iPhone X being cancelled?

jlczl

Jan 21, 2004
Visit site
Isn’t the iPhone X suppose to be a 10th anniversary edition iPhone? If so, then it makes sense for them to not have it stick around as a low cost model to whatever iPhone model is introduced this fall, in my opinion.

Yup, and the sooner they stop producing it the better. I like my phone being a bit unique but that is practically impossible in the Apple world we live in. The less are made the less likely they become a dime a dozen. I like that and it’ll encourage me to keep my X much longer term.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
Today you can buy iPhone 6S and 7 from Apple. The article merely states that Apple wouldn’t continue that with X being available once it’s successor is released.

Until Apple shows us what’s next for the iPhone, we wouldn’t know if Apple is abandoning the X or paving way for newer models - as in the rumor is that we will see 3 iPhone releases in 2018.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Apple most likely don't want the new 5.8" model competing with the current model. It seems I recall it refered to as a limited edition iPhone X. If so, then this could have been the plan all along.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Apple most likely don't want the new 5.8" model competing with the current model. It seems I recall it refered to as a limited edition iPhone X. If so, then this could have been the plan all along.

That would be my guess. Whether it is Apple or Samsung, barring some unusual circumstances, they know what they are doing well in advance. That’s why these news reports that try to spin things for click bait crack me up.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Everything that I have seen has had 3 new iphones for the upcoming year (the 6.1" LCD, the 6.5" X like one, and an upgraded iphone x). They may quit selling the current X, but I cannot see them completely abandoning the design after they touted how great it and FaceID are.

briareos4

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
The problem is if the rumors are true about the notch getting minimized or removed, that means app developers won’t bother factoring the X screen in future app upgrades. We’ll be stuck with app borders starting below the notch.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
The problem is if the rumors are true about the notch getting minimized or removed, that means app developers won’t bother factoring the X screen in future app upgrades. We’ll be stuck with app borders starting below the notch.

This is what bothers me as well. The more Apple messes with the notch the more harder for these app developers to support it. I still have apps that do not support the X and situation wouldn't improve if they keep changing the notch design.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Everything that I have seen has had 3 new iphones for the upcoming year (the 6.1" LCD, the 6.5" X like one, and an upgraded iphone x). They may quit selling the current X, but I cannot see them completely abandoning the design after they touted how great it and FaceID are.

Everything I've seen is that they aren't abandoning the design, they're just not going to sell this year's X. They're afraid it will cannibalize the lower end model for 2018.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Everything I've seen is that they aren't abandoning the design, they're just not going to sell this year's X. They're afraid it will cannibalize the lower end model for 2018.

Especially if the rumors of the low end model with only one camera and no 3D Touch are true it definitely would.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I have to wonder if next year's phones will have the Stainless steel frame? I suspect that was part of being the "tenth anniversary" phone, to make it more premium; and that all of next year's new iPhones will go back to aluminum. If they do go back to aluminum, that will lower the manufacturing cost -- and I suspect they may have an issue marking down the X enough to compete with the next generation phones.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have to wonder if next year's phones will have the Stainless steel frame? I suspect that was part of being the "tenth anniversary" phone, to make it more premium; and that all of next year's new iPhones will go back to aluminum. If they do go back to aluminum, that will lower the manufacturing cost -- and I suspect they may have an issue marking down the X enough to compete with the next generation phones.

It's my understanding that wireless charging won't work with aluminum. Not on the pads. If rumors are true, the 6.1" model may be aluminum.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
It's my understanding that wireless charging won't work with aluminum. Not on the pads. If rumors are true, the 6.1" model may be aluminum.

Wireless charging doesn't work with stainless steel, either. I'm not saying the back would be aluminium, merely that the frame would be (kind of like the iPhone 8).

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Apple is getting a lot of feedback about the face ID. With LG have a under glass fingerprint sensor I am sure Apple will have one next year. Not saying face ID is bad but so many want the fingerprint back. The X to me fell short of what Apple is capable of and I don't believe next year's model will have face of.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Apple is getting a lot of feedback about the face ID. With LG have a under glass fingerprint sensor I am sure Apple will have one next year. Not saying face ID is bad but so many want the fingerprint back. The X to me fell short of what Apple is capable of and I don't believe next year's model will have face of.

I’ll be surprised if they add a fingerprint sensor back in. Once Apple tells you something is the future they don’t go back. To this point they haven’t had to at least. People just adapt to whatever Apple says is best for them.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73