I currently have an iPhone 7 Plus, my upgrade is available, but I haven't pulled the trigger. I've vaguely heard of some battery issues and possibly the phone being discontinued, but I'm assuming that's just people being dramatic? What do you guys think? Is it worth it to upgrade from the 7 Plus to the X, or the 8 Plus, or should I just keep the 7 Plus?
    01-31-2018 01:55 PM
    The current iPhone X is a limited edition 10th anniversary iPhone model. It will not be positioned as a less expensive model when this year’s iPhone models are introduced. With that being said, the iPhone X is worth the upgrade, in my opinion, but I’d be lying if I said you need to upgrade to it from your iPhone 7 Plus because you don’t. The iPhone 8 models are equally spec’d for the most part.
    01-31-2018 05:15 PM
    I was using 7 Plus prior to upgrading to the X and the difference is pretty obvious. I still have the 7 Plus and intend to keep it.

If you're used to the feel and handling of the plus models and comfortable with Touch ID, then go for 8 Plus by all means. The X will feel smaller but easier for one-handed operation.

As Just_Me_D said it's a 10th anniversary model (not sure about being limited edition), it's unique in its class and this year's new X models can't really replace it due to its status.

I suggest you go for the X if you're really keen on upgrading. The 8 Plus will look and feel just like another 7 Plus.

Cheers!
    MakeMeUp likes this.
    01-31-2018 07:20 PM
    I have both. X since release and 8 plus for a few days.
    My biggerst problem is FID is useless in a car. I drive lots for work and the only holders that work are the brodit, so it’s tap, lean over and swipe. have tried others, got a iottie wireless for my x but wasn’t solid and fell of my dash twice.
    TID no problems. Before anyone gets on a high horse about using phone in car it’s legal here if in a fixed holder.
    Plus screen is bigger and better ratio.
    Battery percentage on plus not on X and Battery life is way better on plus.
    MakeMeUp likes this.
    02-01-2018 03:08 AM
    Haven't had any battery issues on my X, it's been solid. Like D said, the X is a "one time deal", there will be new ones next year (well this year at this point!)
    Just_Me_D and MakeMeUp like this.
    02-01-2018 04:38 AM
    Battery life is way better on plus.
    I also have both and I wouldn't say that the battery is "way better".
    02-01-2018 04:15 PM
    Battery life is definitely better on the 8 Plus vs the X, and FaceID doesn't work as well as a fingerprint sensor, IMO.
    MakeMeUp likes this.
    02-01-2018 06:11 PM
    What reporting has happened that says the X is a "one time deal"? Are we saying that next year there won't be another X-like device? I think the form factor we were introduced to this year is here to stay unless they can minimize the notch.

To the OP, I don't know if the X is worth the money. You won't be disappointed with it by any means. But the 8/8 Plus are awesome devices and the X really isn't giving you a WHOLE lot more. I say that as an X owner.
    MakeMeUp likes this.
    02-01-2018 06:17 PM
    Battery life is definitely better on the 8 Plus vs the X, and FaceID doesn't work as well as a fingerprint sensor, IMO.
    I have to agree, especially in a car. I may not have agreed a week ago for general use too, but do now.

I got my 8 plus 256gb for a steal and if i sell my X 64GB will have $400AUD up my sleeve.
    02-01-2018 07:09 PM
    Wait until the 2018 models are announced. Its worth the wait at this point. Plus, it'll give more time for apps to be compatible with the new display configuration since the new iPhones are supposed to be the same style as the iPhone X.
    mogelijk likes this.
    02-01-2018 07:51 PM
    What reporting has happened that says the X is a "one time deal"? Are we saying that next year there won't be another X-like device? I think the form factor we were introduced to this year is here to stay unless they can minimize the notch.

To the OP, I don't know if the X is worth the money. You won't be disappointed with it by any means. But the 8/8 Plus are awesome devices and the X really isn't giving you a WHOLE lot more. I say that as an X owner.
    If I am understand what they mean by there won’t be an X device this year is kinda of the way Apple did the iPhone 5 when the 5s and 5c came out. Instead of dropping the 5’s price they discontinued it and made two completely new models. 1 premium and 1 not so premium. This year rumors have forecasted the same thing except three new models. No discounted 2017 X. However bringing a brand new 2018 X plus, 2018 X, and a middle man not so premium LCD X.
    Just_Me_D and mogelijk like this.
    02-02-2018 07:03 AM
    As someone who did upgrade from two 7 Pluses to two iPhone Xes I would say hold off and see what’s released in the Autumn.

Further,
    Go to the Apple website and use the compare feature. You'll be able to make a better informed decision based on your needs, and not those of anyone else in this thread.
    Last edited by tadpoles; 02-02-2018 at 03:01 PM.
    mogelijk likes this.
    02-02-2018 11:17 AM
    You waited this long, if it were me I'd wait until next release the 7 plus is a beast of a phone.
    nikkisharif and mogelijk like this.
    02-02-2018 12:51 PM
    Okay, so I have zero self control, and I went ahead and picked up the X today. Thank you so much to all of you who answered my questions, it's greatly appreciated.
    02-03-2018 07:35 PM
    Okay, so I have zero self control, and I went ahead and picked up the X today. Thank you so much to all of you who answered my questions, it's greatly appreciated.
    Congratulations on getting your new iPhone X. Let us know how you like it after a day or two, ig you don't mind.
    MakeMeUp and mogelijk like this.
    02-03-2018 08:13 PM
    and FaceID doesn't work as well as a fingerprint sensor, IMO.
    Been using both for 5 days and I find the opposite except in a car, i have way more failures with TID on my 8 plus and rarely any with X FID.
    mogelijk likes this.
    02-03-2018 08:20 PM
    Congratulations on getting your new iPhone X. Let us know how you like it after a day or two, ig you don't mind.
    Thank you, and I’ll definitely let you guys know how I like it!
    bed269, mogelijk and Just_Me_D like this.
    02-03-2018 08:21 PM
    I have both. X since release and 8 plus for a few days.
    My biggerst problem is FID is useless in a car. I drive lots for work and the only holders that work are the brodit, so it’s tap, lean over and swipe. have tried others, got a iottie wireless for my x but wasn’t solid and fell of my dash twice.
    TID no problems. Before anyone gets on a high horse about using phone in car it’s legal here if in a fixed holder.
    Plus screen is bigger and better ratio.
    Battery percentage on plus not on X and Battery life is way better on plus.
    I have few issues with FaceID in my car using a ProClip mount. They are on the expensive side, since they are made to custom fit your phone and your car (they currently are offering 10% off with promo code MATCH10) -- you buy both the mount for your car and a separate holder for your phone.

I also have a wireless charging stand, so at my desk I can get FaceID to work without picking the phone up.
    02-06-2018 09:02 AM
    My son smashed the screen on his 6, so I went to get him an upgrade and ended up getting the X and an 8 free deal. Now that I have the X I'm liking it a lot even though it looks like two eyes spying on me when the light hits it a certain way. I would have waited if it weren't for that.
    Yes worth the the upgrade Congrats on the X.
    mogelijk likes this.
    02-06-2018 11:02 AM
    I have few issues with FaceID in my car using a ProClip mount. They are on the expensive side, since they are made to custom fit your phone and your car (they currently are offering 10% off with promo code MATCH10) -- you buy both the mount for your car and a separate holder for your phone.
    I have used them for 10 years plus, in my car the holder is over a bit so not in direct sight.

I also have a wireless charging stand, so at my desk I can get FaceID to work without picking the phone up.
    I have the same.

Now that I have the X I'm liking it a lot even though it looks like two eyes spying on me when the light hits it a certain way.
    Get the iCarez full screen protector solves that, you only see the notch with the screen on, it's talked about in the accessories thread.
    mogelijk likes this.
    02-06-2018 02:51 PM
    An old friend of mine at the superbowl party I was at has an iX and I got to play with it. It’s better than I thought.
    mogelijk and nikkisharif like this.
    02-06-2018 07:30 PM
    It's just a phone. A nice one, but the nicest? The most expensive, yes.
    xanadome likes this.
    02-06-2018 08:00 PM
    After a few days using the X I don't think I could go back to using my 8 plus.
    Just fell in love with the smaller foot print off the X, it fits the hand and front pocket like a glove.
    mogelijk and nikkisharif like this.
    02-08-2018 05:28 PM
    After a few days using the X I don't think I could go back to using my 8 plus.
    Just fell in love with the smaller foot print off the X, it fits the hand and front pocket like a glove.
    I was noticing yesterday how much the size has been an asset.
    mogelijk likes this.
    02-09-2018 02:02 AM
    Finally you did the right thing: follow your sensations.
    My advice would have been: go to an Apple Store / retailer and try it by yourself.
    I decided to upgrade my 7 to an 8 Plus (and not the X) after playing with it for a few minutes. I like it, very much, but I think an 8 Plus is better for MY needs.
    Your mileage may vary
    02-09-2018 06:03 AM
30 12