Apple most likely don't want the new 5.8" model competing with the current model. It seems I recall it refered to as a limited edition iPhone X. If so, then this could have been the plan all along.
    That would be my guess. Whether it is Apple or Samsung, barring some unusual circumstances, they know what they are doing well in advance. That’s why these news reports that try to spin things for click bait crack me up.
    01-23-2018 03:48 PM
    Everything that I have seen has had 3 new iphones for the upcoming year (the 6.1" LCD, the 6.5" X like one, and an upgraded iphone x). They may quit selling the current X, but I cannot see them completely abandoning the design after they touted how great it and FaceID are.
    01-23-2018 05:47 PM
    The problem is if the rumors are true about the notch getting minimized or removed, that means app developers won’t bother factoring the X screen in future app upgrades. We’ll be stuck with app borders starting below the notch.
    Premium1 and Gray Area like this.
    01-23-2018 06:44 PM
    The problem is if the rumors are true about the notch getting minimized or removed, that means app developers won’t bother factoring the X screen in future app upgrades. We’ll be stuck with app borders starting below the notch.
    This is what bothers me as well. The more Apple messes with the notch the more harder for these app developers to support it. I still have apps that do not support the X and situation wouldn't improve if they keep changing the notch design.
    01-23-2018 07:50 PM
    But you can't look at poor demand and not do anything about it, I know Apple wouldn't.
    Premium1 likes this.
    01-23-2018 08:30 PM
    Everything that I have seen has had 3 new iphones for the upcoming year (the 6.1" LCD, the 6.5" X like one, and an upgraded iphone x). They may quit selling the current X, but I cannot see them completely abandoning the design after they touted how great it and FaceID are.
    Everything I've seen is that they aren't abandoning the design, they're just not going to sell this year's X. They're afraid it will cannibalize the lower end model for 2018.
    01-23-2018 09:23 PM
    Everything I've seen is that they aren't abandoning the design, they're just not going to sell this year's X. They're afraid it will cannibalize the lower end model for 2018.
    Especially if the rumors of the low end model with only one camera and no 3D Touch are true it definitely would.
    01-24-2018 07:47 AM
    Well all I can really say is I haven't seen any "in the wild".
    01-24-2018 08:06 AM
    I have to wonder if next year's phones will have the Stainless steel frame? I suspect that was part of being the "tenth anniversary" phone, to make it more premium; and that all of next year's new iPhones will go back to aluminum. If they do go back to aluminum, that will lower the manufacturing cost -- and I suspect they may have an issue marking down the X enough to compete with the next generation phones.
    01-24-2018 10:33 AM
    I have to wonder if next year's phones will have the Stainless steel frame? I suspect that was part of being the "tenth anniversary" phone, to make it more premium; and that all of next year's new iPhones will go back to aluminum. If they do go back to aluminum, that will lower the manufacturing cost -- and I suspect they may have an issue marking down the X enough to compete with the next generation phones.
    It's my understanding that wireless charging won't work with aluminum. Not on the pads. If rumors are true, the 6.1" model may be aluminum.
    01-24-2018 02:11 PM
    It's my understanding that wireless charging won't work with aluminum. Not on the pads. If rumors are true, the 6.1" model may be aluminum.
    Wireless charging doesn't work with stainless steel, either. I'm not saying the back would be aluminium, merely that the frame would be (kind of like the iPhone 8).
    01-24-2018 04:26 PM
    Well all I can really say is I haven't seen any "in the wild".
    I’ve seen 2, my coworker has one and I saw a guy on the train with one.
    Lee_Bo likes this.
    01-24-2018 05:00 PM
    Cancelled is not the right word anyhow. Are all the X’s gonna implode
    01-24-2018 05:01 PM
    Apple is getting a lot of feedback about the face ID. With LG have a under glass fingerprint sensor I am sure Apple will have one next year. Not saying face ID is bad but so many want the fingerprint back. The X to me fell short of what Apple is capable of and I don't believe next year's model will have face of.
    01-24-2018 05:13 PM
    Apple is getting a lot of feedback about the face ID. With LG have a under glass fingerprint sensor I am sure Apple will have one next year. Not saying face ID is bad but so many want the fingerprint back. The X to me fell short of what Apple is capable of and I don't believe next year's model will have face of.
    I’ll be surprised if they add a fingerprint sensor back in. Once Apple tells you something is the future they don’t go back. To this point they haven’t had to at least. People just adapt to whatever Apple says is best for them.
    01-24-2018 06:42 PM
    Face ID is the future of Apple. It’s just the way how Apple does. However, there’s a possibility that they might add fingerprint ID to the glass screen in addition to Face ID but Face ID is definitely not going away.
    01-24-2018 08:39 PM
    The way the rumor was put out that its going to be cancelled implies they are killing off the design. Not likely at all. If the 6.1 LCD version rumor is true then it would put the '17 X model to close in price and canibalize the sales of a 6.1 LCD and that will have higher margins for Apple. They might as well go with the Xs/Xs Plus with a 9 (6.1 LCD) versions and keep the 7 & 8 for those who want TouchID and ditch the 6s.
    01-24-2018 08:49 PM
    I’m so certain FaceID will be on next year’s phone I will state right here that if it doesn’t I’ll eat my hat.
    cwbcpa likes this.
    01-24-2018 08:56 PM
    01-24-2018 09:10 PM
    I’m so certain FaceID will be on next year’s phone I will state right here that if it doesn’t I’ll eat my hat.
    Not totally sure face ID will go away but I firmly believe that the under glass fingerprint sensor will be on all new devices. I hope for everyone that purchased an x that Apple doesn't drop it.
    01-24-2018 09:12 PM
    I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple cancels the X.
    01-25-2018 01:39 AM
    "Cancelled" is the clickbait wording for it. Apple would just not need to continue selling it when the new models come out because they would have a brand new "lower priced" model available for people to buy. OLED panel supplies are already strained, so why would they want to kill themselves in trying to keep production going on an old model that just eats into the production lines of their new models? It wouldn't make any sense. So the iPhone X won't be "cancelled", it just won't be kept around as a lower priced option like they've done in the past. The new LCD version would fill that void.
    jlczl and cwbcpa like this.
    01-25-2018 05:29 AM
    I like the phone but it’s too damn expensive!
    01-26-2018 07:27 AM
    I like the phone but it’s too damn expensive!
    If I were to use an Android phone, I'm sure I'd go with a Note 8 currently. It's $950, so a $999 iPhone X really isn't hardly any more in cost.
    Gray Area and Annie_8plus like this.
    01-26-2018 09:09 AM
    If I were to use an Android phone, I'm sure I'd go with a Note 8 currently. It's $950, so a $999 iPhone X really isn't hardly any more in cost.
    I agree, if you pay full price for the Note 8. The difference is that you can get that Note 8 on a discount all over the place. That’s not the case with the X.

The other side of that coin though is resale value. iPhones always hold their value way better than anything else. So I don’t stress too much about cost since I know it retains value.
    jhnnyblze2000 likes this.
    01-26-2018 09:14 AM
114 1234 ...