iPhone X vs Google Pixel 2XL

Luke18

Dec 18, 2017
Visit site
Hello all,

Posted over in android central as well but was curious if anyone here has had the chance to try out the Pixel 2XL? I was originally maybe going with the Note 8( just not sure I’m going to use that phone to it’s ability)but have done a lot of research and am REALLY liking the Pixel 2XL.Its said to be the iPhone of the Android world!! LOL!!

With that being said, and I’m sure it’s been talked about....but is the screen as bad as everyone says it is....(burn in, graininess, blue shift, etc). I will be honest that’s the only thing that’s keeping me from getting the 2XL.

Now onto comparing it to the X. I currently own a iPhone 6+ and have owned every iPhone since the 3GS.....for people that have had both phones or have both,(2XL AND X), what are your thoughts? Is it worth trying something different, getting outside my comfort zone of the iPhone world?

Any opinions and information is wanted so please share experiences! Thanks!!

Luke

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
The pixel is almost flawless with an awesome camera. The screen is fine to me some people look to close. Between the pixel and the x IOS has the better OS in my opinion plus the chip in the x is much faster. The pixel is smooth with zero lag like the note which is one of its selling points.

worldspy99

Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I have owned both devices.
Here is a quick breakdown.

Hardware - chip - X is more powerful and more future proof.
Hardware screen - X is calibrated better and is the Samsung panel.
OS - Both are fine. I prefer notifications and keyboard on Android.
Camera - Pixel 2XL is ahead at least for still photography. Video is ahead on X due to the xtreme slow mo advantage. X had the portrait mode parlor tricks though. But from a cloud storage perspective Google gives you better storage options.
Battery life - probably even
Form factor - toss up, while X is compact, it's chunky and the camera hump is terrible. Pixel 2XL is larger but has larger screen and the design language of a textured surface back appeals to me.
Speakers - actually both are quite even. Audio output via port is slightly better on the X though.

My personal preference is the Pixel 2. I don't like the larger form factor. I sold my 2XL and kept the Pixel 2.
I use an iPad Air 2 with a keyboard to get my fill of iOS. On the iPad, I turn off all notifications, use the Anker BT keyboard and have minimal entertainment consumption apps. This way all my iOS gripes go away - mainly keyboard, notifications and personalized layout of the main and subsequent screens.

Good luck with your choice. Either one is a great device which will easily last you two years or more and is guaranteed updates.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I've had both and I'd like to share what I think.

Cameras: Pixel 2 XL has the best cameras for still photography, hands down. The X blows out the highlights and tends to overexpose shots. The X is better for video, though, because of the 4K 60fps and slo-mo 260fps.

Build quality: this goes to the X. When you lift it, you can tell it's a premium device. It's dense, made of glass and metal. The 2 XL, on the other hand, is metal that feels like plastic and glass, but it's so light. It feels better in hand, IMO.

Battery life: The battery life on the Pixel 2 XL blows the battery life of the iPhone X out of the water. At the end of the workday, the battery on the 2 XL is at 70% whereas the battery on the X was at 20-30%. The nice thing about the X though is that it supports wireless charging (the 2 XL doesn't), but the 2 XL comes with a quick charging cable right out of the box and is immediately supported. Apple makes you buy a different charger in order to get fast charging.

Display: The X has the better screen, period. The 2 XL's display is okay. There's a weird jelly scrolling effect when you're viewing blacks in an entirely dark room. The blue tint is about the same as the X. The X is better calibrated for colors.

Apple Pay vs Android Pay: Apple Pay is accepted at more places (4 million stores) whereas Android Pay is only accepted at about 1.5 million stores. That's something to think about.

Everything else: The Pixel 2 XL is the phone to own if you're invested heavily in the Android ecosystem. It gets monthly security updates and it integrates well with all of Google's software. The X is the device to own if you're invested heavily in Apple's ecosystem, especially if you're invested in iMessage and FaceTime. The software experience is better on the Pixel 2 XL, IMO. I just hate iOS.

Summary: If you prefer smaller devices with an amazing screen and are invested heavily in iOS, the X is the device to get. If you want the best cameras, great battery life, and an overall better experience, the Pixel 2 XL is the way to go.

Last edited:

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I too have both devices for the time being. I have gone back and forth a few times, using the Pixel for about 2 months consecutively and here is my breakdown.

Hardware - Apple wins on this in just about every aspect. Screen is much better, there is a weird jelly scrolling effect with the Pixel that makes it look really bad at times and it is also much darker in many situations than the X. The X feels way more premium and the size of the Pixel is a bit much even for me. The Pixel does have the FP scanner though and I still find myself reaching for it. I am not a huge fan of FaceID. Speakers are fairly even but the Pixel has a slight advantage here. Wifi is better on the Pixel, but Bluetooth is awful on it, constantly disconnecting (I had 3 and all had this issue).
Software - The obvious draw for me getting the Pixel was the software (and camera) and it takes it here. Notifications are better, having choices is nicer, I like Chrome a bit more in Android than iOS (or Safari) and I like Assistant better than Siri by a long shot.
Camera - No contest, the Pixel wins. Video on the iPhone is a bit better with the 4k 60fps and super slow mo but the stills and portraits on the Pixel are outrageously good. iPhone X camera is still great but the Pixel had my wife conflicted just based on the camera.
Intangibles - Apple has it here with Apple Pay being more refined, the Apple Watch outstripping anything Google or its partners offer, wireless charging, and iMessage/FaceTime being more preferred for my use.

All this being said I am back on iOS for a few reasons but I did love my Pixel a lot. Can't go wrong with either.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I too had an X, went over to the pixel 2 and now back on my X. I was hoping the incredible camera on the pixel would seal the deal but the screen quality and form factor on the X, in addition to the Apple ecosystem has kept me using iOS.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I went from the 6+ to the 8+. Yep, they pretty much look the same. But it works, I am happy with the experience, why screw it up ?

I’m less than an hour from four Apple stores, less than a half hour from one. Took the wife's 6, spent the $29, got a new battery shoved in it, and gave it to the mother-in-law. She’s happy, wife is happy, and of course I’m happy.

If you’re getting good service from your 6+ and are happy with it, why change ? Slap a new battery in it, or trade it in on an 8+.

sleepnclass

Feb 10, 2018
Visit site
I have both (Pixel XL 2 and iPhone X). Messaging on android is a total disaster. However, Gboard is a much better keyboard (the iOS version is trash, my guess is Apple is to blame) and android has a better notification system.

I prefer iOS for speed and smoothness. Android isn’t there yet. But with customization, keyboard and notifications, android makes a good phone. I wish Apple would copy the android notification system and androids level of customization.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I had the opportunity to play with two, for a while, and I wouldn’t buy one.
Don’t get me wrong, in Android world the only brands I would consider are Sony and Google, but with the Pixel 2 xl google made a huge mistake with an unacceptable display on such a premium product (and price tag !).

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I have both (Pixel XL 2 and iPhone X). Messaging on android is a total disaster. However, Gboard is a much better keyboard (the iOS version is trash, my guess is Apple is to blame) and android has a better notification system.

I prefer iOS for speed and smoothness. Android isn’t there yet. But with customization, keyboard and notifications, android makes a good phone. I wish Apple would copy the android notification system and androids level of customization.
To be honest gboard is the best third party keyboard you can install on iOS imho.
I ended up removing it because I don’t like to have a Google product on my iPhone for privacy reasons, but it worked quite well compared to others I tried.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Hello all,

Posted over in android central as well but was curious if anyone here has had the chance to try out the Pixel 2XL? I was originally maybe going with the Note 8( just not sure I’m going to use that phone to it’s ability)but have done a lot of research and am REALLY liking the Pixel 2XL.Its said to be the iPhone of the Android world!! LOL!!

With that being said, and I’m sure it’s been talked about....but is the screen as bad as everyone says it is....(burn in, graininess, blue shift, etc). I will be honest that’s the only thing that’s keeping me from getting the 2XL.

Now onto comparing it to the X. I currently own a iPhone 6+ and have owned every iPhone since the 3GS.....for people that have had both phones or have both,(2XL AND X), what are your thoughts? Is it worth trying something different, getting outside my comfort zone of the iPhone world?

Any opinions and information is wanted so please share experiences! Thanks!!

Luke
This is a question that always puzzled me... if you currently own an iPhone and, as you stated, previously owned every other iPhone, hadn’t you invested in Apple ecosystem? How can you consider to jump ship ?
I couldn’t do that... iCloud, apps, Apple Watch, Mac, iPad, accessories... I couldn’t just “jump ship and everything is the same”, even if Google will release a better product (which I don’t think is the case here).
My two cents

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It’s okay to try different brands just like it’s okay to keep using what currently works for you. To each his or her own in that regard.

With that in mind, I miss the good ol’ days when a forum kept true to it roots.....

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
To be honest gboard is the best third party keyboard you can install on iOS imho.
I ended up removing it because I don’t like to have a Google product on my iPhone for privacy reasons, but it worked quite well compared to others I tried.

I’ve used GBoard and frankly I love it. I like how you can easily customise it (including the keyboard showing an image or not have borders around the individual keys). Compared to the competent but unspectacular Samsung Keyboard and the stubbornly rigid Apple alternative the Google one is awesome.