OTAO Screen Protector for the iPhone X

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
When it comes to screen protectors, I not only look for the protector's durability and strength but also how well it covers the phone's display so I don't feel I have this tempered glass protector on top of the beautiful phone's display.

If you are looking for the screen protector that doesn't degrade your phone's display or touch sensitivity but at the same time if you are ready to accept few compromises, then the OTAO 9H Tempered Glass screen protector might be a good choice for your iPhone X.

Pros:
- Lightweight design
- Delicate touch
- Doesn't degrade phone's display

Cons:
- Doesn't fit the iPhone X's screen
- Edges will produce rainbow color formations as it doesn't fit the screen entirely

Installation

The folks at OTAO understand its hard to install a screen protector. Your screen protector package comes with an easy installation kit that contains an installation tray specifically made for the iPhone X and other usual cleaning materials. The installation tray helps you to align the screen protector with the iPhone X during installation.

20180128_214311.jpg

The installation was simple and smooth. I did not have any issues aligning the tray with my iPhone X.

20180128_214626.jpg

One thing to note is that to make sure you insert the tray in the right direction. The 'up arrow' symbol indicates its the top of the phone.

20180128_214639.jpg

The installation was also bubble free. As suggested in the installation instructions, just press the middle of the screen protector firmly and it will take care of the rest.

20180128_214854.jpg

Fit and finish

20180128_215912.jpg

At first, I really liked the screen protector. It was great to use and I didn't even feel I was using a screen protector in my iPhone X until I started to notice the edges.

Even though I used the tray and made sure I am aligned properly, I noticed the protector does not cover the edges entirely. This results in something called 'rainbow effect' which produces rainbow colors in the edges where the protector meets the OLED light emitted by the screen. It's more evident in a white background.

20180128_221606.jpg

I also don't use cases that cover the edges and thus I found the edges not being covered a major issue with my case choices. I use Peel case for the X and Mujjo leather case while occasionally switch to RhinoShield's MOD case.

Here is my iPhone X with the Peel case and the OTAO screen protector. Notice the edges are exposed.

20180128_220253.jpg

Conclusion

I was having high hopes for this screen protector but with not covering the iPhone X entirely and having the edges exposed is probably not a good design choice. So, if you are okay to compromise those, then you will find the OTAO screen protector one of the best of your iPhone X. This might also not be an issue if you are using a case that covers the edges.

You can purchase the OTAO screen protector from Amazon for $7.88. For that price, if you can, you should give it a try! If you already have one, let me know if you have the same issues as I do!

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have been using them myself for the last month and have had nothing but good things to say about the product.

I have recommended them to several folks I know using the iPhone X and have had great feedback.

Adam Matlock

Trusted Member
Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
Oato rocks. They're the only glass screen protectors I buy now. I've been using them exclusively since the S8/S8+ launch. Good job!

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Rainbowing is a deal breaker on any screen protector for me. I enjoyed reading your review though. Seem honest.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit