Is there a way to have phone calls show up in a banner while using the phone?

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Not at all. I use my work phone all day for calls. Just got off one now. My voice usage, before I turned in WiFi calling, was so high that I got a slap in the hand for not having turned on WiFi calling sooner. We telework five days a week, and all teleconferences of course use the phone.

And according to recent studies, you are in the minority.

A couple samples:
Even weirder is the fact that 37% of people use their smartphones primarily for making actual phone calls

In total, Americans spend about 26 minutes a day texting. That compares to spending about six minutes a day on voice calls.

No matter how you use the phone, a call banner would not affect that feature.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Except that teleworking, for people who are not self employed, is on the increase globally. And the phone call is ubiquitous in that population.

Latest Telecommuting Statistics – Global Workplace Analytics

https://facilityexecutive.com/2017/04/infographic-telecommuting-trends/amp/

From those links..

50% of the US workforce holds a job that is compatible with at least partial telework and approximately 20-25% of the workforce teleworks at some frequency

Again, the minority.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
From those links..

Again, the minority.

Please read.

Summary of trends:
Regular work-at-home, among the non-self-employed population, has grown by 115% since 2005, nearly 10x faster than the rest of the workforce.
3.7 million employees (2.8% of the workforce) now work from home at least half the time.
The employee population as a whole grew by 1.9% from 2013 to 2014, while employees who telecommuter population grew 5.6%.
Forty percent more U.S. employers offered flexible workplace options than they did five years ago. Still, only 7% make it available to most of their employees.
Larger companies are most likely to offer telecommuting options to most of their employees.
New England and Mid-Atlantic region employers are the most likely to offer telecommuting options.
Full-time employees are four times more likely to have work-at-home options than part-time workers.
Non-union workers are twice as likely to have access to telecommuting, but union employee access is growing rapidly.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Please read.

Summary of trends:
Regular work-at-home, among the non-self-employed population, has grown by 115% since 2005, nearly 10x faster than the rest of the workforce.
3.7 million employees (2.8% of the workforce) now work from home at least half the time.
The employee population as a whole grew by 1.9% from 2013 to 2014, while employees who telecommuter population grew 5.6%.
Forty percent more U.S. employers offered flexible workplace options than they did five years ago. Still, only 7% make it available to most of their employees.
Larger companies are most likely to offer telecommuting options to most of their employees.
New England and Mid-Atlantic region employers are the most likely to offer telecommuting options.
Full-time employees are four times more likely to have work-at-home options than part-time workers.
Non-union workers are twice as likely to have access to telecommuting, but union employee access is growing rapidly.

Again, the minority.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
OK. You can choose to ignore it.

Government agencies in DC are increasingly going to telecommuting. This is a trend that is on the upswing.
We no longer have offices, we have hoteling arrangements and work from home eight days out of a full two week work period. And the trend is rising.

Google, for example, uses hoteling and an open work space. I mentioned government in DC. Agencies outside of DC actually led the move towards teleworking. In California, in the L. A. area, agencies led the move to telecommute.

Choose to believe what you like. But phone calls in a work environment will continue especially with the trend towards telework.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
OK. You can choose to ignore it.

Government agencies in DC are increasingly going to telecommuting. This is a trend that is on the upswing.
We no longer have offices, we have hoteling arrangements and work from home eight days out of a full two week work period. And the trend is rising.

Google, for example, uses hoteling and an open work space. I mentioned government in DC. Agencies outside of DC actually led the move towards teleworking. In California, in the L. A. area, agencies led the move to telecommute.

Choose to believe what you like. But phone calls in a work environment will continue especially with the trend towards telework.

They can continue to trend but it doesnt change the fact that even your stats support the claim that those who use voice calls regularly vs those who dont are in the minority. Its not believing what I want, its facts. Facts that you provided.

And again, it doesnt change that ability by implementing a call banner like the one on ipads.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
They can continue to trend but it doesnt change the fact that even your stats support the claim that those who use voice calls regularly vs those who dont are in the minority. Its not believing what I want, its facts. Facts that you provided.

Let’s discuss this.

Trend for telework is increasing.
For those employees who do not work in the office, there is a need to communicate with those who are in the office. They are provided with phones to accomplish this. Often there is a need for teleconferences, and while Connect and GotoMeeting are useful, they are primarily used when there is screen sharing. For other times the phone is used.
In addition, even without teleconferences, there is a need to speak to someone using....a phone. Since one party is in the office and the other isn’t, a desktop isn’t a viable option leaving the work provided mobile as the only viable option. So a call is used.
A trend is not a static measurement. It is a movement. Therefore it either increases or decreases but by definition once you speak of trend you speak of movement. Which means that the total usage of mobile for telework employees is rising.
Mobiles used to be a status thing. Only executives got them. Not anymore. Rank and file employees who are now increasingly working from home get 1) a laptop and 2) either an iPhone or a Samsung.
And they use the phone as a phone. For calls.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Heres a breakdown of some texting statistics that are shocking.

https://www.textrequest.com/blog/texting-statistics-answer-questions/

I use my phone a ton for calls, but not because I choose to. I still understand however that I am in the minority of users in this regard. Communications has shifted from voice calls to texting and other forms of communication rapidly and continues to grow at a staggering number.

Of course people text. Nobody is saying otherwise. For my personal use it’s 50/50. But for work, it’s 95/5 in favor of calls. You can’t teleconference via text.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Let’s discuss this.

Trend for telework is increasing.
For those employees who do not work in the office, there is a need to communicate with those who are in the office. They are provided with phones to accomplish this. Often there is a need for teleconferences, and while Connect and GotoMeeting are useful, they are primarily used when there is screen sharing. For other times the phone is used.
In addition, even without teleconferences, there is a need to speak to someone using....a phone. Since one party is in the office and the other isn’t, a desktop isn’t a viable option leaving the work provided mobile as the only viable option. So a call is used.
A trend is not a static measurement. It is a movement. Therefore it either increases or decreases but by definition once you speak of trend you speak of movement. Which means that the total usage of mobile for telework employees is rising.
Mobiles used to be a status thing. Only executives got them. Not anymore. Rank and file employees who are now increasingly working from home get 1) a laptop and 2) either an iPhone or a Samsung.
And they use the phone as a phone. For calls.

Nobody is arguing the "trend" what you're missing is even with the "trend" the amount of people involved in this "trend" is statistically much lower than those not involved. Those in the "trend" are in the minority.

A trend is fine but it doesnt change the statistical numbers that prove the minority of users utilize the phone anywhere near as much as those who dont.

Its like saying "health consciousness in America is trending much higher than previous years", which it is. It doesnt change the fact that Americans lead the obesity averages in the world.

Trends are a shift and thats it. Your trend however would need to take a staggering shift to not be in the minority. Over Half of the US workforce would need to utilize mobile phones for them not to be in the minority. According to your stats only 7% currently do.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Of course people text. Nobody is saying otherwise. For my personal use it’s 50/50. But for work, it’s 95/5 in favor of calls. You can’t teleconference via text.

And 95/5 of mine is the opposite way. What we are doing doesnt matter, its what the majority does that is being discussed.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Nobody is arguing the "trend" what you're missing is even with the "trend" the amount of people involved in this "trend" is statistically much lower than those not involved. Those in the "trend" are in the minority.

A trend is fine but it doesnt change the statistical numbers that prove the minority of users utilize the phone anywhere near as much as those who dont.

Its like saying "health consciousness in America is trending much higher than previous years", which it is. It doesnt change the fact that Americans lead the obesity averages in the world.

Trends are a shift and thats it. Your trend however would need to take a staggering shift to not be in the minority. Over Half of the US workforce would need to utilize mobile phones for them not to be in the minority. According to your stats only 7% currently do.

Of course there will never be a majority who will fall in with the trend of teleworking. There are jobs that are impossible to do from home. Police work, military, industry, all require travel to a workplace. It is ludicrous to attempt to make a case for a majority of a workforce being telework. But telework *IS* coming further into use. It *IS* a trend.

But let’s get back to your post which I originally answered.

If the call still shows up without taking over what your doing its still a phone, just not an invasive phone when unwanted spam calls come through.

Unfortunately these phones are rarely used for calls anymore. Its too easy to handle communication other than making an actual call. Truth be told, calls are the most annoying aspect of phones nowadays.

“Unfortunately these phones are rarely used for calls anymore.”

This is incongruous with the statistics I showed.

Let me use one real life scenario rather than statistics.

DHS Headquarters has several components, scattered all over DC. These are thousands of people. By 2020, all these components will consolidate under one roof in a location in the southern side of DC. In order to accommodate these literal thousands of employees, DHS will be hoteling. Meaning that an employee logs into a reservation app and chooses a workstation for the day. They will bring with them their laptop or use thin client stations that will allow them to log into the virtual desktop through a dumb terminal to the server. The one thing they will always have is their mobile. Which they will use since there will not be desktops and the soft phone may not be an option in noisy open work spaces.

Besides the work situation, there are increasing numbers who no longer keep a landline. I haven’t had a landline since 2005. Why pay for a landline when I can be immediately reached everywhere on my mobile? That is another trend that is on the rise.

So the premise that the phone function is rarely used doesn’t take these populations into account, those who do their phones as phones.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Of course there will never be a majority who will fall in with the trend of teleworking. There are jobs that are impossible to do from home. Police work, military, industry, all require travel to a workplace. It is ludicrous to attempt to make a case for a majority of a workforce being telework. But telework *IS* coming further into use. It *IS* a trend.

But let’s get back to your post which I originally answered.

“Unfortunately these phones are rarely used for calls anymore.”

This is incongruous with the statistics I showed.

Let me use one real life scenario rather than statistics.

DHS Headquarters has several components, scattered all over DC. These are thousands of people. By 2020, all these components will consolidate under one roof in a location in the southern side of DC. In order to accommodate these literal thousands of employees, DHS will be hoteling. Meaning that an employee logs into a reservation app and chooses a workstation for the day. They will bring with them their laptop or use thin client stations that will allow them to log into the virtual desktop through a dumb terminal to the server. The one thing they will always have is their mobile. Which they will use since there will not be desktops and the soft phone may not be an option in noisy open work spaces.

Besides the work situation, there are increasing numbers who no longer keep a landline. I haven’t had a landline since 2005. Why pay for a landline when I can be immediately reached everywhere on my mobile? That is another trend that is on the rise.

So the premise that the phone function is rarely used doesn’t take these populations into account, those who do their phones as phones.

Dear god. You and I have both posted facts that support that the minority of users use the phone more than other forms. We are both comparing CURRENT facts and stats. You are trying to dismiss your own stats because of something that may or may not change in the future.

The facts are that right now, the majority of users rarely use the phone for calls. 37% still use them for such communication. 37% is a minority right here right now, not what a trend may or may not do.

The population took into account ALL mobile phone users including the work force as well as those of us who havent had land lines in a decade. Thats how statistics are built.

Nobody said "phone use is trending down" I said statistics show phone use is in the minority of communication and the stats we have both posted support that.

I dont get why this is so difficult when you are posting stats to support these numbers.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Dear god. You and I have both posted facts that support that the minority of users use the phone more than other forms. We are both comparing CURRENT facts and stats. You are trying to dismiss your own stats because of something that may or may not change in the future.

The facts are that right now, the majority of users rarely use the phone for calls. 37% still use them for such communication. 37% is a minority right here right now, not what a trend may or may not do.

The population took into account ALL mobile phone users including the work force as well as those of us who havent had land lines in a decade. Thats how statistics are built as well

I dont get why this is so difficult when you are posting stats to support these numbers.

I am posting stats to counter your assessment that phones are rarely used. I’m showing you situations, personal in the case of people who no longer use landlines, and in the enterprise, with telework trends rising, where the phone is used as a phone.

I *never* argued either way for majority/minority. That was your gig.

My point is that people *do* use the phone function of a phone and particularly so with the current trend for work from home. Which *IS* on the rise.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
I am posting stats to counter your assessment that phones are rarely used. I’m showing you situations, personal in the case of people who no longer use landlines, and in the enterprise, with telework trends rising, where the phone is used as a phone.

I *never* argued either way for majority/minority. That was your gig.

My point is that people *do* use the phone function of a phone and particularly so with the current trend for work from home. Which *IS* on the rise.

Nobody ever said people dont use phones.

My words:
Unfortunately these phones are rarely used for calls anymore.

37% usage is considered rarely. 7% of the workforce utilizes mobile phones as a primary source of communication. Again rarely. People text 66% of the time vs calls. Again, 33% is rarely.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Nobody ever said people dont use phones.

My words:

37% usage is considered rarely. 7% of the workforce utilizes mobile phones. Again rarely. People text 66% of the time vs calls. Again, 33% is rarely.

37% is not rarely. It is one third of usage. That is not rarely.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
6 minutes a day is the average. You think 6 minutes per day is not rarely?

Either way you wanna word it its still the minority by a long shot.

You are the one making s case for majority/minority.

I am saying teleworking is trending up and those who do so are issued mobile devices.

I spend literally hours per day on the phone. This is my day today. All these are calls. There will be others on those calls. They will be using their phones.

And this isn’t my heavy day.

1bb127924442a1260d36f9f16b2c65f7.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR