What would make your iPhone X perfect?

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
The point of this thread is to list what you personally think would make the X perfect. The simple fact that by stating ‘so what? That doesn’t bother me’, you are invalidating his opinion.

The fact we’re debating such a thing as a percentage indicator means the X is very close to perfect.

There are basically 2 kind of people, both who love the X:

• One who can adjust to the new changes, even if that change means something as simple as losing the ease on checking your battery percentage.
  • One who cannot adjust to some of the changes in X, even if that change means something as simple as losing the ease on checking your battery percentage.

Don't get me wrong, I too do not like few things in the X, but I have adjusted to like them, or in other words, forced to as I don't have an option as a user to control those. For example, I would wish I have the ability to set what happens when I swipe from the top left or top right so I can switch the control center and notification tray.

There are opinions, sure. But it doesn't make a lot of sense in arguing something that should be very basic that is available in every other phone to be a merit of the X. That is kinda biased towards Apple :)

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
The point of this thread is to list what you personally think would make the X perfect. The simple fact that by stating ‘so what? That doesn’t bother me’, you are invalidating his opinion.

The fact we’re debating such a thing as a percentage indicator means the X is very close to perfect.

Please point to me where I stated “So what? That doesn’t bother me”.

He says “I don’t like not having the battery percentage where it used to be”, that’s ok.

I say “I don’t mind not having it because it’s quickly visible via control center”, that’s invalidating his opinion.

I must have missed something because I really don’t get it.

briareos4

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
Please point to me where I stated “So what? That doesn’t bother me”.

He says “I don’t like not having the battery percentage where it used to be”, that’s ok.

I say “I don’t mind not having it because it’s quickly visible via control center”, that’s invalidating his opinion.

I must have missed something because I really don’t get it.

Perhaps an analogy would better illustrate.

You as the OP posed the question “what would make the x perfect?”

Retinella says “what used to take 1 step to perform (for a very common task), now takes 2 steps. It would be great to go back to 1 step. ”

Rather then just letting it go as a valid entry, you and Tadpole reply how 2 steps are just fine.

Actually, I’ll argue that it’s gone from a 1 step process to a 3 step:

Other iPhones: lift up phone (it wakes), and boom the battery percent is right there.

iPhone X: lift up phone, unlock phone, swipe control center down.

Last edited:

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Bigger screen and no notch. So hoping the X+ will do away with the notch. This will also give back our battery percentage of the notch is eliminated. If that means keeping a slightly bigger bezel up top from the bottom I'd be ok with that.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Perhaps an analogy would better illustrate.

You as the OP posed the question “what would make the x perfect?”

Retinella says “what used to take 1 step to perform (for a very common task), now takes 2 steps. It would be great to go back to 1 step. ”

Rather then just letting it go as a valid entry, you and Tadpole reply how 2 steps are just fine.

Yeah, he doesn’t like the extra step. And I don’t kind the extra step. What’s wrong with that?

Actually, I’ll argue that it’s gone from a 1 step process to a 3 step:

Other iPhones: lift up phone (it wakes), and boom the battery percent is right there.

iPhone X: lift up phone, unlock phone, swipe control center down.

You don’t have to unlock the phone to acces the control center. So it’s 2 steps

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
As far as the battery percentage goes an easy solution would be to put a small indicator on the lock screen just below the date. Raise to wake and there the percentage would be.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
.02 seconds I don't want to spend looking for battery percent.

Here's the thing, cell phone signal strength doesn't need to be shown. We all have cell signal wherever we are at this point.

Just because you don't mind not seeing the battery percent doesn't mean others don't mind seeing it. It's a huge annoyance among many people. Your opinion doesn't invalidate my opinion.

While I can agree that Apple should have kept an option for battery percentage -- and it is still something I'd like to see added (maybe remove the battery icon and put a number (the percentage) of battery left in its place -- I can't agree about not needing signal strength. In fact, one of my complaints about the X is that you can no longer put the numerical value for the signal strength in the status bar -- instead you just have the bars to indicate the strength.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, he doesn’t like the extra step. And I don’t kind the extra step. What’s wrong with that?

It’s not right or wrong. You started this thread asking folks what would make X perfect and you got some posts. Rather than agreeing to the fact it is retinella’s position, you are trying to prove what he said is not something that would make X perfect , that is the problem :)

You don’t have to unlock the phone to acces the control center. So it’s 2 steps

While that is true, many customize it so they don’t allow access to control center in lock screen and within apps.

Net result is that Apple did make it harder to check battery percentage. You have come to terms with it while others have not.

Vega007

Jan 24, 2018
Visit site
Considering I have been a heavy Android user since 2009, I have a few things that I would like to change to make it "perfect".

1. Let me arrange icons on the home screen as I see fit. I am fine with the tiles, even though I miss the app drawer. But why can't I place an app here or there, or with a mostly blank screen and just a few at the bottom? I do not like how they auto arrange with an anchor point at the top left.

2. Notifications are a mess. Really wish when you get multiples from the same app, it would group them instead of one by one.

3. I would have loved a fingerprint scanner somewhere on back or even on the side. I wish they stole Sony's idea and put it on the power button (or is it a Siri button now?) at least.

4. Some sort of ambient display that shows notifications better with the screen off, instead of forcing the screen on. Or an always on display.

Other than that, this phone is remarkable and I am going to have a hard time going back to Android (if I decide to do that) and have to use a stupid home button again. I LOVE flicking-off apps when I am done with them.

salscott

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
While I can agree that Apple should have kept an option for battery percentage -- and it is still something I'd like to see added (maybe remove the battery icon and put a number (the percentage) of battery left in its place -- I can't agree about not needing signal strength. In fact, one of my complaints about the X is that you can no longer put the numerical value for the signal strength in the status bar -- instead you just have the bars to indicate the strength.

That is a very loaded issue. Apple doesn't want us to have the dbm reading because they get more complaints about needing repair or replacement due to having concrete evidence of an issue. With the signal symbol, they can make that look however they want and we are just guessing what out actual exact signal strength is. I have major issues with this.

OBF

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
1. No notch; 2. Same size as the 8 (little too tall and narrow); 3. Better battery like the 8 Plus; 4. Headphone jack (I like the option of it there)

bigoldthor

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site

I used to obsess over this (dbm value). Now, I prefer to just have a rough idea via the signal strength bar. I find I don’t fret over it as much. Sort of like watching the fuel economy gauge on my truck and worrying about whether it’s 18.1 vs 18.3 mpg. I prefer to just turn the display to something else so it doesn’t distract me.

Yeah, I have issues.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711