From what I’ve read, results are as I’d expect with X battery life being in between 7/8 and the 7+/8+.

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I don’t have an 8+. I have two Xes. The X has a bigger battery than the 7/8 but smaller than the 7+/8+. From what I’ve read, results are as I’d expect with X battery life being in between 7/8 and the 7+/8+.

I’m sorry. I thought you had a 7+ or 8+ as well.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Interesting that the unreliability of Face ID was the breaking point. As some others have said, Face ID is more reliable for me than Touch ID was. Now I want an iPad Pro with Face ID.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Actually, the X battery is slightly larger than the 8+ battery; the X battery is 2716 mAh, the 8+ is 2691 mAh. The 7+ battery is larger, at 2900 mAh; though allegedly the 8+ battery will last longer due to the processor being more efficient.

It does appear, though, that the 8+ battery life is slightly better than the X (depending on usage); much of the reason is thought to be the FaceID scanner is less power efficient than TouchID.

Last edited:

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Actually, the X battery is slightly larger than the 8+ battery; the X battery is 2716 mAh, the 8+ is 2691 mAh. The 7+ battery is larger, at 2900 mAh; though allegedly the 8+ battery will last longer due to the processor being more efficient.

It does appear, though, that the 8+ battery life is slightly better than the X (depending on usage); much of the reason is though to be the FaceID scanner is less power efficient than TouchID.

Thx for clarifying

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Interesting stuff here. Family upgrades have me thinking about handing down my 7 Plus that is fine for the most part. Smaller and cameras are attractive. My concerns are being a true power user - senior enterprise IT admin.

• The speed and reliability of touch ID stands out.
  • Plus (7 plus) vs X battery life is another concern.
  • App formatting in the screen seems to be a disappearing concern.

:)

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
From my experience battery life was similar for me on the 7 Plus, SE, and X. I would generally end the day at work around the same % left. I usually don't have a lot of screen on time during the day, just Bluetooth and music/podcasts, and I know others usage is much different than mine, but for me these three are about the same. I saw a couple youtube videos where the X did slightly better than the 8 plus, but I imagine you could also find others where it was the other way around.