How to identify if your iPhone is refurbished, replacement, personalized or new

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I thought there was a time not long ago where you were no longer able to identity a refurbished iPhone.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I thought there was a time not long ago where you were no longer able to identity a refurbished iPhone.
Mmmh... I don’t remember. The first refurbished iPhone I received was an iPhone 4 (home button dead after 13 months) and the serial number was different from production’s.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Mmmh... I don’t remember. The first refurbished iPhone I received was an iPhone 4 (home button dead after 13 months) and the serial number was different from production’s.

There rumblings a few years back that Apple had changed its serial numbers somehow, but I will have to search the web for it. I did find a thread from a few years back where an inability to recognize a refurbished iPhone was discussed.

https://forums.imore.com/ask-question/332934-how-can-i-know-if-my-iphone-refurbished-new.html

I’m en route to the office now so I probably won’t be back in the forums until later this evening. Anyway, take care and have a great day...

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Someone in the comments claims to work for Apple, and said that the article is not accurate.

Well we just need somebody who has a replacement iPhone to confirm if there is truth to the article. Unfortunately I have several iPhones in my house and none are replacements.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Someone in the comments claims to work for Apple, and said that the article is not accurate.

I was going to say can you quote that person but I saw it inside the article that someone claims to be an Apple employee. Anyone can claim to be an Apple employee so we don’t know for sure unless someone here have a refurbished phone or had a replacement so we can confirm it.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Anyone can claim to be an Apple employee so we don’t know for sure

That's why I said "claims to be" instead of "he/she is". ;)

Hopefully someone with a refurb will chime in. I tend to take these types of articles with a grain of salt when there's no official links to back anything up. At the moment all I can find online are anecdotal statements.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Fortunately none of my current iPhone are refurbished ( 8+, 6S, SE and 5S), so I can’t check it. In the past it was correct, at least in my case.

GadgetMomma

May 12, 2009
Visit site
I have a replacement phone (dropped and shattered my screen the week after I got it). I replaced it through Assurion and my number starts with an M

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I have a replacement phone (dropped and shattered my screen the week after I got it). I replaced it through Assurion and my number starts with an M

If you got your phone close to the release date, chances are they had no refurbished phones in the pipeline yet, and all the replacement phones were also new phones. I think it takes a month, or maybe a bit more, before they have the returned phones refurbished and available to be used as replacements.

GadgetMomma

May 12, 2009
Visit site
If you got your phone close to the release date, chances are they had no refurbished phones in the pipeline yet, and all the replacement phones were also new phones. I think it takes a month, or maybe a bit more, before they have the returned phones refurbished and available to be used as replacements.

I got mine right before Christmas, so I was honesty expecting a refurb. I honestly don’t feel like mine is though.

GadgetMomma

May 12, 2009
Visit site
Did it come in a retail box or other packaging? That would really tell us a lot.

Good point! I didn’t even think of that. It came in a box just like I got at the store - same apple packaging, new charger and headphones, etc - just like I got at AT&T

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner