Is anyone else experiencing keyboard lag while using Safari or the iMessage app?

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Ive been trying to avoid creating a thread on this and fixing it myself but here I am.

I have got horrible keyboard lag in safari and imessage. It causes what I type to become a jumbled disaster.

Ive read alot if people with ios 11 having the same issue but I cant find a permanent fix.

Im typing this in tapatalk and its not happening but I need to figure it out for imessage mainly. Anyone have any ideas or experiencing the same thing?

Edit: Ive tried other keyboards, disabled all the predictive text and spell correction, rebooted and turned off icloud backups.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Keyboard lag

I’ve been trying, but it cannot replicate the problem. I can’t recall ever having keyboard lag with iOS 11 and I’ve been running iOS 11 since June of last year. To be honest, I don’t have a clue to what could be the issue. You don’t appear to have a low memory issue. With that in mind, start from scratch and set up your device as new is my recommendation.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Re: Keyboard lag

I’ve been trying, but it cannot replicate the problem. I can’t recall ever having keyboard lag with iOS 11 and I’ve been running iOS 11 since June of last year. To be honest, I don’t have a clue to what could be the issue. You don’t appear to have a low memory issue. With that in mind, start from scratch and set up your device as new is my recommendation.

I thought maybe that was it and reset my device a few days ago and the issues back. After rebooting it goes away for a few hours and comes back. Ive closed all apps in the background but it doesnt change anything. It seems like something is being stored in the cache until a reboot clears it.

I just rebooted so Ill have to wait a few until it comes back. When it does Ill do a screen record and see if anyone has any ideas.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I’ve never experienced keyboard lag at all on iOS. Are you on the latest software? And perhaps a Restore might solve the problem for good.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
I’ve never experienced keyboard lag at all on iOS. Are you on the latest software? And perhaps a Restore might solve the problem for good.

I was on 11.2.2 but earlier I installed the 11.2.5 beta and so far its not happening.

I had already reset the device a few days ago but it came back. Ive seen a bunch of people and blogs having the same issue but none of the tips fixed it. Hopefully it was just something in the 11.2.2 that went whacky. I’ll know for sure tomorrow.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I’ve not experienced this issue, and I was texting from my husband’s iPhone earlier today and had no issues.

cmknippling

Jan 16, 2018
Visit site
Not Just You

You’re not alone. Apple is denying it’s an issue even though it’s impacting thousands of users. I’ve tried 3rd party keyboards, reboot, reset to manufacturer, hard shutdown & reboot, etc.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Re: Not Just You

You’re not alone. Apple is denying it’s an issue even though it’s impacting thousands of users. I’ve tried 3rd party keyboards, reboot, reset to manufacturer, hard shutdown & reboot, etc.

I just noticed it happens mainly when creating a new line of text. When it reaches the maximum width and drops to a new line it goes nuts. Pretty aggravating.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't have keyboard lag per say, what I am noticing is that the screen seems to not be registering all touches. Never had issues like this on the iphones before, it is frustrating at times.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
I don't have keyboard lag per say, what I am noticing is that the screen seems to not be registering all touches. Never had issues like this on the iphones before, it is frustrating at times.

Ive noticed that a little as well.

For the keyboard, Ive played around today and found it only happens at max width of the text field. When it has to create a new line it lags really bad. A reboot sorts it out but eventually it starts all over again.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Ive noticed that a little as well.

For the keyboard, Ive played around today and found it only happens at max width of the text field. When it has to create a new line it lags really bad. A reboot sorts it out but eventually it starts all over again.

Well I am glad to see it is not just me. Hopefully it gets fixed with a future update.

Roguefoxx

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site
Wonder if it's a hardware issue in some of the phones... I just put my phone to the test to see if I could get any lag, but I can't seem to replicate any at all.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Wonder if it's a hardware issue in some of the phones... I just put my phone to the test to see if I could get any lag, but I can't seem to replicate any at all.

It seems to be software since a reboot clears it up. I found out today my kids does the same thing as well as a few guys at work. We all have different model phones. Once we all reboot it goes away for about 24 hours and then it starts to come back.

It seems to me like its a memory issue since a reboot would clear the memory and remove the problem until memory started to build again. If the memory isnt being released properly then it would begin to cause lag in some places, such as adding a new line of text.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Anyone know how to perform a memory dump on the X like you could on previous models with home buttons?

You used to hold power till the slide to power off appeared and then hold the home button till it returned to the home screen.

Edit: Figured it out. You have to turn assistive touch on and use the shutdown option in settings>general at the very bottom.

I checked before doing this and I had 6% free memory with only 2 apps open and keyboard lag. Dumped the memory and Im back up to 27% free and the keyboard lag disappeared.

That tells me theres a memory issue that needs to be addressed. When apps are force closed or parked it doesnt appear to be releasing memory like it should.

Last edited:

Iselma

Jun 11, 2019
Visit site
I fixed keyboard lag on my iPhone XS Max 512 GB by disabling dictation. If you navigate to Settings>General>Keyboards, at the bottom of the screen is a button "Enable Dictation". It was on, I switched it off, and immediately the lag was gone.
Before that, what helped somewhat, but not completely, was to disable the "Predictive" button, on the same page.
Nothing else worked. Restarting, resetting the keyboard, nothing. If you reset the keyboard and you have been "training" your iPhone to learn another language that it did not know, you will lose that whole dictionary - it is literally weeks of work. I would not advise resetting the keyboard. It is not an issue that keyboard reset will fix, and it is not not a hardware issue, obv. Not an upgrade issue either, just a setting.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
l6onn44vy