Is anyone planning to replace their iPhone X battery at year’s end?

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I highly doubt I’ll replace the battery of my iPhone X by year’s end. I haven’t needed a battery replacement with any of my previous iPhone models and I doubt I’ll need one with my iPhone X.

Correct.... if Apple isn’t going to mess up with iOS 12 like they did with iPhone 7 with 11.2

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
It messes with all iPhones.

Just right now it won't mess with iPhone 8 or X due to being newer batteries.
Wrong. It won’t mess with 8 or X just because the throttling alghoritm is model enabled, and Apple decided to enable it only for iPhone starting from the 6 up to the 7, so far.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Wrong. It won’t mess with 8 or X just because the throttling alghoritm is model enabled, and Apple decided to enable it only for iPhone starting from the 6 up to the 7, so far.
Technically I wasn't exactly wrong.. even if enabled the batteries are still new so in theory it shouldn't mess with them anyway.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Technically I wasn't exactly wrong.. even if enabled the batteries are still new so in theory it shouldn't mess with them anyway.
Unfortunately I witnessed a perfectly healthy iPhone SE being throttled by iOS even with a battery at 92% health (value assessed by an Apple genius in the store).
The iPhone is 8 months old.
Apple screwed up really bad this time...

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately I witnessed a perfectly healthy iPhone SE being throttled by iOS even with a battery at 92% health (value assessed by an Apple genius in the store).
The iPhone is 8 months old.
Apple screwed up really bad this time...
Wait really? Wow :/

I figured since it's new it should be okay but yeah if a new SE was doing that.. that's weird.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Wait really? Wow :/

I figured since it's new it should be okay but yeah if a new SE was doing that.. that's weird.
Indeed.
I was shocked. I think Apple is being too aggressive in applying this “feature”, and maybe non completely honest...
I’m a big Apple fanboy (Apple user since 1989...), but this time I’m very disappointed about their behavior. I really hope all this fuss about this topic will oblige them to fix the software.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Indeed.
I was shocked. I think Apple is being too aggressive in applying this “feature”, and maybe non completely honest...
I’m a big Apple fanboy (Apple user since 1989...), but this time I’m very disappointed about their behavior. I really hope all this fuss about this topic will oblige them to fix the software.
Yeah I just wish it was a toggle. Keep the setting if you want but just allow the user to turn it off if they want.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I plan on keeping the X for at least 2 years, so I am going to take advantage of this. I am getting really good battery life now, but that always seems to tank after a few months with iphones.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
In less than a year I’ll likely want new phones anyways. I might not even make it a whole year. By having two Xs and switching every week the batteries are only getting used half the time anyways so these X’s could/should last a while.

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Nope, I'll be upgrading to the X+. If that becomes a reality. Rumored to also have the screen made my LG so that's another iffy move too.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
So, in my mind, the iPhone X is the device that will encourage me to keep my phone for longer than a year. I honestly don't see where Apple could go in a year that would compel me to upgrade. It was a drastic enough shift from the previous gen and I don't see them doing a whole lot different next year. So I'm not sure I plan on upgrading next year.

That's what I say now, of course. But if I do indeed stick to that, I will probably consider switching the battery out just to prolong the life of my device unless Apple does away with that software mechanic.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
You are wrong.
Apple added support for this “feature” to iPhone 7 with iOS 11.2 last December. AT this time iPhone 8 and X aren’t included. They might be in the future (hopefully not).
Make a little search before calling someone else assertion “False”.

This isn't entirely true. The software that throttles our devices when the battery degrades is in ALL iPhones from the 6 on up. The only reason the 8 and the X wouldn't be included is simply because they are too new to be affected. Battery degradation hasn't affected them yet. But they most certainly COULD be affected. There is nothing preventing it at this time. In a year from now, our batteries would start to degrade and unless Apple has changed the way their software handles it, our phones won't be affected. So yes...ALL iPhones 6 on up are affected. It would be no different than buying an iPhone 6 brand new right now, technically. That iPhone 6 wouldn't really be affected at this time since it's new. But over time things could change.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
This isn't entirely true. The software that throttles our devices when the battery degrades is in ALL iPhones from the 6 on up. The only reason the 8 and the X wouldn't be included is simply because they are too new to be affected. Battery degradation hasn't affected them yet. But they most certainly COULD be affected. There is nothing preventing it at this time. In a year from now, our batteries would start to degrade and unless Apple has changed the way their software handles it, our phones won't be affected. So yes...ALL iPhones 6 on up are affected. It would be no different than buying an iPhone 6 brand new right now, technically. That iPhone 6 wouldn't really be affected at this time since it's new. But over time things could change.
Again NO, you are wrong.
At this time Apple didn’t added support for iPhone X and 8 to this feature. They just added support for iPhone 7/Plus in the last iOS 11.2
Things could change in the future but right now there is no throttling on latest iPhone

Attachments

• AF936B9B-218B-4938-8F3D-F7B4721512A2.jpeg
    AF936B9B-218B-4938-8F3D-F7B4721512A2.jpeg
    973.9 KB · Views: 1