iPhone X being cancelled?

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
It is true that Apple typically kept the previous years flagship and sold it at a lower price. As pointed out, the iPhone 5 was one example where Apple didn't -- and instead offered a different "low cost" option rather than continuing to sell the older phone (the 5c).

My impression is that the X replacement is going to be priced somewhat lower than the X; my guess is $100 less, or so. The rumors, at least that I've seen, seem to imply that the X Plus (the new larger OLED iPhone) will be roughly the price of the current X, that the X replacement will be $100 or so cheaper. Because of this, it doesn't make sense for Apple to continue to sell the X -- since the old phones are typically only $100 off, meaning the X and the new iPhone would sell for essentially the same price. Instead, they'll have an LCD version of the X that will become the new "budget" phone.

We know one of the ways the new iPhone will be less expensive is that they'll have LG panels instead of Samsung panels. I also wonder if they won't have an aluminum body, rather than the Stainless Steel of the X. And the Face ID technology should now be cheaper, now that it is a year old, than it was for the X.

My issue with these iPhone X being "cancelled" or "killed" stories is that they largely came out in February and early March, along with the articles about how disappointing iPhone X sales had been. The clear implication that these "experts" seemed to be painting is that Apple was going to kill the iPhone X because it had been such a disappointment; again with the implication that it would be replaced by a new design, likely bringing back a fingerprint reader and home button, not to mention the notch (though they never explicitly stated these things, but again, they were implying the iPhone X was a failure).

Of course, since February we've seen a number of new phones announced with notches (including rumors of Google's own Pixel 3) and we're seeing Android P will include gestures without having/needing a physical home button (and most Android phones, while they still have a fingerprint sensor, aren't using that as their home button).

To me, the idea that Apple is cancelling the iPhone X is debunked. Yes, it will be replaced as, from what I can tell, economically it won't be practical for Apple to offer it at a lower price than its replacement. Instead, they're keeping the features of the X (even the controversial ones), and offering a direct replacement that appears to look the same (or extremely similar), along with a larger version and a "cheap" version that uses an LCD display.

They can easily just sell the X $200 off and have the 8 $200 off as well. Plenty of possibilities but the X isn’t being “canceled”

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
So here's another take, this time from Tom's Guide:

"According to a new report, disappointing demand for the smartphone will drive Apple to discontinue this 5.8-inch device, when a new, larger iPhone X Plus (among others) takes its place.

This claim comes from highly-regarded Apple prognosticator Ming-Chi Kuo, an analyst at the KGI securities firm. Since Kuo's notes aren't released to the public, we've learned this from an AppleInsider report that also states Kuo's claim that Apple didn't sell as many iPhone X handsets in China as was expected, and that "the notch" is at least partially to blame."

Click here for a link to entire article

Note, this article mentions an iPhone X Plus, among others....

The phones are starting to get ridiculously big. Pretty soon, discontinue phones and just hold a MBP up to your skull.. Dam things barely fit in pockets now

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
The phones are starting to get ridiculously big. Pretty soon, discontinue phones and just hold a MBP up to your skull.. Dam things barely fit in pockets now

This isn’t anything new. The Plus model iPhones haven’t gotten any bigger since the 6 Plus was released in 2014. Even before that there were plenty of 6” smartphones available from other manufacturers.
iPhone X is actually noticeably smaller than any of the Plus models. I can’t imagine a 6.5” version of the X would be larger than any Plus model.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
???
You might want to read your post again.

Remember these reports were coming out in February, and tended to give the idea that it was being cancelled then. It also gave the impression of how the X was a failure -- and while not explicitly stating -- with an implication that it was being completely ended and not replaced by an updated version.

As I've stated here, you aren't hearing reports of how the Galaxy S9 is being cancelled, despite the reporting of the rumors of next year's Galaxy S10, which will replace the S9. "Cancelled," at least in the cell phone world, tends to be only used when a product line is being cancelled, and no replacement phone will be made; such as the Essential 2 phone being cancelled.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Remember these reports were coming out in February, and tended to give the idea that it was being cancelled then. It also gave the impression of how the X was a failure -- and while not explicitly stating -- with an implication that it was being completely ended and not replaced by an updated version.

The original post has a link from a Forbes article in February that says:

- yes, that "sales are disappointing" (though particularly in China)
- yes, that the phone will be canceled.
- BUT - "production ceasing in the summer." Remember that it is still summer when Apple typically announces the current year's iPhone(s) in early September. It did not say that the phone was being canceled immediately.
- that though sales are disappointing, they are still up 5% (which turned out to be about right).

One thing that it didn't say or imply was that the iPhone X was being completely ended and not replaced by an updated version. In fact, the original article stated that the iPhone X will be replaced by "three new iPhone X inspired designs". If anything, this article implied that the current iPhone X would not continue as the $100 off year old phone, as Apple typically does. A lot of people seemed to read a lot more into this article, though.

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
This isn’t anything new. The Plus model iPhones haven’t gotten any bigger since the 6 Plus was released in 2014. Even before that there were plenty of 6” smartphones available from other manufacturers.
iPhone X is actually noticeably smaller than any of the Plus models. I can’t imagine a 6.5” version of the X would be larger than any Plus model.

You limited your response to Apple, I didn't. Across the board, Phones are getting stupid big. I have a client that has the largest phone I've ever seen. She looks like shes holding a tablet to her ear. It looks way past ridiculous.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
The original post has a link from a Forbes article in February that says:

- yes, that "sales are disappointing" (though particularly in China)
- yes, that the phone will be canceled.
- BUT - "production ceasing in the summer." Remember that it is still summer when Apple typically announces the current year's iPhone(s) in early September. It did not say that the phone was being canceled immediately.
- that though sales are disappointing, they are still up 5% (which turned out to be about right).

One thing that it didn't say or imply was that the iPhone X was being completely ended and not replaced by an updated version. In fact, the original article stated that the iPhone X will be replaced by "three new iPhone X inspired designs". If anything, this article implied that the current iPhone X would not continue as the $100 off year old phone, as Apple typically does. A lot of people seemed to read a lot more into this article, though.

And that is fine. The issue is, the Forbes article came out at a time that there were lots of "iPhone X cancelled" articles were appearing -- and most didn't limit themselves like the Forbes article.

Additionally, I have an issue with "sales are disappointing" -- again, leading to the impression that is why the iPhone X is being "cancelled." Again, all cell phone sales are down for about the last year, at least other than Apple's which are up, if only by 5%.

Last, again, you hear about the new "replacement" of cell phones, not how the old model was "cancelled" when the new model is introduced. I heard nothing ever about the the Samsung S8 was being cancelled before the S9 was released, and little about "disappointing sales" -- and the S8 sales were down compared with the S7; or about how the LG G7 was being cancelled so they could introduce the G7 ThinQ. You hear about a phone being cancelled when you hear about phones like Essential, where the Essential PH-2 was actually cancelled and won't be coming to market.

The purpose of saying the iPhone X being cancelled seemed to be to make the phone sound as if it were failing, at least in most cases.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
You limited your response to Apple, I didn't. Across the board, Phones are getting stupid big. I have a client that has the largest phone I've ever seen. She looks like shes holding a tablet to her ear. It looks way past ridiculous.

All I was saying is that phones have been stupid big for a while now. It isn’t anything new. I used iPhone as an example because this is an Apple-centric forum (or at least it used to be).

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

As I've stated here, you aren't hearing reports of how the Galaxy S9 is being cancelled, despite the reporting of the rumors of next year's Galaxy S10, which will replace the S9. "Cancelled," at least in the cell phone world, tends to be only used when a product line is being cancelled, and no replacement phone will be made; such as the Essential 2 phone being cancelled.

I think there is far too much sensitivity here about the word "cancelled". The iPhone 10 will be cancelled sooner or later, like every other phone. I assume that most people here are not actually personally involved in the development of the iPhone 10, so why care so much?

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
And that is fine. The issue is, the Forbes article came out at a time that there were lots of "iPhone X cancelled" articles were appearing -- and most didn't limit themselves like the Forbes article.

Additionally, I have an issue with "sales are disappointing" -- again, leading to the impression that is why the iPhone X is being "cancelled." Again, all cell phone sales are down for about the last year, at least other than Apple's which are up, if only by 5%.

Last, again, you hear about the new "replacement" of cell phones, not how the old model was "cancelled" when the new model is introduced. I heard nothing ever about the the Samsung S8 was being cancelled before the S9 was released, and little about "disappointing sales" -- and the S8 sales were down compared with the S7; or about how the LG G7 was being cancelled so they could introduce the G7 ThinQ. You hear about a phone being cancelled when you hear about phones like Essential, where the Essential PH-2 was actually cancelled and won't be coming to market.

The purpose of saying the iPhone X being cancelled seemed to be to make the phone sound as if it were failing, at least in most cases.

Why do you care so much? Like it or not, Apple are the most prominent manufacturer of smart phones in the world today. There may be some sensationalist articles (both good and bad) about them from time to time, but overall Apple benefit enormously from all the free publicity.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Why do you care so much? Like it or not, Apple are the most prominent manufacturer of smart phones in the world today. There may be some sensationalist articles (both good and bad) about them from time to time, but overall Apple benefit enormously from all the free publicity.

Agree.
There’s even a dopey president of an unnamed country who benefits from all the negative publicity. It gets his fan base all worked up.
We live in a connected world now. It’s all about marketing. I don’t think Apple cares at all.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Why do you care so much as to respond to my month's old posts? I cared back in January and February because the Forbes article title stated, "Apple Leak Reveals Sudden iPhone X Cancellation" and the first paragraph they stated, "a new leak reveals Apple will soon cancel the iPhone X." Sure, if you go on they talk about "summer" -- though it will actually likely be "cancelled" in Fall or the very end of summer, as well as the fact that phones that are being replaced aren't referred to as "cancelled."

Basically, with the "click-bait" title and the similar articles and YouTube videos coming out, people were getting the idea that the iPhone X was going away completely -- I posted to explain the truth, it will go away when the iPhone X+1 is released.

But it is ironic to me that someone who came upon an "older" (a few weeks) post of mine is questioning why I care, why do you? I care at this point merely because I'm responding to someone who is quoting an old post of mine.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
But it is ironic to me that someone who came upon an "older" (a few weeks) post of mine is questioning why I care, why do you? I care at this point merely because I'm responding to someone who is quoting an old post of mine.

Yeah but I was asking why people here care enough about a possibly (but not really) misleading headline about a product you probably have no connection with to write 176 (and counting) posts.

I don't visit these forums very much so there is often a delay between my posts.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Agree.
There’s even a dopey president of an unnamed country who benefits from all the negative publicity. It gets his fan base all worked up.
We live in a connected world now. It’s all about marketing. I don’t think Apple cares at all.

I agree with you, but I think Apple cares a lot. Even the questionable claims about sales figures, predictions about next year's products and articles about patent applications by people who don't understand patents are good for Apple. They keep Apple at the front of customers' minds even when there's no actual news to report.

You can be sure that Apple encourage all this stuff. They are not stupid.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro