I have to decide today IF I want to make the leap to the X. I have the iPhone 8 (non plus) and today it's day 14 with AT&T.
    more: du an 17 pham hung
    I like the 8 well enough but the X keeps causing me to reconsider. I do dig the larger screen in what's basically the same sized phone but my concern is the lack of the home button and touchID. I am not sure if I'd like faceID. My phone sits flat on a desk for half the day. With touchID on the 8 I just tap and go to unlock and can then use the phone without ever picking it up.

With the X I do not think this is possible and the phone will need to be picked up to unlock it every single time. Considering I unlock it numerous times a day this is a concern. But, I also think this is where Apple is going and that the iPhone 8 will be the last iPhone with a home button. Getting the X now could get me use to it going forward so if I upgrade to the 9 (or whatever) later this year I'd already be adjusted to gestures and the lack of touchID.
    more: du an park residence le van luong
    I am seriously conflicted and go back and forth daily on the decision.

I really wish Apple would go the route of Android and allow trusted places and devices. For instance if it knows it's connected to a Mac, give me the option to turn off faceID. Or if I am connected to a trusted network give the option to turn off faceID ect. Connected to an Apple Watch? Same. Trusted places works great on Android and I don't know why Apple did not include something similar.
    more: du an iris garden my dinh
    Anyways, today is the day. Anyone using an X that perviously used an iPhone in the same manner as I do? If so your thoughts are appreciated.
    Last edited by doomsmith; 02-07-2018 at 04:56 AM.
    02-06-2018 01:23 AM
    Coming from a 7 Plus, I also unlock my X a ton of times everyday and no issues with Face ID. I'd say go for the X, unless using Face ID is really a hassle for you.
    02-06-2018 02:08 AM
    So far I've had a really good experience with Face ID. But I've only had the phone for about 5 days.
    02-06-2018 05:01 AM
    I have my X on my desk most of the time. Over time, I have trained it to scan my face while flat on my desk as long as I am in relative view of it and it’s by me, where I am sitting. It works really well.

You do have to be patient with FaceID. Over time, it becomes more accurate and quicker as it learns. It’s not perfect by any stretch of imagination but it’s impressive for a first generation version and more convenient in certain situations.
    tadpoles likes this.
    02-06-2018 06:04 AM
    The X is the stronger device and Face ID is fine. Of course the X is a helluva lot more expensive so it should be a helluva better than the 8. I'm not sure if the premium is justified for a device that won't be any faster and won't have a significantly larger screen for videos?

The X is nice but how important is that extra money you'd have to spend for it?
    aximtreo likes this.
    02-06-2018 06:08 AM
    OP, if you’re still having reservation about the iPhone X then it recommend you keep the iPhone 8 you currently have. I have both devices and if TouchID is the dealbreaker then the choice for “you” is clear.
    02-06-2018 07:10 AM
    I have a wireless charging stand that sits on my desk. The stand makes it easy to just look at my phone and have it unlock. I'm also one of the people that has no issues with FaceID and I have come to prefer it over TouchID.

Whether it is worth it for you to exchange is something only you can decide, and how much the extra money means to you. For me, the X is absolutely worth the price difference. I've come to love FaceID, I find it less "intrusive" than TouchID, not to mention that it allows me to easily see and respond to notifications. I also really like not having the home button. I adapted to gestures quickly (likely because of a previous WebOS device) and find the gestures more convenient and intuitive than reaching for a home button.

If money isn't a factor, I'd definitely say to try the X and see how it works for you. I'm guessing you think you could be happy with FaceID and the gestures, or you wouldn't be asking on the iPhone X forum, and so it is worth trying. You may be like me, and others here, who find it now hard to go back to the older iPhones.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    02-06-2018 08:47 AM
    I was going to suggest a stand too, that way it might work more easily with FaceID.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    02-06-2018 10:22 AM
    The X is the stronger device and Face ID is fine. Of course the X is a helluva lot more expensive so it should be a helluva better than the 8. I'm not sure if the premium is justified for a device that won't be any faster and won't have a significantly larger screen for videos?

The X is nice but how important is that extra money you'd have to spend for it?
    I noticed the speed difference, it’s considerable!
    The screen might not be significantly bigger, but it’s definitely nicer!
    02-06-2018 11:35 AM
    Sounds like your not satisfied with the 8. I think that tells you something.
    02-06-2018 12:16 PM
    “With touchID on the 8 I just tap and go to unlock and can then use the phone without ever picking it up. “ quoted from doomsith

With Face ID you talk to Siri to do something on your phone while your phone is locked and all you need to do is look at it. You don’t need to touch it. Also helpful when opening app that requires FACE ID. Not to mention entering username and password saved in Safari. All you need to do is look at your phone.
    02-06-2018 02:36 PM
    I noticed the speed difference, it’s considerable!
    The screen might not be significantly bigger, but it’s definitely nicer!
    I must’ve got my wires crossed. I thought the iPhone 8 and X both had the A11 SoC, which I inferred would make them equally fast.
    02-06-2018 03:52 PM
    I must’ve got my wires crossed. I thought the iPhone 8 and X both had the A11 SoC, which I inferred would make them equally fast.
    RAM in iPhone 8 Plus and X is 3 GB’s. In iPhone 8 is 2 GB’s. That alone could make a performance boost.
    02-06-2018 03:55 PM
    RAM in iPhone 8 Plus and X is 3 GB’s. In iPhone 8 is 2 GB’s. That alone could make a performance boost.
    Yeah, if the phone is under load it could.
    02-06-2018 03:56 PM
    Yeah, if the phone is under load it could.
    I’m sure the real reason the 8 plus and X has more ram is to power the bigger screens. But yes under load the extra GB you could notice a difference with 50% more.
    02-06-2018 03:58 PM
    The X was the first iOS flagship that I’ve had that I wasn’t immediately in love with. It’s cost played a part in that amongst other things. I just inferred I would love it because I’ve always loved Apple’s flagships in the past. Silly me.

That said it is a better phone than the 8...and it should be. I think the OP would enjoy it.
    02-06-2018 04:15 PM
    I went with the 8 Plus originally as I had concerns with Face ID. Well I then bought the X and after using the X for just one day all my concerns left. I don't miss Touch ID at all. Virtually all apps are up to date with Face ID.
    02-06-2018 04:19 PM
    “With touchID on the 8 I just tap and go to unlock and can then use the phone without ever picking it up. “ quoted from doomsith

With Face ID you talk to Siri to do something on your phone while your phone is locked and all you need to do is look at it. You don’t need to touch it. Also helpful when opening app that requires FACE ID. Not to mention entering username and password saved in Safari. All you need to do is look at your phone.
    Yes, for those in cold areas, some people really like that they don't need to take their gloves off to unlock the phone.

It is also handy for when your finger is cut or dirty and TouchID won't recognize it.
    02-06-2018 05:24 PM
    Go for it
    It’s a fantastic device.
    02-07-2018 06:16 AM
    I have to decide today IF I want to make the leap to the X. I have the iPhone 8 (non plus) and today it's day 14 with AT&T.
    more: du an 17 pham hung
    I like the 8 well enough but the X keeps causing me to reconsider. I do dig the larger screen in what's basically the same sized phone but my concern is the lack of the home button and touchID. I am not sure if I'd like faceID. My phone sits flat on a desk for half the day. With touchID on the 8 I just tap and go to unlock and can then use the phone without ever picking it up.

With the X I do not think this is possible and the phone will need to be picked up to unlock it every single time. Considering I unlock it numerous times a day this is a concern. But, I also think this is where Apple is going and that the iPhone 8 will be the last iPhone with a home button. Getting the X now could get me use to it going forward so if I upgrade to the 9 (or whatever) later this year I'd already be adjusted to gestures and the lack of touchID.
    more: du an park residence le van luong
    I am seriously conflicted and go back and forth daily on the decision.

I really wish Apple would go the route of Android and allow trusted places and devices. For instance if it knows it's connected to a Mac, give me the option to turn off faceID. Or if I am connected to a trusted network give the option to turn off faceID ect. Connected to an Apple Watch? Same. Trusted places works great on Android and I don't know why Apple did not include something similar.
    more: du an iris garden my dinh
    Anyways, today is the day. Anyone using an X that perviously used an iPhone in the same manner as I do? If so your thoughts are appreciated.
    So I'm curious what you ended up doing? I don't believe there is a wrong answer here, as both are great devices.
    02-07-2018 08:41 AM
    So I'm curious what you ended up doing? I don't believe there is a wrong answer here, as both are great devices.
    Me too
    02-07-2018 08:50 AM
    02-07-2018 09:52 AM