How to identify if your iPhone is refurbished, replacement, personalized or new

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Good point! I didn’t even think of that. It came in a box just like I got at the store - same apple packaging, new charger and headphones, etc - just like I got at AT&T

Ok. So it was a brand new retail unit then. So this wouldn’t answer our question about the lettering. But thanks for trying to help though.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Good point! I didn’t even think of that. It came in a box just like I got at the store - same apple packaging, new charger and headphones, etc - just like I got at AT&T

Then you got the brand new one. I had a replacement in the past and saw the guy took out the replacement phone in a small generic box not the original one and just handed me the phone without the box.

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I’m curious for someone with a replacement or even an engraved iPhone would chime in. I have an engraved iPod mini 4th Generation but that’s about it

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The article didn't mention if the device were purchased at an approved retailer like Verizon. I assume those start with the "M" as well.

cinnamin

Nov 16, 2017
Visit site
I have a replacement iPhone got it at the Apple store. My model number does start with a letter “M”. It came in a slim white box no headphones or charger.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Just got this yesterday, old one had a bad speaker. Model number does start with an N. Old phone had a scratch on the screen, but now I basically have a new phone. Also interestingly, my old one was locked to Sprint, new model number is a Verizon model number, and I have confirmed it is unlocked (used with Mint and Sprint SIM cards). Bonus!

Attachments

• 20180213_151610364_iOS.jpg
    20180213_151610364_iOS.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3

cinnamin

Nov 16, 2017
Visit site
Just got this yesterday, old one had a bad speaker. Model number does start with an N. Old phone had a scratch on the screen, but now I basically have a new phone. Also

interestingly, my old one was locked to Sprint, new model number is a Verizon model number, and I have confirmed it is unlocked (used with Mint and Sprint SIM cards). Bonus!

That’s awesome! now I’m curious to see if my phone is unlocked.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
That’s awesome! now I’m curious to see if my phone is unlocked.

Compare your part number to the numbers listed here. It will be the same just with an N replacing the M.

My replacement was the Verizon 256GB Silver (NQCP2LL/A), but what I sent in was the Sprint 256GB Silver (MQCW2LL/A). Obviously they are both A1865 model phones. I doubt you would get an A1865 if you sent in an A1901, but I guess that would be possible since the A1865 would work on the same carriers (and more) as A1901.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW