I agree, if you pay full price for the Note 8. The difference is that you can get that Note 8 on a discount all over the place. That’s not the case with the X.

The other side of that coin though is resale value. iPhones always hold their value way better than anything else. So I don’t stress too much about cost since I know it retains value.
    I get a new iPhone every year for my wife and I, then hand our 1 year old phones down to our kids, then sell their 2 year old iPhones for several hundred dollars each every year. I like the look of some phones, but Android OS is not appealing whatsoever, and neither is their fragmentation. So any premium on an iPhone is worth it, even though the cost difference is minimal (since I buy phones on the first day they come out, there aren't any discounts regardless).
    cwbcpa and KarmelVixen like this.
    01-26-2018 09:18 AM
    I get a new iPhone every year for my wife and I, then hand our 1 year old phones down to our kids, then sell their 2 year old iPhones for several hundred dollars each every year. I like the look of some phones, but Android OS is not appealing whatsoever, and neither is their fragmentation. So any premium on an iPhone is worth it, even though the cost difference is minimal (since I buy phones on the first day they come out, there aren't any discounts regardless).
    We are in a similar pattern although my wife doesn’t always care about getting a new phone each year. It’s at about the 18 month mark that she starts getting the itch. It all works out since we have so many lines. Only my oldest adult daughter gets a new phone every two years. The younger ones get the used phones. Everyone keeps a case and screen protection on so they stay new anyway. Then, like you, we sell the older phones. I keep at least one or two around as backups just in case.
    Pcrispy likes this.
    01-26-2018 09:28 AM
    I agree, if you pay full price for the Note 8. The difference is that you can get that Note 8 on a discount all over the place. That’s not the case with the X.

The other side of that coin though is resale value. iPhones always hold their value way better than anything else. So I don’t stress too much about cost since I know it retains value.
    So I guess you moved on back to an iPhone now?
    01-26-2018 10:27 AM
    So I guess you moved on back to an iPhone now?
    I actually have a Note 8 and 8 Plus right now. I’m not going to leave iOS totally. First of all, I like a lot about iOS and second, my family and most friends and clients are iOS users. Life is easier for me with an iPhone. That being said, I absolutely love my Note 8. I think it’s the best phone of 2017. Samsung really nailed hardware and software minus maybe one or two things that are nitpicking on my part.

So each has a role in my daily routine. They each do certain things better than the other. The question is, how long will I maintain two phones. I’ve been doing it for about 2-3 months now and honestly, it’s getting old.
    01-26-2018 10:56 AM
    I actually have a Note 8 and 8 Plus right now. I’m not going to leave iOS totally. First of all, I like a lot about iOS and second, my family and most friends and clients are iOS users. Life is easier for me with an iPhone. That being said, I absolutely love my Note 8. I think it’s the best phone of 2017. Samsung really nailed hardware and software minus maybe one or two things that are nitpicking on my part.

So each has a role in my daily routine. They each do certain things better than the other. The question is, how long will I maintain two phones. I’ve been doing it for about 2-3 months now and honestly, it’s getting old.
    I completely understand. I actually think I finally made up my mind and am going all in with Apple. Aside from some Echo and Google Home devices. What is getting me is that all of my family and friends, aside from my wife, are on Apple/iOS. And there just isn't that cohesive system of phone/watch/tablet/TV that Apple has in the Android world. I think what Google and Android is doing is great. There are a ton of great devices running Android these days, and I like that Android is really pushing Apple, but I just don't know if I can use Android in my day to day life. I want things to work together and I want to use them seamlessly. We have a 15 year old, a 5 year old, and 14 month old twins. I don't have time to mess with this stuff like I used to and want it to just work.
    01-26-2018 04:06 PM
    Ok. I thought that everyone here is somewhat of an Apple enthusiast? If this is the case, then when have you known Apple to be something other than a “this is the design, this is what we made, they have to like it” company, meaning people fussed about the lack of a 3.5 headphone port. Did it ever return, no. People are now fussing about the lack of an hardware fingerprint scanner, will it return, probably not, will the so called “horrible” notch go anywhere, not any time soon. The iPhone X being canceled, this is a media spin up, yes it may go the way of the iPhone 5 and discontinued yes, only to evolve into the next iteration of iPhones which is what was probably supposed to happen as the X was introduced to celebrate the tenth anniversary of iPhone, and to redefine where the next iPhone design will be going. We ought to be glad that if this speculation is true, Apple is expanding on this design and killing off that horrible early 2000 big bezel waste of space design. But all in all this cancelling thing is all speculation by an analyst who has since back tracked in a way on his words.
    MaxSmarties and jlczl like this.
    01-27-2018 06:02 AM
    It happened before, with the iPhone 5, so I wouldn’t be shocked about that. By the way, haters (like Forbes) are giving a completely negative sense to the rumors. (If true) Apple isn’t “discontinuing “ the iPhone X because if was a flop. Apple is just worried it could erode next gen iPhone sales because it is a great product (even greater at a discounted price).
    But, you know, haters gonna hate.
    jlczl likes this.
    01-27-2018 08:12 AM

I have a note 8 and iPhone 7. It is annoying carrying 2 phones around but then again I also carry my Galaxy tab e with me everywhere in a backpack! Lol So I guess I’m just a tech person? I’ve been all in, on Android since 2012 with the note 2 and never really cared for iPhone or iOS. I got an iPhone 7 for a good deal $389 a few months ago when the iPhone 8 launched to give iOS a try. IMO The iPhone and iOS is nice but it’s not as impressive as many made it out to be before I actually got a device. My question to you since I’m a newer iOS user is this. Why does everyone seem to say iOS just seemleesly keeps their devices and family in harmony? In my experience with Android I have literally 5 or 6 devices that sync my game data, I have Microsoft office and Google docs, sheets that syncs across devices, Google photos syncs all my pics and I have lots of things in my google drive and one drive. Everything is there and available on every device as long as I download the app and log in. So what’s the actual difference vs what apple devices do?
    01-27-2018 09:25 AM

Right now there’s some great deals for iPhone 8 and X on most U.S carriers. Some are even buy 1 get 1 free!
    jlczl likes this.
    01-27-2018 03:01 PM
    Ok, so here is my main question....I’m going to be upgrading to a new phone in a few weeks hopefully....I have had iPhones for the last 5-6 Years, have had nothing but good luck. Also have invested in some more expensive apps...would it be beneficial to upgrade to the X or just wait until this fall to see what comes out? I currently have a iPhone 6+, starting to run slower and my battery is shot. I’m also contemplating on trying the Note 8 but don’t want to purchase apps again....

Plus my other concern is if they change the notch design on the newer phones will the X not be supported enough for app developers????!!!
    01-27-2018 03:44 PM
    Right now there’s some great deals for iPhone 8 and X on most U.S carriers. Some are even buy 1 get 1 free!
    I saw that after I made my post. 🤦🏼*♂️
    Gray Area likes this.
    01-27-2018 04:06 PM
    Ok, so here is my main question....I’m going to be upgrading to a new phone in a few weeks hopefully....I have had iPhones for the last 5-6 Years, have had nothing but good luck. Also have invested in some more expensive apps...would it be beneficial to upgrade to the X or just wait until this fall to see what comes out? I currently have a iPhone 6+, starting to run slower and my battery is shot. I’m also contemplating on trying the Note 8 but don’t want to purchase apps again....

Plus my other concern is if they change the notch design on the newer phones will the X not be supported enough for app developers????!!!
    I guess it depends on what you want/can afford. If you are happy with the 6+, then I'd say go ahead and keep it and take advantage of Apple's reducing the cost of battery replacement -- especially as iOS 11.3 (as well as a battery replacement) should take care of the phone slowing down.

OTOH, if you really like the X and have wanted to upgrade, then I'd do it if you can afford it. I loved the phone, and it shocked me how much I started to appreciate the lack of a home button (I much prefer the gestures).

As for the future, my impression is that the home button is gone for good. My personal guess is the fingerprint sensor will also not be replaced -- though I could see it put under the glass, but in that case it still won't be a home button. The leaks so far show that the new iPhones are likely to very similar to the X; both with the FaceID and lack of home button, and even suggest that the new phones will still have the notch.
    01-27-2018 07:44 PM

You’ve waited this long you might as well wait a few more months as new phones will start hitting the market in March and there will be a lot to choose from in the March-October timeframe that you may have wished you waited for. The same can be said any time of the year but it just happens to be that it is a little more pronounced right now.
    01-29-2018 08:19 AM
    Is the iPhone X selling like they thought it would. The articles that I’ve heard about said the older models are still selling more than the X. I wonder if that is true.
    01-29-2018 09:28 AM
    Is the iPhone X selling like they thought it would. The articles that I’ve heard about said the older models are still selling more than the X. I wonder if that is true.
    No, there not selling up to their expectations, Apple cut there production in half according to Cnet

CNET: Apple reportedly halves iPhone X early 2018 production target. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwvJSbvjM

And according to CNBC there stocks are way down because of slowing sales. Idk, could be we’ve just reached a point where ppl do not need a new phone every year! Which is true really. Only the dedicated mobile fans are willing to keep buying a new device annually or even more often.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/29/appl...rts-mount.html
    Last edited by Gray Area; 01-29-2018 at 01:33 PM.
    01-29-2018 09:55 AM
    Your posts are always well thought out and you make fair and reasonable points without any bias toward a phone. That's rare on forums. Thanks.
    01-29-2018 10:59 AM
    I was at Verizon today and it is being canceled. Apple not moving forward with it. It’s a limited edition according to my friend who is a Verizon manager
    01-29-2018 09:36 PM
    I was at Verizon today and it is being canceled. Apple not moving forward with it. It’s a limited edition according to my friend who is a Verizon manager
    It will be cancelled. When the new iteration comes out next fall. It’s not being cancelled right now.
    01-29-2018 10:24 PM
    No, there not selling up to their expectations, Apple cut there production in half according to Cnet

CNET: Apple reportedly halves iPhone X early 2018 production target. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwvJSbvjM

And according to CNBC there stocks are way down because of slowing sales. Idk, could be we’ve just reached a point where ppl do not need a new phone every year! Which is true really. Only the dedicated mobile fans are willing to keep buying a new device annually or even more often.

Doesn’t Apple typically position the new iPhone to coincide with the Christmas shopping season? They sell a gazillion of them during that time and then around February, we start hearing how sales have slowed. If I project that I will sell a gazillion new devices and then i end up selling a gazillion in 3 month time period, I’ve reached my sales goal, haven’t I? If sales drop after 3 or 4 months, no biggie. New iPhone users tend to pre-order as well as buy iPhones as soon as they hit the shelves.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    01-29-2018 10:42 PM
    Doesn’t Apple typically position the new iPhone to coincide with the Christmas shopping season? They sell a gazillion of them during that time and then around February, we start hearing how sales have slowed. If I project that I will sell a gazillion new devices and then i end up selling a gazillion in 3 month time period, I’ve reached my sales goal, haven’t I? If sales drop after 3 or 4 months, no biggie. New iPhone users tend to pre-order as well as buy iPhones as soon as they hit the shelves.
    Unfortunately the X wasnt intended to sell in large quantities in 2017. They were only estimating 40 million by the end of the 2017 year. They were expecting to ramp up production and sell the majority in 2018, estimating between 80 and 90 million. That number has been cut in half and now its estimated at 40 million.

They basically lost 1/3 of their anticipated sales. Thats not good.

I still maintain the X was meant to be a limited edition and wasnt going to be sold once the new cycle began. It was meant to be an anniversary phone that paved the way for future devices.
    Gray Area and Annie_8plus like this.
    01-29-2018 11:07 PM

Or people don't want to spend $1,000 on a phone.
    Gray Area likes this.
    01-30-2018 10:39 AM
    Hasn’t Apple cut production in half on almost all previous flagship iPhones during the 2nd quarter? I fail to see what the difference is here. I see the WSJ has caught on to the story which, to me, signals stock manipulation.
    01-30-2018 10:58 AM
    Or people don't want to spend $1,000 on a phone.
    Well theres that too lol. In fact CNBC think so.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/30/the-...ommentary.html
    Last edited by Gray Area; 01-30-2018 at 02:40 PM.
    01-30-2018 11:07 AM
    Hasn’t Apple cut production in half on almost all previous flagship iPhones during the 2nd quarter? I fail to see what the difference is here. I see the WSJ has caught on to the story which, to me, signals stock manipulation.
    Only the 8 has been cut this much dating back to the 6s. The 6s was cut 30% in the first qtr of 2016. The 7 was cut only 10% in the first qtr of 2017 and now the X is cut 50%. The 8 was the worst case by being cut 50% in November and December of 2017.

The issue with the X being cut though is it was intentionally produced at lower volumes than normal during the holiday season. It was expected to double that volume in 2018. They projected 80-90 million but are now cutting it to 40 million. Their strategy didnt work and they should have produced double in 2017 and lowered it in 2018.
    01-30-2018 11:07 AM
    I am sure it will when the next phone(s) come out but they aren't just going to cancel it any time soon.
    Gray Area likes this.
    01-30-2018 12:37 PM
114 12345