Google / Pixel Junkie Swapping to iPhone X for A Week! (update: now going for a few months)

VivaTerlingua

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Re: Google / Pixel Junkie Swapping to iPhone X for A Week!

^

Or wait .. is that just Google Assistant doing that? Could be since I use it to ask for a lot lol... oops :-x

It's mostly Google apps that give you that option, but there are a few others. I use Spark for my email and it lets you use Chrome as your browser to open links. Tripit lets you choose Google maps in the settings. There are more that I can't think of right now, but it is not a default behavior in iOS.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site

Let me know what you think of DirecTV now. I had it when it launched and it was so bad. I've heard it's improved and will get cloud DVR early this year. Once that happens I may try it out again. I'm using psvue now and love it. More channels on DirecTV now though

I’ve had it for a few months now. It was great until the week of Christmas. Since then it’s been HORRIBLE. Constant buffering and many times no channels will tune in at all. I thought maybe it was just me till I looked on Twitter and found a ton of people with the same issues. I tried watching it tonight but the buffering was aggravating. I got in on the $10/month Att deal for the 60 channel package. If it wasn’t $10 I’d dump it right now. I use an Emby server from my office where we have cable over Directv Now. I’m only keeping it in hopes that it gets better and the DVR gets fixed.

My buddy has the DVR beta and it’s god awful. You MUST have the app open for the shows to record. Many times they still don’t record. While watching a show it will jump back 10 minutes for no reason and sometimes restart. It’s nowhere near ready for prime time.

I’ve had PS Vue, Hulu TV, YouTube TV and briefly Sling. PS Vue is still the best.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

I’ve had it for a few months now. It was great until the week of Christmas. Since then it’s been HORRIBLE. Constant buffering and many times no channels will tune in at all. I thought maybe it was just me till I looked on Twitter and found a ton of people with the same issues. I tried watching it tonight but the buffering was aggravating. I got in on the $10/month Att deal for the 60 channel package. If it wasn’t $10 I’d dump it right now. I use an Emby server from my office where we have cable over Directv Now. I’m only keeping it in hopes that it gets better and the DVR gets fixed.

My buddy has the DVR beta and it’s god awful. You MUST have the app open for the shows to record. Many times they still don’t record. While watching a show it will jump back 10 minutes for no reason and sometimes restart. It’s nowhere near ready for prime time.

I’ve had PS Vue, Hulu TV, YouTube TV and briefly Sling. PS Vue is still the best.

Good to know and thanks for sharing your experience! I am staying on PSVue for now

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site

I read an article that DirecTV Now had a huge spike in new subscribers over the holidays and that's why it's buffering all the time. I signed up for it about a month ago and it was working great, until Christmas. Then all it does is buffer. So much buffering. It's not my internet that's the problem either. I'm using a Roku Ultra and that, too, isn't the issue. I hope they fix their issues because they still have the best channel selection out of all the streaming services.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site

I read an article that DirecTV Now had a huge spike in new subscribers over the holidays and that's why it's buffering all the time. I signed up for it about a month ago and it was working great, until Christmas. Then all it does is buffer. So much buffering. It's not my internet that's the problem either. I'm using a Roku Ultra and that, too, isn't the issue. I hope they fix their issues because they still have the best channel selection out of all the streaming services.

I agree, the channel lineup is by far the best. Hopefully they fix the servers and the DVR before it rolls out. If those 2 things weren’t an issue, it would be the best service by far.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

So far for the day + I have had it I haven't seen any buffering. Occasional hiccup in quality but it goes right back to HD after.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

How's the X treating you so far?

It ain't bad. I miss my Pixel so I may not make it a week. Nothing from the iPhone is making me be like "I can't stand this at all!" and have to go back but I just miss my comfort pick :p.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

It ain't bad. I miss my Pixel so I may not make it a week. Nothing from the iPhone is making me be like "I can't stand this at all!" and have to go back but I just miss my comfort pick :p.

My sisters husband switched to android after being on iOS for 5 years, just because he didn’t consider the iPhone 8 an upgrade for the 7 and the iPhone X he deemed too expensive.

When I saw him today he complained about the many small stuff that annoyed him about Android in general.

I replied with something like: all systems are basically the same, the small stuff are what really counts. Ohhh, and I had a very big “I told you so” moment.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

My sisters husband switched to android after being on iOS for 5 years, just because he didn’t consider the iPhone 8 an upgrade for the 7 and the iPhone X he deemed too expensive.

When I saw him today he complained about the many small stuff that annoyed him about Android in general.

I replied with something like: all systems are basically the same, the small stuff are what really counts. Ohhh, and I had a very big “I told you so” moment.
Yeah I'm in the opposite boat. I don't hate the iPhone but I miss the little things from my Pixel.

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site

I'm doing the exact thing right now for a few days with my wife's iPhone X. My daily driver is a Note 8. We switched phones. She came from Android not to long along ago so she knows the ins & outs of it. I'm only a day in & it's some things I don't like. Other than that this is a pretty good phone. The notifications are trash though lol.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I could use either. It is nice being smaller but it just means I have to be careful with not dropping it. The screen is nice as well.. just not all my apps are setup for the X yet which kind of sucks. Makes the screen feel scrunched lol.
Many like the X over the Plus sized phones because the larger are easier to drop! :)

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com

Fully agree on that note. That is one thing I can say I "hate" about iOS.. never liked the notification system.

Do you dislike the UI, the fact that they're in chronological order instead of by app, or something else entirely? I kind of prefer the overall UI of Android's notifications, but prefer the chronological order of iOS.

VivaTerlingua

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site

Fully agree on that note. That is one thing I can say I "hate" about iOS.. never liked the notification system.

I have very few things that I want to be notified about, so notifications aren't that big of deal to me. I guess if you got a lot of notifications then the notification setup would be more important to you.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Do you dislike the UI, the fact that they're in chronological order instead of by app, or something else entirely? I kind of prefer the overall UI of Android's notifications, but prefer the chronological order of iOS.
Mainly the notifications themselves. On Android I can look at the top left and see Gmail, Reddit, and a text message are waiting. On iPhone I have to go to a specific drop down to see what notifications are waiting for me.

A big example is reminders. I see the finger with the string tied around it on Android and I know I have a reminder. On iPhone I'd have to go into notifications in a specific drop down to see it. That doesn't help with things like reminders since it's supposed to remind me.. if I forget to check the notification well... It's useless. On Android it's at the top left until cleared so I can see it any app, screen, etc.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I have very few things that I want to be notified about, so notifications aren't that big of deal to me. I guess if you got a lot of notifications then the notification setup would be more important to you.
I do. From Reddit, emails, texts, and especially reminders. See above post for more detail.

I have a lot of things going on day to day :).

VivaTerlingua

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site

I do. From Reddit, emails, texts, and especially reminders. See above post for more detail.

I have a lot of things going on day to day :).

I would hate getting email notifications. I check email when I’m in the mood to deal with emails. I want notifications for texts, missed calls, and some calendar events. That’s it. IOS is fine for that for me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro