Is there a way to have phone calls show up in a banner while using the phone?

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
It’s like the Samsung fridge now a days. I’m trying to check the weather, setting up my google and echo devices to work with the fridge, shopping in Amazon, watching YouTube, listening to music and the kids keep opening it to get food. Can we just remove the food in there? Why do we have to keep food in the fridge?

Last edited:

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I think the function needs a jailbreak app. Among the one I remember is Callbar. But many of neat functions in the phone, like call blocking (true blocking), dedicated call end button etc. requires API for developers, which Android allows. Such apps should be constantly lurking behind the scene. Very recently, Apple started using it on a very limited basis. The reason why Apple does not allow this, or any other neat apps that require lurking behind the scene, obviously, I suspect is their traditional nervousness and very restricted approach to minimizing the battery drain. But it's a matter of trade-off, and all in all, the phone app reached the maturity and, except a few inconveniences which are exceptions, and I believe things are OK now (tolerable). If the phone app is centrally important, then choosing Android is an obvious option.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I think the function needs a jailbreak app. Among the one I remember is Callbar. But many of neat functions in the phone, like call blocking (true blocking), dedicated call end button etc. requires API for developers, which Android allows. Such apps should be constantly lurking behind the scene. Very recently, Apple started using it on a very limited basis. The reason why Apple does not allow this, or any other neat apps that require lurking behind the scene, obviously, I suspect is their traditional nervousness and very restricted approach to minimizing the battery drain. But it's a matter of trade-off, and all in all, the phone app reached the maturity and, except a few inconveniences which are exceptions, and I believe things are OK now (tolerable). If the phone app is centrally important, then choosing Android is an obvious option.

Or you can just activate do not disturb on the phone if you don’t want to be bothered

Carraser23

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Re: Incoming Phone call banners

I think we’re losing the true definition of a phone. No matter how our phone has evolved over the years adding so many features, it’s still a phone and the main function of this device is to make and receive a phone calls. If you take that away, this device should not be called a phone anymore. On an iPad, your call will come as a banner and you can simply swipe that away and ignore it and that make sense because it’s not a phone.

Hmm never thought of it that way

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

Who was your disagreement with?

I disagreed with TylerLV76 who stated that "Unfortunately these phones are rarely used for calls anymore. Its too easy to handle communication other than making an actual call. Truth be told, calls are the most annoying aspect of phones nowadays." :D

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I disagreed with TylerLV76 who stated that "Unfortunately these phones are rarely used for calls anymore. Its too easy to handle communication other than making an actual call. Truth be told, calls are the most annoying aspect of phones nowadays." :D

Gotcha.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site

I havent had a landline in 10 years. Besides business, I dont think I actually call anyone except a doctor or dentist. Even my parents who are in their 70's dont call. They converted to texting years ago.

The drop in calling is why carriers stopped limiting minutes and started limiting data usage.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

I havent had a landline in 10 years. Besides business, I dont think I actually call anyone except a doctor or dentist. Even my parents who are in their 70's dont call. They converted to texting years ago.

The drop in calling is why carriers stopped limiting minutes and started limiting data usage.

I am sure there are those who don't use their phone on their iPhones. And, in that case, wouldn't an iPod Touch be better suited? The only thing that you couldn't do was to text, unless, of course you were connected to WiFi! Another option that might work for you is to go into settings and turn off Cellular when you don't want to be bothered! Just a thought! :)

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site

I am sure there are those who don't use their phone on their iPhones. And, in that case, wouldn't an iPod Touch be better suited? The only thing that you couldn't do was to text, unless, of course you were connected to WiFi! Another option that might work for you is to go into settings and turn off Cellular when you don't want to be bothered! Just a thought! :)

Unfortunately I own a business that I tend to 24/7. Its not uncommon to receive calls from Japan at 4am. Its not about being bothered by the call, its about the call not taking over what Im currently doing such as email, taking a picture etc. A banner option would allow both things to coexist.

Texting has become the primary means of communication in the US. Last report I saw said almost 70% of communication was done via text so cell service is extremely important to have on since not all text can come through over wifi.

Ive come to terms that its not an option, hopefully one day it will be like it is on iPad.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I see that texting is the most popular way of communicating these days, but I also see texting threads that are 20 messages long that could have been handled with a 30 second phone call. It is very hard to convey tone via text. I still would prefer a call... but I am an old fart... and my kids text!! so therefore, so do I

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
4f4cdc00228a0088c9d8f41a81b694b6.jpg

So I see in the screenshot I’ve attached that there are a few options pertaining to what people are asking about. Do any of the options shown not allow what is being requested? I’ve yet to test it myself, but I can’t see why it wouldn’t allow it.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I see that texting is the most popular way of communicating these days, but I also see texting threads that are 20 messages long that could have been handled with a 30 second phone call. It is very hard to convey tone via text. I still would prefer a call... but I am an old fart... and my kids text!! so therefore, so do I

For me the text threads are a point of reference and are still more convenient than a phone call. My bookie had a wrong total for me the other day and I was able to scroll all the way back to March of 2017 to find the mistake. No way I could have referenced that with a phone call.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
If the call still shows up without taking over what your doing its still a phone, just not an invasive phone when unwanted spam calls come through.

Unfortunately these phones are rarely used for calls anymore. Its too easy to handle communication other than making an actual call. Truth be told, calls are the most annoying aspect of phones nowadays.

Not at all. I use my work phone all day for calls. Just got off one now. My voice usage, before I turned in WiFi calling, was so high that I got a slap in the hand for not having turned on WiFi calling sooner. We telework four days a week, and all teleconferences of course use the phone.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73