Google / Pixel Junkie Swapping to iPhone X for A Week! (update: now going for a few months)

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Google / Pixel Junkie Swapping to iPhone X for A Week!

GA and AA was the perfect combination imo. Especially when they added Waze. No Waze on CarPlay unfortunately.

Oh dang :(. Yeah I found out Waze is amazing when I go visit Disney (which lately has been once a month). Helps with seeing disabled vehicles on the road from other people reporting it, cops, etc. Great app for sure.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

Well we’ll definitely answer any questions you have. I’m also curious about your thoughts on the X after using it for a week.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site

Welcome to the dark side and feel free to ask any questions. I have been using the X as my daily driver since the official launch day and I love the device.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Google / Pixel Junkie Swapping to iPhone X for A Week!

Welcome to the dark side and feel free to ask any questions. I have been using the X as my daily driver since the official launch day and I love the device.

I resent being called Dark Side 🤨
We are the bringers of light, joy and life itself.

Last edited:

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site

@Almeuit Wait .. You cheatin' on us?!?!? Philistine!! Deceiver!! Charlatan!! :p

Jokes aside, look forward to hearing your thoughts on this one. I'm sure it will be well thought out! :)

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I actually have one complaint / question for a fix. My Mom has had this issue for awhile now when texting me and my brother on our Android phones. Basically when it isn't iMessage...

It seems whenever she sends a text it splits the texts up -- a lot. Not the normal 160 characters then split from the carriers .. more like 60-70 characters and split. I texted a friend tonight and he said my message came in 4 text messages. It was most likely around 180-200 characters.

Is there a fix for this?

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site

I actually have one complaint / question for a fix. My Mom has had this issue for awhile now when texting me and my brother on our Android phones. Basically when it isn't iMessage...

It seems whenever she sends a text it splits the texts up -- a lot. Not the normal 160 characters then split from the carriers .. more like 60-70 characters and split. I texted a friend tonight and he said my message came in 4 text messages. It was most likely around 180-200 characters.

Is there a fix for this?

I could be wrong but that sounds like a carrier issue. I text a friend in the US who is on AT&T all the time. I am with Telus in Canada. I have sent 2000+ character text with it never getting split up on their end. It did not matter whether we were using or S8 Plus or iPhone. They can send me equally large text with it never splitting up. Like I said I could be wrong but I'm unaware of anyway to fix that on the iPhone itself.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I could be wrong but that sounds like a carrier issue. I text a friend in the US who is on AT&T all the time. I am with Telus in Canada. I have sent 2000+ character text with it never getting split up on their end. It did not matter whether we were using or S8 Plus or iPhone. They can send me equally large text with it never splitting up. Like I said I could be wrong but I'm unaware of anyway to fix that on the iPhone itself.

Well the funny thing is only iPhones cause the splitting. My brother on Sprint can text me and it splits at the normal 160 characters. Mom on iPhone does and it splits a ton.

I am on Verizon and text on my Pixel 2 XL -- normal 160 splits unless I force MMS. On the iPhone that one text was 4 texts.

worldspy99

Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2014
Visit site

Well the funny thing is only iPhones cause the splitting. My brother on Sprint can text me and it splits at the normal 160 characters. Mom on iPhone does and it splits a ton.

I am on Verizon and text on my Pixel 2 XL -- normal 160 splits unless I force MMS. On the iPhone that one text was 4 texts.
I think iPhone emojis are what might be causing it. I got a small text broken into 3 from someone tonight who uses an iPhone. Characters were less than 160 but there were a few emoji. At least that's my guess.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site

I think iPhone emojis are what might be causing it. I got a small text broken into 3 from someone tonight who uses an iPhone. Characters were less than 160 but there were a few emoji. At least that's my guess.

It's a possibility as Android emoji are not all identical to the iOS emoji. Thanks. I wasn't 100% sure I was correct.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

No emoji in the text example I had from tonight.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

Never thought I’d see this thread in a million years LOL.

Usually whenever a new Android phone comes out I pounce on it but this 2017 was different for me. I only tried the S8+ and after only using it for the weekend I couldn’t wait to put my sim back in my then 7+. There’s just a level of polish that iOS has for me that is lacking in Android and irritates the living daylights out of me haha. I used to root, flash roms and customize the crap out of Android phones back in the day.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com

Is there a fix for this?

Maybe it's an RCS issue. I know Verizon only supports it on their native messaging app. AT&T and T-Mo support it, but it's incompatible with Sprint's version. RCS is great, but with Google and all the carriers offering their own version things might get worse before they get better with messaging.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Maybe it's an RCS issue. I know Verizon only supports it on their native messaging app. AT&T and T-Mo support it, but it's incompatible with Sprint's version. RCS is great, but with Google and all the carriers offering their own version things might get worse before they get better with messaging.

Does iPhone support RCS by default?

The example I provided was me testing a buddy who is also on Verizon. He is using a stock messaging app on his V20.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com

Does iPhone support RCS by default?

The example I provided was me testing a buddy who is also on Verizon. He is using a stock messaging app on his V20.
No it doesn't that I know of. I always assumed that is defaults to the carriers own protocol when iMessage isn't available. That's kinda what I was referring to.

Have you downloaded Messages+ on your iPhone and tested with your friend on the V20 also using Verizon's messaging app? I wonder what would happen in that case? If it works properly it would have to be something between Verizon's protocol and whatever protocol Apple Messages App defaults to when iMessage isn't an option.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

No it doesn't that I know of. I always assumed that is defaults to the carriers own protocol when iMessage isn't available. That's kinda what I was referring to.

Have you downloaded Messages+ on your iPhone and tested with your friend on the V20 also using Verizon's messaging app? I wonder what would happen in that case? If it works properly it would have to be something between Verizon's protocol and whatever protocol Apple Messages App defaults to when iMessage isn't an option.

I haven't since when my Mom texts me on my Pixel it does this as well. That's from Sprint to Verizon.

My buddy on T-Mobile has tested sending me big messages and it does the same thing. It doesn't seem to matter what carrier.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro