Why can't my iPhone X charge as fast as my MacBook Pro?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As stated in a different thread, I purchased a brand new 13" space gray MacBook Pro (mid-2017 model) without the touch bar thingy yesterday from a nearby Best Buy store. I love it! With that in mind, I notice that it charges super quickly which made me ask the question, "If Apple can make a large MacBook charge super quickly, why can't it do the same for my iPhone?" Don't get me wrong, I'm content with the speed in which my iPhone charges. Still, it's a question I'm interested in knowing the answer to. Any ideas?

Last edited:

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
Your MacBook Pro comes with a 65W power adapter whereas your iPhone X comes with a 5W power adapter. That is the problem.

You will see a big difference if you use that 65W adapter to charge your iPhone but you will need a USB-C to lightning cable to do that.

You could also buy some fast charge adapters from Amazon (24W or more) instead as well.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Your MacBook Pro comes with a 65W power adapter whereas your iPhone X comes with a 5W power adapter. That is the problem.

You will see a big difference if you use that 65W adapter to charge your iPhone but you will need a USB-C to lightning cable to do that.

You could also buy some fast charge adapters from Amazon (24W or more) instead as well.

I should have stated in my original post that I’m aware of the differences in charging blocks. I was thinking more in terms of how fast it should charge with what it comes with it due to its size. I hope that made sense. Oh, and I did buy a USB-C to lightning cable when I bought my MBP. Im big into setting up my iPhone as new so I knew that would be the first accessory I’d buy for it.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
This is me completely guessing, but maybe heat dissipation is a big play as well. MBPs have vents built in for heat dissipation whereas iPhones don't. MBPs also have fans to help with heat.

wrich2005

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried charging your ipx on your MacBook? Mine charges super fast when connected to my mbp. I have a 2015 dongleless version though

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried charging your ipx on your MacBook? Mine charges super fast when connected to my mbp. I have a 2015 dongleless version though

You know, I had it connected to my MacBook Pro when I was locking it down via the Apple Configurator, but I didn’t pay attention to the battery level. I’m sure it charges fast.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711