iPhone X being cancelled?

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so here is my main question....I’m going to be upgrading to a new phone in a few weeks hopefully....I have had iPhones for the last 5-6 Years, have had nothing but good luck. Also have invested in some more expensive apps...would it be beneficial to upgrade to the X or just wait until this fall to see what comes out? I currently have a iPhone 6+, starting to run slower and my battery is shot. I’m also contemplating on trying the Note 8 but don’t want to purchase apps again....

Plus my other concern is if they change the notch design on the newer phones will the X not be supported enough for app developers????!!!

I guess it depends on what you want/can afford. If you are happy with the 6+, then I'd say go ahead and keep it and take advantage of Apple's reducing the cost of battery replacement -- especially as iOS 11.3 (as well as a battery replacement) should take care of the phone slowing down.

OTOH, if you really like the X and have wanted to upgrade, then I'd do it if you can afford it. I loved the phone, and it shocked me how much I started to appreciate the lack of a home button (I much prefer the gestures).

As for the future, my impression is that the home button is gone for good. My personal guess is the fingerprint sensor will also not be replaced -- though I could see it put under the glass, but in that case it still won't be a home button. The leaks so far show that the new iPhones are likely to very similar to the X; both with the FaceID and lack of home button, and even suggest that the new phones will still have the notch.

jlczl

Jan 21, 2004
Visit site
Ok, so here is my main question....I’m going to be upgrading to a new phone in a few weeks hopefully....I have had iPhones for the last 5-6 Years, have had nothing but good luck. Also have invested in some more expensive apps...would it be beneficial to upgrade to the X or just wait until this fall to see what comes out? I currently have a iPhone 6+, starting to run slower and my battery is shot. I’m also contemplating on trying the Note 8 but don’t want to purchase apps again....

Plus my other concern is if they change the notch design on the newer phones will the X not be supported enough for app developers????!!!

You’ve waited this long you might as well wait a few more months as new phones will start hitting the market in March and there will be a lot to choose from in the March-October timeframe that you may have wished you waited for. The same can be said any time of the year but it just happens to be that it is a little more pronounced right now.

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Is the iPhone X selling like they thought it would. The articles that I’ve heard about said the older models are still selling more than the X. I wonder if that is true.

Gray Area

Dec 12, 2017
Visit site
Is the iPhone X selling like they thought it would. The articles that I’ve heard about said the older models are still selling more than the X. I wonder if that is true.

No, there not selling up to their expectations, Apple cut there production in half according to Cnet

CNET: Apple reportedly halves iPhone X early 2018 production target. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwvJSbvjM

And according to CNBC there stocks are way down because of slowing sales. Idk, could be we’ve just reached a point where ppl do not need a new phone every year! Which is true really. Only the dedicated mobile fans are willing to keep buying a new device annually or even more often.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/29/apple-falls-as-iphone-x-order-cut-reports-mount.html

Last edited:

iamdld

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Your posts are always well thought out and you make fair and reasonable points without any bias toward a phone. That's rare on forums. Thanks.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I was at Verizon today and it is being canceled. Apple not moving forward with it. It’s a limited edition according to my friend who is a Verizon manager

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I was at Verizon today and it is being canceled. Apple not moving forward with it. It’s a limited edition according to my friend who is a Verizon manager

It will be cancelled. When the new iteration comes out next fall. It’s not being cancelled right now.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No, there not selling up to their expectations, Apple cut there production in half according to Cnet

CNET: Apple reportedly halves iPhone X early 2018 production target. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwvJSbvjM

And according to CNBC there stocks are way down because of slowing sales. Idk, could be we’ve just reached a point where ppl do not need a new phone every year! Which is true really. Only the dedicated mobile fans are willing to keep buying a new device annually or even more often.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/29/apple-falls-as-iphone-x-order-cut-reports-mount.html

Doesn’t Apple typically position the new iPhone to coincide with the Christmas shopping season? They sell a gazillion of them during that time and then around February, we start hearing how sales have slowed. If I project that I will sell a gazillion new devices and then i end up selling a gazillion in 3 month time period, I’ve reached my sales goal, haven’t I? If sales drop after 3 or 4 months, no biggie. New iPhone users tend to pre-order as well as buy iPhones as soon as they hit the shelves.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Doesn’t Apple typically position the new iPhone to coincide with the Christmas shopping season? They sell a gazillion of them during that time and then around February, we start hearing how sales have slowed. If I project that I will sell a gazillion new devices and then i end up selling a gazillion in 3 month time period, I’ve reached my sales goal, haven’t I? If sales drop after 3 or 4 months, no biggie. New iPhone users tend to pre-order as well as buy iPhones as soon as they hit the shelves.

Unfortunately the X wasnt intended to sell in large quantities in 2017. They were only estimating 40 million by the end of the 2017 year. They were expecting to ramp up production and sell the majority in 2018, estimating between 80 and 90 million. That number has been cut in half and now its estimated at 40 million.

They basically lost 1/3 of their anticipated sales. Thats not good.

I still maintain the X was meant to be a limited edition and wasnt going to be sold once the new cycle began. It was meant to be an anniversary phone that paved the way for future devices.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site

Or people don't want to spend $1,000 on a phone.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Hasn’t Apple cut production in half on almost all previous flagship iPhones during the 2nd quarter? I fail to see what the difference is here. I see the WSJ has caught on to the story which, to me, signals stock manipulation.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Hasn’t Apple cut production in half on almost all previous flagship iPhones during the 2nd quarter? I fail to see what the difference is here. I see the WSJ has caught on to the story which, to me, signals stock manipulation.

Only the 8 has been cut this much dating back to the 6s. The 6s was cut 30% in the first qtr of 2016. The 7 was cut only 10% in the first qtr of 2017 and now the X is cut 50%. The 8 was the worst case by being cut 50% in November and December of 2017.

The issue with the X being cut though is it was intentionally produced at lower volumes than normal during the holiday season. It was expected to double that volume in 2018. They projected 80-90 million but are now cutting it to 40 million. Their strategy didnt work and they should have produced double in 2017 and lowered it in 2018.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I am sure it will when the next phone(s) come out but they aren't just going to cancel it any time soon.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately the X wasnt intended to sell in large quantities in 2017. They were only estimating 40 million by the end of the 2017 year. They were expecting to ramp up production and sell the majority in 2018, estimating between 80 and 90 million. That number has been cut in half and now its estimated at 40 million.

They basically lost 1/3 of their anticipated sales. Thats not good.
Okay. I’ll take your word for it.

I still maintain the X was meant to be a limited edition and wasnt going to be sold once the new cycle began. It was meant to be an anniversary phone that paved the way for future devices.

Agreed

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
You noticed the source? Verizon store manager? Lmao. People are so gullible to believe anything.

I don't trust any store or carrier reps. From any carrier. Especially when ti comes to something of this nature. A lot of times they don't truly know what they're talking about. I have seen way too many make stuff up on the spot.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I don't trust any store or carrier reps. From any carrier. Especially when ti comes to something of this nature. A lot of times they don't truly know what they're talking about. I have seen way too many make stuff up on the spot.

Exactly.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Only the 8 has been cut this much dating back to the 6s. The 6s was cut 30% in the first qtr of 2016. The 7 was cut only 10% in the first qtr of 2017 and now the X is cut 50%. The 8 was the worst case by being cut 50% in November and December of 2017.

The issue with the X being cut though is it was intentionally produced at lower volumes than normal during the holiday season. It was expected to double that volume in 2018. They projected 80-90 million but are now cutting it to 40 million. Their strategy didnt work and they should have produced double in 2017 and lowered it in 2018.

The issue with production in 2017 was parts availability. They were working on some of the features, most likely the FaceID, almost right up to the fall event. Because of this, the X was delayed and it took time for the factories to ramp up production -- particularly as there were rumors of some of the new chips having a high failure rate in the initial production runs of the new chips. They were going to be able to ramp up production of the phone in 2018 as the chip supply became stable, as the factories worked out the kinks in producing the chips.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh