The Notch - Deal or No Deal?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Happy to report I've been an iPhone X user for a few weeks now. At first, I was concerned the 'notch' at the top of the display would be a little disconcerting/annoying to me... However, literally after a good day or two, I hardly even notice it anymore.

How has your experience been? Somehow, it just works. Obviously, I'd prefer if it wasn't there (iPhone 11?), but I can live with it for sure, and it doesn't bother me at all.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I had the X for about a month. I really tried to convince myself that the notch wasn't an issue. I succeeded for a little while. Then the honeymoon period ended and reality set back in. It just wasn't something I could look past on a $1200 phone. If others can convince themselves that it's ok or go so far as to say they like it, good for them. Enjoy the phone. I moved back to the 8 Plus for my iOS needs.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I have had the X since the official launch day and the more I use it, the more I find myself liking it.

As far as the notch, I don’t even notice anymore except in my BBM app which I expect they will fix it the next few updates.

The home button, don’t miss it at all and now when I have to use one with the home button, I find myself frustrated and enjoy going back to using gestures on my X.

Overall, I feel the device was well worth the money I spent for it and I am not looking back, to me the is the future of the iPhone is the X and gestures.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Happy to report I've been an iPhone X user for a few weeks now. At first, I was concerned the 'notch' at the top of the display would be a little disconcerting/annoying to me... However, literally after a good day or two, I hardly even notice it anymore.

How has your experience been? Somehow, it just works. Obviously, I'd prefer if it wasn't there (iPhone 11?), but I can live with it for sure, and it doesn't bother me at all.

Like you, I rarely notice it now. I still don’t like it when I do notice it, but it doesn’t take away from how much I enjoy my iPhone X.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I'd rather it wasn't there, but I mostly don't notice it. It's certainly not detracting from my overall liking of the phone.

TheLegoJoker

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I barely notice it, really. I think it’s been way overplayed as an eyesore when it’s such a minor thing. Admittedly, I was one of the ones overplaying it after the keynote and when I got my iPhone X I worried that the notch was going to be the thing that got me to return it. I see it when watching a full screen video if I look for it but it just lets me know which end is up. Not once have I thought “Man, if that notch wasn’t there this thing would be ten times better.” Just doesn’t bother me.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I am exactly one week into the X and I have to say that I am still bothered by the notch. I assume that I will get used to it, but as of now... I hate it! (the notch that is)

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I’m actually addicted to the notch now. I got my phone since launch. I don’t use an app if I don’t see the notch.

Last edited:

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I’m growing to like it. Makes the device different. To me, it’s much less of an obstruction then those ginormous bezels.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
The notch doesn't bother me, it's what the notch is housing that bothers me. So this year it is No Deal. Next year when the X plus is available it will be Deal.

mcg3745

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
I dont watch a ton of video on my phones. Mostly talk, message, email and browse in portrait mode and I like the notch. I dont notice the notch so much in landscape if the screen is filled by the app or video but I can say I dont like it when the view is smaller due to app or video not filling the screen. I have been on Android so long that the iphone is is a welcome change, notch and all.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2