Exchanged my iPhone X today, was going crazy

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Not saying he'll do it or trying to be a Negative Nancy but he always has the choice of just calling up Apple and canceling it to get a refund on his prorated amount.

I have traded many phones over the years and never had any issues. I had a good vibe about the person and we where all honest and upfront and I not worried at all.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
In Australia you can get a new phone on contract from any Telco and sell it same day no problems, people upgrade contracts and are happy with the old phone so sell the new one.
Contract is with the Sim and person on account not the actual phone.
My current 2 year contract came with a iPhone 864GB which i sold and bought a X outright.

So you could swap phones with anyone as long as its not been stolen.

mcg3745

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
Sounds like a solid deal. Like the OP, i have made a hundred different kinds of trades and deals on phones. I usually never get to meet the person, let alone check all the details at an Apple store! Enjoy the Silver X!

timocrates

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
I have Applecare, but I think this was under warranty. They didn’t charge me anything.

I think they’ll exchange your unit for a refurbished one the first year under warranty, but I expect AppleCare to be a lot better program. I should check that out in detail; I have it on my 8 Plus.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I think they’ll exchange your unit for a refurbished one the first year under warranty, but I expect AppleCare to be a lot better program. I should check that out in detail; I have it on my 8 Plus.

It doesn’t bother me if it’s a refurbished unit or a new one, it’s still under warranty and that’s the most important part.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It doesn’t bother me if it’s a refurbished unit or a new one, it’s still under warranty and that’s the most important part.

Yep! Not to mention I’ve received several refurbs from Apple over the years and they are virtually indistinguishable from brand new ones. Refurbs come with new batteries as well.

SparklyPickle

May 24, 2017
Visit site
As long as you have the receipt showing the device was paid in full and not financed thru Apple or a carrier, you won’t have any issues. It’s the ones that are financed that you have to worry about.

Maybe it’s different in the US. Here, in Canada, it doesn’t change anything. Just call the carrier you’re with to have the phone blacklisted and bam. Blacklisted.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Maybe it’s different in the US. Here, in Canada, it doesn’t change anything. Just call the carrier you’re with to have the phone blacklisted and bam. Blacklisted.

Not the same here and I have had someone try to blacklist a phone I had purchased who said it was stolen to try and collect some insurance money.

I took my receipt and a copy of the posting to the carrier and they removed the blacklist on the device and charged the person with fraud.

It’s only happened once in all the years I have been buying and selling used devices. That’s why I always check IMEI numbers and usually only deal with people I personally know when it comes to buying used phones.

I have had great luck when I bought used blackberry devices from the Canadian folks in Windsor. Never had one issue with any used device I bought over there.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Not the same here and I have had someone try to blacklist a phone I had purchased who said it was stolen to try and collect some insurance money.

I took my receipt and a copy of the posting to the carrier and they removed the blacklist on the device and charged the person with fraud.

It’s only happened once in all the years I have been buying and selling used devices. That’s why I always check IMEI numbers and usually only deal with people I personally know when it comes to buying used phones.

I have had great luck when I bought used blackberry devices from the Canadian folks in Windsor. Never had one issue with any used device I bought over there.

Post 21, you said you never had any issues. Now you say you had somebody try and blacklist a phone on you before and you had it removed. Which is it? You know what they say when stories change?

timocrates

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site

I suppose I have had more trouble with first issues than refurbs. I had two iPhone 6 Plus bricks and one SE crashed just short of the two week money-back window. My only refurb trouble came with my iPad Mini, which was trash from the get-go.

I have been told that the magical year-long warranty period dates from first sale, and doesn’t begin again with each reissue. This is so?

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I suppose I have had more trouble with first issues than refurbs. I had two iPhone 6 Plus bricks and one SE crashed just short of the two week money-back window. My only refurb trouble came with my iPad Mini, which was trash from the get-go.

I have been told that the magical year-long warranty period dates from first sale, and doesn’t begin again with each reissue. This is so?

I personally have had no issues with any replacement device from Apple. My experience has been pretty good dealing with my local Apple stores.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
We did check with apple and both our devices where purchased at the Apple store and are paid in full, no worries. He actually had his original receipt and I emailed him a copy of mine, so all is good.

That is great that it worked out, and the fact that you literally did it in the Apple Store would give me peace of mind.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Thank for sharing your experience. You ended up happy and so did the other person. It all worked out and that's the end of story.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I come from a different mold where your handshake and your word is your bond and I have lived by this principle my entire life and in my business. It's sad that they don't teach this in our schools anymore, glad I am semi-retired and are close to ending my career, the way I see some of these new folks running their businesses scares me, I am just old school.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I come from a different mold where your handshake and your word is your bond and I have lived by this principle my entire life and in my business. It's sad that they don't teach this in our schools anymore, glad I am semi-retired and are close to ending my career, the way I see some of these new folks running their businesses scares me, I am just old school.

It's good to be old school. I love hearing stories like yours where everyone walks away happy and content. :)

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
As far as I know, even with AppleCare+ they are giving you a refurbished unit

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
The only thing could have worried me is the battery. A refurbished unit has a new battery, while an used one could have several cycles on it. BTW his unit was less than two months old (according to your narrative) so it shouldn’t have more than 30 cycles on the battery. Did you check?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods