Google / Pixel Junkie Swapping to iPhone X for A Week! (update: now going for a few months)

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Re: Google / Pixel Junkie Swapping to iPhone X for A Week!

I haven't since when my Mom texts me on my Pixel it does this as well. That's from Sprint to Verizon.

My buddy on T-Mobile has tested sending me big messages and it does the same thing. It doesn't seem to matter what carrier.

Ok, I may have an answer and a possible fix for you. I'm not sure if it'll help or not, but found this quote on an Apple developers forum:
Apparently this is to do with Apple's introduction of "Smart Punctuation" in iOS11 which is now enabled by default. Makes text look typographically nicer but breaks data entry apps , passwords etc. Also forces SMS into using Unicode characters, limiting to 80 chars or forcing multiple SMS or even worse MMS messages to be sent.

Thanks Apple!

You can turn smart punctuation off in Settings, tap General. Then, tap Keyboards, and toggle Smart Punctuation to off - but try telling 10,000 users that!

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Ok, I may have an answer and a possible fix for you. I'm not sure if it'll help or not, but found this quote on an Apple developers forum:
Apparently this is to do with Apple's introduction of "Smart Punctuation" in iOS11 which is now enabled by default. Makes text look typographically nicer but breaks data entry apps , passwords etc. Also forces SMS into using Unicode characters, limiting to 80 chars or forcing multiple SMS or even worse MMS messages to be sent.

Thanks Apple!

You can turn smart punctuation off in Settings, tap General. Then, tap Keyboards, and toggle Smart Punctuation to off - but try telling 10,000 users that!

Yeah I thought that was the issue and changed it but it didn't help... UNTIL I rebooted. Now it seems to be going to my Android buddies without an issue.

Very interesting .. but that does solve the problem for me.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Never thought I’d see this thread in a million years LOL.

Haha yeah most don't know that I actually don't hate the other side on the fence .. but most assume due to my position over there ^_^.

strikeIII

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site

Hello all :p. I am Almeuit. Some of you I know ... and some of you I don't. I am the Mod Team Lead from iMore's sister site -- Android Central.

I am what you would call a Pixel / Android junkie. I am all in with Google and things of that nature. I have a Chromecast at home, 2x Chromecast Ultra, 2x Google Home Mini, Google Home, hopefully a Google Home Max one of these days, and I use a Pixel 2 XL as my daily driver. I have tried many Android phones (All Samsung ones, LG, some HTC, some Motorola, etc.) but I have found my home w/ the Pixel phones. As I have gotten older I value things like security updates which.. in the Android world... nothing beats the Pixel on that due to updates from Google.

Okay okay enough random nonsense about me. Basically I am in possession of an iPhone X from a good buddy of mine. He is lending it to me so I can give the iPhone a good try. I tried it in the past (iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPhone 6 Plus) but I figure Apple has revamped the whole thing so... why not give the iPhone X a try? :D.

I just got it all setup. All apps installed/logged in. Face ID is up and running and I am locked onto my Verizon LTE. I figure I will post here if I run into weird things / have questions but other then that... if you have any tips I am all ears! ^_^

What's going on Almeuit. Good to see you here as well. I'm more active over at Android Central as you've probably seen me around there more. I switch back and forth quite often with Android as my Primary but just this past Monday I switched my primary sim into my X. This will by my second time running my X as my primary since it's release so feel free to reach out if you have any questions. I'm probably just as invested into Google as you are so I can probably assist with any questions.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

What's going on Almeuit. Good to see you here as well. I'm more active over at Android Central as you've probably seen me around there more. I switch back and forth quite often with Android as my Primary but just this past Monday I switched my primary sim into my X. This will by my second time running my X as my primary since it's release so feel free to reach out if you have any questions. I'm probably just as invested into Google as you are so I can probably assist with any questions.

Yep I remember seeing you around :).

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Well so far is so good. Since the SMS issue is resolved I really see no issues with the phone. Screen / performance is great. I personally believe the Pixel 2 XL is snappier though -- but I believe that is just due to iPhones animations and not really a hardware or "lag" issue.

I will admit I do like the Face ID. Especially for my PW manager (Last Pass). I just tap it, it authenticates since I am already looking at it, and bam all my passwords. I could easily live on an iPhone but I know I won't simply because I like the Android ecosystem. With that said though I don't see any big issues or "omg I can't stand this" type of things.

On a side note I signed up for DirecTV NOW and prepaid 4 months... got a free Apple TV 4k on the way for the living room. :p.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

Well so far is so good. Since the SMS issue is resolved I really see no issues with the phone. Screen / performance is great. I personally believe the Pixel 2 XL is snappier though -- but I believe that is just due to iPhones animations and not really a hardware or "lag" issue.

I will admit I do like the Face ID. Especially for my PW manager (Last Pass). I just tap it, it authenticates since I am already looking at it, and bam all my passwords. I could easily live on an iPhone but I know I won't simply because I like the Android ecosystem. With that said though I don't see any big issues or "omg I can't stand this" type of things.

On a side note I signed up for DirecTV NOW and prepaid 4 months... got a free Apple TV 4k on the way for the living room. :p.

Let me know what you think of DirecTV now. I had it when it launched and it was so bad. I've heard it's improved and will get cloud DVR early this year. Once that happens I may try it out again. I'm using psvue now and love it. More channels on DirecTV now though

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Let me know what you think of DirecTV now. I had it when it launched and it was so bad. I've heard it's improved and will get cloud DVR early this year. Once that happens I may try it out again. I'm using psvue now and love it. More channels on DirecTV now though

Yeah I have the "real" DirecTV (canceling today or tomorrow)... the sad part is with DirecTV now I get more channels for less lol. My buddy has had it since the start and said it used to be horrible but it has gotten a LOT better. He said still not perfect but a lot better.

I should get the Apple TV in 2-3 weeks. For now I can use the Chromecast Ultras or the Fire TV stick.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

Yeah I have the "real" DirecTV (canceling today or tomorrow)... the sad part is with DirecTV now I get more channels for less lol. My buddy has had it since the start and said it used to be horrible but it has gotten a LOT better. He said still not perfect but a lot better.

I should get the Apple TV in 2-3 weeks. For now I can use the Chromecast Ultras or the Fire TV stick.

Yeah it's definitely not perfected yet. I won't switch till it is because psvue is so flawless. The savings per month cutting cords is wild. I now can afford my Netflix subscription, Amazon prime, and home security system since getting rid of satellite

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Yeah it's definitely not perfected yet. I won't switch till it is because psvue is so flawless. The savings per month cutting cords is wild. I now can afford my Netflix subscription, Amazon prime, and home security system since getting rid of satellite

Yep. I will keep the internet though from AT&T. It is fiber (1k up/down) w/ unlimited data.

I can't wait for the Apple TV to be honest. I used my buddies and liked it a lot. It will go in the living room and I can use the Fire Stick in my PC room.. then Chromecast elsewhere :).

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

Yep. I will keep the internet though from AT&T. It is fiber (1k up/down) w/ unlimited data.

I can't wait for the Apple TV to be honest. I used my buddies and liked it a lot. It will go in the living room and I can use the Fire Stick in my PC room.. then Chromecast elsewhere :).

Nice, I have an older apple tv and never use it. I use a Roku and Amazon fire TV on my TV's

Coming from the pixel 2 XL, what do you think of the size of the X? I used to love the large phones....got sick of the hugeness and got an iPhone 7 that I hated, was too small. There was no happy medium with Apple. It was the big clunky plus or the too small 4.7”

Now that the X came out I think the size is so great. Could be a tad bigger, but very comfy in the hand. When I tested out the pixel 2 XL I found it very cumbersome to hold. Not rounded enough and too big IMO. I know some people enjoy the bigger phones I just think it’s too big

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Coming from the pixel 2 XL, what do you think of the size of the X? I used to love the large phones....got sick of the hugeness and got an iPhone 7 that I hated, was too small. There was no happy medium with Apple. It was the big clunky plus or the too small 4.7”

Now that the X came out I think the size is so great. Could be a tad bigger, but very comfy in the hand. When I tested out the pixel 2 XL I found it very cumbersome to hold. Not rounded enough and too big IMO. I know some people enjoy the bigger phones I just think it’s too big

It definitely feels smaller for sure. I got so used to my Pixel 2 XL I could swing it around my my hand to put it in my pocket easily. I went to do that with the X and that is when I noticed how small it truly was.

My buddy at work loves his iPhone SE. He loves smaller phones so I have been showing him the iPhone X. It is a little bit bigger but truly I think he would love it. It isn't the behemoth phones most are used to.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

It definitely feels smaller for sure. I got so used to my Pixel 2 XL I could swing it around my my hand to put it in my pocket easily. I went to do that with the X and that is when I noticed how small it truly was.

My buddy at work loves his iPhone SE. He loves smaller phones so I have been showing him the iPhone X. It is a little bit bigger but truly I think he would love it. It isn't the behemoth phones most are used to.

Are you thinking too small for your liking? Apparently there will be a bigger version next year. A lot of plus users have complained it’s too small

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Are you thinking too small for your liking? Apparently there will be a bigger version next year. A lot of plus users have complained it’s too small

I could use either. It is nice being smaller but it just means I have to be careful with not dropping it. The screen is nice as well.. just not all my apps are setup for the X yet which kind of sucks. Makes the screen feel scrunched lol.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

I could use either. It is nice being smaller but it just means I have to be careful with not dropping it. The screen is nice as well.. just not all my apps are setup for the X yet which kind of sucks. Makes the screen feel scrunched lol.

You seem very easy going all around lol.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

You seem very easy going all around lol.

Haha yeah I am pretty laid back. 2-3 years ago I would be more "This sucks, this sucks, this sucks" .. but now I can just see it is different. Things are moved, act different, but in the end they still deliver the same experience. Such as the apps not being updated for the iPhone X are the apps fault -- not the iPhones. Most devs have updated .. the ones (*cough* twitch.tv *cough*) are just being lazy :p.

I usually like bigger phones but really just bigger screens. The X being more hand held is a good thing since I know more people will like it and I will like it since I still have good screen real estate :D.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

Haha yeah I am pretty laid back. 2-3 years ago I would be more "This sucks, this sucks, this sucks" .. but now I can just see it is different. Things are moved, act different, but in the end they still deliver the same experience. Such as the apps not being updated for the iPhone X are the apps fault -- not the iPhones. Most devs have updated .. the ones (*cough* twitch.tv *cough*) are just being lazy :p.

I usually like bigger phones but really just bigger screens. The X being more hand held is a good thing since I know more people will like it and I will like it since I still have good screen real estate :D.

I hear ya, I always have to see the big picture as well too and sometimes take a step back. A phone is a phone, they all make voice calls, video calls, can text and search internet...etc. it’s just a matter of what you like better and what fits into your lifestyle better. For me I had to step back and say what do I value most...iMessage (sending videos) and FaceTime. My family members and close friends are all iOS users and to single myself out is silly. Then I think to myself why should I settle because they all use iOS? I want to use what I like. In the end it’s easier for me to use be on iOS platform and I just need to accept that once and for all. I do miss android though at times.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I hear ya, I always have to see the big picture as well too and sometimes take a step back. A phone is a phone, they all make voice calls, video calls, can text and search internet...etc. it’s just a matter of what you like better and what fits into your lifestyle better. For me I had to step back and say what do I value most...iMessage (sending videos) and FaceTime. My family members and close friends are all iOS users and to single myself out is silly. Then I think to myself why should I settle because they all use iOS? I want to use what I like. In the end it’s easier for me to use be on iOS platform and I just need to accept that once and for all. I do miss android though at times.

Yeah if I had family members the relied on it a ton I could see myself going for it. Most of my family uses Android though -- except for the parents. When Mom sends a video she has learned to send it to the gf so I can view it in good quality.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I will say I am glad to see Apple borrowed this idea (we all know Google and Apple borrow so I don't mean it in a bad way)....

IMG_0024.JPG

The "which app do you want" is a great thing.. especially with the toggle to not always use it since sometimes you may want to change it up.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

^

Or wait .. is that just Google Assistant doing that? Could be since I use it to ask for a lot lol... oops :-x

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods