Unfortunately I witnessed a perfectly healthy iPhone SE being throttled by iOS even with a battery at 92% health (value assessed by an Apple genius in the store).
    The iPhone is 8 months old.
    Apple screwed up really bad this time...
    Wait really? Wow :/

I figured since it's new it should be okay but yeah if a new SE was doing that.. that's weird.
    01-07-2018 01:07 PM
    Wait really? Wow :/

I figured since it's new it should be okay but yeah if a new SE was doing that.. that's weird.
    Indeed.
    I was shocked. I think Apple is being too aggressive in applying this “feature”, and maybe non completely honest...
    I’m a big Apple fanboy (Apple user since 1989...), but this time I’m very disappointed about their behavior. I really hope all this fuss about this topic will oblige them to fix the software.
    01-07-2018 01:14 PM
    Indeed.
    I was shocked. I think Apple is being too aggressive in applying this “feature”, and maybe non completely honest...
    I’m a big Apple fanboy (Apple user since 1989...), but this time I’m very disappointed about their behavior. I really hope all this fuss about this topic will oblige them to fix the software.
    Yeah I just wish it was a toggle. Keep the setting if you want but just allow the user to turn it off if they want.
    01-07-2018 01:42 PM
    It’s for iPhone model 6 and 7 only. 8 and X are not included. It only affects those phones that are at least more than a year. That’s when lithium battery starts to degrade.
    False: "All iphones 6 or later are included"
    https://www.imore.com/iphoneslow
    01-07-2018 04:12 PM
    I plan on keeping the X for at least 2 years, so I am going to take advantage of this. I am getting really good battery life now, but that always seems to tank after a few months with iphones.
    01-07-2018 04:14 PM
    In less than a year I’ll likely want new phones anyways. I might not even make it a whole year. By having two Xs and switching every week the batteries are only getting used half the time anyways so these X’s could/should last a while.
    01-07-2018 04:20 PM
    Nope, I'll be upgrading to the X+. If that becomes a reality. Rumored to also have the screen made my LG so that's another iffy move too.
    01-07-2018 04:40 PM
    Nope. Unless I need to but I see no reason why. I generally upgrade every year.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    01-07-2018 05:56 PM
    I'm replacing my 7 Plus's battery instead.
    01-07-2018 07:08 PM
    So, in my mind, the iPhone X is the device that will encourage me to keep my phone for longer than a year. I honestly don't see where Apple could go in a year that would compel me to upgrade. It was a drastic enough shift from the previous gen and I don't see them doing a whole lot different next year. So I'm not sure I plan on upgrading next year.

That's what I say now, of course. But if I do indeed stick to that, I will probably consider switching the battery out just to prolong the life of my device unless Apple does away with that software mechanic.
    Premium1 likes this.
    01-07-2018 07:58 PM
    False: "All iphones 6 or later are included"
    https://www.imore.com/iphoneslow
    You are wrong.
    Apple added support for this “feature” to iPhone 7 with iOS 11.2 last December. AT this time iPhone 8 and X aren’t included. They might be in the future (hopefully not).
    Make a little search before calling someone else assertion “False”.
    01-09-2018 02:52 AM
    If I'm understanding the table in the link below, current models like the iPhone 8 and X appear to be included in the replacement program.
    https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-power
    Premium1 likes this.
    01-09-2018 06:14 AM
    If I'm understanding the table in the link below, current models like the iPhone 8 and X appear to be included in the replacement program.
    https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-power
    If I’m not mistaken, the device will be tested by Apple and if it passes the test, then it’ll get the $29 battery replacement.
    01-09-2018 06:18 AM
    You are wrong.
    Apple added support for this “feature” to iPhone 7 with iOS 11.2 last December. AT this time iPhone 8 and X aren’t included. They might be in the future (hopefully not).
    This isn't entirely true. The software that throttles our devices when the battery degrades is in ALL iPhones from the 6 on up. The only reason the 8 and the X wouldn't be included is simply because they are too new to be affected. Battery degradation hasn't affected them yet. But they most certainly COULD be affected. There is nothing preventing it at this time. In a year from now, our batteries would start to degrade and unless Apple has changed the way their software handles it, our phones won't be affected. So yes...ALL iPhones 6 on up are affected. It would be no different than buying an iPhone 6 brand new right now, technically. That iPhone 6 wouldn't really be affected at this time since it's new. But over time things could change.
    Premium1 likes this.
    01-09-2018 09:14 AM
    This isn't entirely true. The software that throttles our devices when the battery degrades is in ALL iPhones from the 6 on up. The only reason the 8 and the X wouldn't be included is simply because they are too new to be affected. Battery degradation hasn't affected them yet. But they most certainly COULD be affected. There is nothing preventing it at this time. In a year from now, our batteries would start to degrade and unless Apple has changed the way their software handles it, our phones won't be affected. So yes...ALL iPhones 6 on up are affected. It would be no different than buying an iPhone 6 brand new right now, technically. That iPhone 6 wouldn't really be affected at this time since it's new. But over time things could change.
    Again NO, you are wrong.
    At this time Apple didn’t added support for iPhone X and 8 to this feature. They just added support for iPhone 7/Plus in the last iOS 11.2
    Things could change in the future but right now there is no throttling on latest iPhone
    Attached Thumbnails Is anyone planning to replace their iPhone X battery at year’s end?-af936b9b-218b-4938-8f3d-f7b4721512a2.jpeg  
    01-09-2018 09:52 AM
    If I’m not mistaken, the device will be tested by Apple and if it passes the test, then it’ll get the $29 battery replacement.
    Nope. Battery will be replaced no question asked , but just ONE TIME per user. After that if you need another battery it will be full price ($79).
    If you need an AppleCare replacement (battery below 80% health within the warranty period) it will be done for free but it needs to be tested first.
    01-09-2018 09:57 AM
    Again NO, you are wrong.
    At this time Apple didn’t added support for iPhone X and 8 to this feature. They just added support for iPhone 7/Plus in the last iOS 11.2
    Things could change in the future but right now there is no throttling on latest iPhone
    "Our goal is to deliver the best experience for customers, which includes overall performance and prolonging the life of their devices. Lithium-ion batteries become less capable of supplying peak current demands when in cold conditions, have a low battery charge or as they age over time, which can result in the device unexpectedly shutting down to protect its electronic components.

Last year we released a feature for iPhone 6, iPhone 6s and iPhone SE to smooth out the instantaneous peaks only when needed to prevent the device from unexpectedly shutting down during these conditions. We've now extended that feature to iPhone 7 with iOS 11.2, and plan to add support for other products in the future."
    I stand corrected. They plan to support other products in the future.
    01-09-2018 10:02 AM
    I stand corrected. They plan to support other products in the future.
    Hopefully with all this fuss about the issue they will rethink about that
    01-09-2018 10:15 AM
    Nope. Battery will be replaced no question asked , but just ONE TIME per user. After that if you need another battery it will be full price ($79).
    If you need an AppleCare replacement (battery below 80% health within the warranty period) it will be done for free but it needs to be tested first.
    Thank you for clarifying!
    01-09-2018 05:33 PM
    You are wrong.
    Actually you are wrong. Has nothing to do with the "feature" I am talking about apple allowing the $29 battery repair. Nice try... Right from apple's site.. https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-power
    01-09-2018 06:01 PM
    Actually you are wrong. Has nothing to do with the "feature" I am talking about apple allowing the $29 battery repair. Nice try... Right from apple's site.. https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-power
    Ah ok, if you are only referring to the discounted $29 replacement, yes, every iPhone newer than the 6 is eligible.
    Fortunately the throttle issue doesn’t affect the 8 and X so far...
    01-09-2018 11:29 PM
    Ah ok, if you are only referring to the discounted $29 replacement, yes, every iPhone newer than the 6 is eligible.
    Fortunately the throttle issue doesn’t affect the 8 and X so far...
    They’ll wait until they release their next phones before infecting the 8 and X.
    01-10-2018 04:40 AM
    Yes it'll come in the form of a new X and I assume it'll have a new battery also. Hopefully an X plus.
    tadpoles likes this.
    01-10-2018 06:14 AM
    Nope bc I upgrade with each cycle. That said, I do plan to replace the batteries on my kids’ phones (they each have a 6s) before the program is over.
    01-10-2018 07:44 AM
    They’ll wait until they release their next phones before infecting the 8 and X.
    After all this scandal I don’t think they are going to do that again...
    01-10-2018 01:29 PM
67 123