Great looking phone. Question about it.

bed269

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm at 99% I'll be picking up the iphone x this weekend. It's is just a great looking phone.
I was just at the apple store looking at the x. I was comparing it to my iphone 7 plus. Something I did notice while in safari of both phones was my 7 plus has a slight blue hue to it and the x has a slight yellowish hue to it with the edges slightly washed out looking.
Is there a way to get the yellow color more of a white?
I checked about 4 different phones and they all had it.
I did like the gestures on the phone.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
The yellowish tone is from True Tone. If you go to Settings—>Display and turn off True Tone you’ll get more of a white-ish/blue display instead of the white-ish/yellow of True Tone. I notice that I adjust quickly to both but actually prefer the display w/out True Tone enabled.

I know you didn’t ask this but please continue to carefully consider changing to the X from the 7 Plus. The 7 Plus is an outstanding device and unless you’re experiencing some problem with your 7 Plus I can’t recommend the X due to its price premium vs. characteristics/performance. You may be happier waiting until Autumn and seeing what the X evolves into. Just my opinion, please forgive.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
The True Tone does take some getting used to, but I have had the iPhone X since launch day and I am not looking back.

Yes the device is expensive and the gestures take some time getting used to, but I have always said life is too short and get what is going to make you happy.

I also agree the iPhone 7 series is a great device, but if you like the X and have the financial resources to get it, I say go for it.

I have had my X since launch day and I love the device. The screen is beautiful and the being a former Blackberry OS10 user, the gestures concept was an easy transition for me.

In the end you have to get the device which best fits your every day needs and is within your budget. Good luck on whatever decision you make.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes it is True Tone. I myself have come to really enjoy True Tone. It shifts the white balance of your display based on the lighting to give you a more balanced white depending on the ambient light. So in more dimly lit areas with softer lights you will see a lighter color. However, you could also be seeing Night Shift which just completely removes all blue light making the screen more yellow.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Yes it is True Tone. I myself have come to really enjoy True Tone. It shifts the white balance of your display based on the lighting to give you a more balanced white depending on the ambient light. So in more dimly lit areas with softer lights you will see a lighter color. However, you could also be seeing Night Shift which just completely removes all blue light making the screen more yellow.
It could indeed be Nightshift but the good thing about Nightshift vs. True Tone (IMO...gotta add that) is that you can choose how much of the effect to dial in. So, with Nightshift the display can be as cool or as warm as you want. True Tone might give you a more accurate looking display but IME it always seems to lean A LOT towards the "warmer" and since I like my displays "cooler" I actually prefer it off.

You have to play with NightShift and True Tone until you discover what is most pleasing to you.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I had the 7Plus as well, and got the X on launch day. I am very used to the display and true tone look. The only thing is I am not as big a fan of the aspect ratio, and hope the rumors are true of an X Plus model this fall that is the 6.46 or 6.5" display size, essentially a 8Plus but all screen which would make it a lot nicer. Notch or no notch its a great phone.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
So did you pick the phone up this weekend? If so, how are you liking it? And if not, why, and are there other questions we can answer for you?

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Yep. Display models tend to have the True Tone. I used TT for a couple weeks then turned it off. Prefer the nice stark white when browsing

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Well, they've hidden that pretty well. Let me guess, it's in Accessibility or some obvious place like that.

General
Accessibility
Display Accommodations
Colour filters

I use Colour Tint, Intensity at about 40%, Hue at about 50%, also reduce white point on but at 25%.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711