What’s the rationale for keeping the home screen from rotating into landscape mode?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Although you can rotate the screen to landscape mode while in numerous apps on the iPhone X, it seems we can’t rotate the actual home screens in the same manner. Can anyone tell me Apple’s rationale behind it?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I’m sure it’s for esthetic reasons due to the notch and the status bar at the top. I’m just guessing though. I don’t miss it all that much because I rarely use my phone in landscape but it seems Apple could make it happen if they really wanted to.
I may actually find value in a landscape home screen if it could transform the status bar into the “old” style used in every other device.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I would think it’s about pleasing everyone, if they made it where it couldn’t be rotated at all, someone would complain. Now they have the option of whether to have it rotate or not.

One less item in the complaint que they have to be concerned about. Just my perspective on it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I would think it’s about pleasing everyone, if they made it where it couldn’t be rotated at all, someone would complain. Now they have the option of whether to have it rotate or not.

One less item in the complaint que they have to be concerned about. Just my perspective on it.

...but that’s just it. You cannot rotate the home screens. You have to be using an app that supports landscape mode.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
It’s probably the same rationale for not having it on the 6/6s/7/8. I’m not always using my phone in portrait orientation so I do like having a landscape option for the home screen. I’m sure they could have easily just shifted the notifications to stay in the notch area, but just chose not to.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't know, but it may have to do with the aspect ratio and how it fits and looks. I'm sure they tried it, but must not have been too good functionally or something. I never use my homescreen in landscape. Never liked it.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I don't know, but it may have to do with the aspect ratio and how it fits and looks. I'm sure they tried it, but must not have been too good functionally or something. I never use my homescreen in landscape. Never liked it.

Pretty sure that’s what it is. The X doesn’t get the Plus UI at all. I remember Gurman saying this when the X was announced.

lemmifun

Jan 21, 2018
Visit site
Although you can rotate the screen to landscape mode while in numerous apps on the iPhone X, it seems we can’t rotate the actual home screens in the same manner. Can anyone tell me Apple’s rationale behind it?

Maybe Apple decided not support Landscape Home screen since you can’t use FaceId in Landscape. TouchID works nice in Landscape on the Plus size. Just a thought.

Pcrispy

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely hated the home screen rotation on the Plus. Obviously useful when inside apps, but on the home screen it was completely annoying more than anything to me. I'm glad to see it doesn't work.

Charles83solis

Sep 19, 2018
Visit site
Ok I figured out the problem with the home screen not rotating on the iPhoneX. And to be honest with you we were all wrong. The home screen does rotate to landscape mode. Why couldn't we figure this out sooner. Ok here's the secret. So get you iPhoneX restart it, but before you swipe the off switch you need to turn your phone sideways. Ok. Don't know why this works but it does. Once it comes back on just open the phone just like before. When you on the home screen turn your phone sideways and you will see that you are in landscape mode. I can't believe it was that easy.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Interesting. 7 Plus home screen rotates to landscape if Zoomed view is off, but won't if Zoomed view is on. I'd say it's probably because of the screen resolution or the notch.

H_D

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
iPhone XS Max’s home screen doesn’t rotate in landscape orientation either. I really don’t understand why.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
iPhone XS Max’s home screen doesn’t rotate in landscape orientation either. I really don’t understand why.

I am guessing it's for the same reason that the X didn't - unlike the Plus models, the Max has a narrow aspect ratio, so there is not enough up and down space. Another reason may be because FaceID does not support landscape orientation, and if you launch an app that uses FaceID (such as a password manager) while in landscape orientation people would e frustrated by the failure of FaceID to unlock.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Taking a wild guess here..."to make you upset" ..Laughing

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2