It doesn’t bother me if it’s a refurbished unit or a new one, it’s still under warranty and that’s the most important part.
    Yep! Not to mention I’ve received several refurbs from Apple over the years and they are virtually indistinguishable from brand new ones. Refurbs come with new batteries as well.
    bakron1 and nikkisharif like this.
    02-08-2018 06:24 AM
    As long as you have the receipt showing the device was paid in full and not financed thru Apple or a carrier, you won’t have any issues. It’s the ones that are financed that you have to worry about.
    Maybe it’s different in the US. Here, in Canada, it doesn’t change anything. Just call the carrier you’re with to have the phone blacklisted and bam. Blacklisted.
    02-08-2018 09:41 AM
    Maybe it’s different in the US. Here, in Canada, it doesn’t change anything. Just call the carrier you’re with to have the phone blacklisted and bam. Blacklisted.
    Not the same here and I have had someone try to blacklist a phone I had purchased who said it was stolen to try and collect some insurance money.

I took my receipt and a copy of the posting to the carrier and they removed the blacklist on the device and charged the person with fraud.

It’s only happened once in all the years I have been buying and selling used devices. That’s why I always check IMEI numbers and usually only deal with people I personally know when it comes to buying used phones.

I have had great luck when I bought used blackberry devices from the Canadian folks in Windsor. Never had one issue with any used device I bought over there.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    02-08-2018 09:47 AM
    Not the same here and I have had someone try to blacklist a phone I had purchased who said it was stolen to try and collect some insurance money.

I took my receipt and a copy of the posting to the carrier and they removed the blacklist on the device and charged the person with fraud.

It’s only happened once in all the years I have been buying and selling used devices. That’s why I always check IMEI numbers and usually only deal with people I personally know when it comes to buying used phones.

I have had great luck when I bought used blackberry devices from the Canadian folks in Windsor. Never had one issue with any used device I bought over there.
    Post 21, you said you never had any issues. Now you say you had somebody try and blacklist a phone on you before and you had it removed. Which is it? You know what they say when stories change?
    02-08-2018 10:26 AM
    I had one issue in all my years, that’s it and that was many years ago. Nothing recent.
    02-08-2018 10:32 AM
    It doesn’t bother me if it’s a refurbished unit or a new one, it’s still under warranty and that’s the most important part.
    I suppose I have had more trouble with first issues than refurbs. I had two iPhone 6 Plus bricks and one SE crashed just short of the two week money-back window. My only refurb trouble came with my iPad Mini, which was trash from the get-go.

I have been told that the magical year-long warranty period dates from first sale, and doesn’t begin again with each reissue. This is so?
    02-08-2018 10:51 AM
    I suppose I have had more trouble with first issues than refurbs. I had two iPhone 6 Plus bricks and one SE crashed just short of the two week money-back window. My only refurb trouble came with my iPad Mini, which was trash from the get-go.

I have been told that the magical year-long warranty period dates from first sale, and doesn’t begin again with each reissue. This is so?
    I personally have had no issues with any replacement device from Apple. My experience has been pretty good dealing with my local Apple stores.
    02-08-2018 10:54 AM
    We did check with apple and both our devices where purchased at the Apple store and are paid in full, no worries. He actually had his original receipt and I emailed him a copy of mine, so all is good.
    That is great that it worked out, and the fact that you literally did it in the Apple Store would give me peace of mind.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    02-08-2018 11:34 AM
    That was nice of you! I don't trust people that much, lol. Glad you've got a working phone now though!
    SparklyPickle and etad putta like this.
    02-08-2018 12:24 PM
    Thank for sharing your experience. You ended up happy and so did the other person. It all worked out and that's the end of story.
    bakron1, ladyc0524 and nikkisharif like this.
    02-08-2018 12:31 PM
    I come from a different mold where your handshake and your word is your bond and I have lived by this principle my entire life and in my business. It's sad that they don't teach this in our schools anymore, glad I am semi-retired and are close to ending my career, the way I see some of these new folks running their businesses scares me, I am just old school.
    02-08-2018 02:21 PM
    I come from a different mold where your handshake and your word is your bond and I have lived by this principle my entire life and in my business. It's sad that they don't teach this in our schools anymore, glad I am semi-retired and are close to ending my career, the way I see some of these new folks running their businesses scares me, I am just old school.

It's good to be old school. I love hearing stories like yours where everyone walks away happy and content.
    02-08-2018 06:45 PM
    I love happy endings! I agree that it’s very sad that this isn’t taught in our schools anymore!
    02-08-2018 10:06 PM
    I think they’ll exchange your unit for a refurbished one the first year under warranty, but I expect AppleCare to be a lot better program. I should check that out in detail; I have it on my 8 Plus.
    As far as I know, even with AppleCare+ they are giving you a refurbished unit
    02-09-2018 06:19 AM
    The only thing could have worried me is the battery. A refurbished unit has a new battery, while an used one could have several cycles on it. BTW his unit was less than two months old (according to your narrative) so it shouldn’t have more than 30 cycles on the battery. Did you check?
    02-09-2018 06:22 AM
    The only thing could have worried me is the battery. A refurbished unit has a new battery, while an used one could have several cycles on it. BTW his unit was less than two months old (according to your narrative) so it shouldn’t have more than 30 cycles on the battery. Did you check?
    As I said, I am not even concerned about it, I haven’t had any issues with a replacement device in the past and the device is functioning perfectly.
    MaxSmarties and nikkisharif like this.
    02-09-2018 06:25 AM
    As far as I know, even with AppleCare+ they are giving you a refurbished unit
    They issue refurbs only for out-of-warranty replacements.
    02-09-2018 06:31 AM
    I don’t think so.
    I received only 4 replacements in my long carrier as an Apple customer (since 1989 ) and ALL of them were under warranty (most of them under AppleCare) and ALL of them were refurbished units: an iPod Mini 2nd gen, a Time Capsule, an iPhone 4 and an Apple Watch Sport.
    They were perfectly fine and look exactly like new units, but they were refurbished
    bakron1 likes this.
    02-09-2018 06:49 AM
    All replacements, even under AppleCare are refurbs unless a) they dont have any refurbs to issue or b) you get someone willing to bypass s.o.p.

Ive had probably 2 dozen replacements in my household and all but maybe 2 we’re refurbs, all with Applecare.
    bakron1 likes this.
    02-09-2018 07:55 AM
    That’s awesome!!! Thanks for sharing your story...glad 2 people came out happy with this deal
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    02-09-2018 10:24 AM
    How do you know he didn't lick the phone all over or place between his butt cheeks?
    etad putta likes this.
    02-09-2018 10:44 AM

All refurbs from Apple have brand new outer shells, new screens (if the previous owner scratched it), and new batteries. Same warranty as with a brand new one.

(This info is more for new people reading this thread.)

How do you know he didn't lick the phone all over or place between his butt cheeks?
    Sounds like you ave some experience in this area, hmm?
    mogelijk likes this.
    02-09-2018 10:56 AM
    All refurbs from Apple have brand new outer shells, new screens (if the previous owner scratched it), and new batteries. Same warranty as with a brand new one.

(This info is more for new people reading this thread.)

Sounds like you ave some experience in this area, hmm?
    of course. I typed this using my tongue.. feel free to PM me
    Sherry_B likes this.
    02-09-2018 11:01 AM
    of course. I typed this using my tongue.. feel free to PM me
    Thank you for the morning giggle. Actually, it was more than a giggle. I laughed, really hard. It's not often you find someone with a quick wit..... I like it.
    02-09-2018 12:47 PM
    My thoughts exactly. If I'm paying this much it's going to be my arse juice and boogers on it, not someone else's.
    02-11-2018 10:27 AM
56 123