Sorry, I didn’t mean to offend anyone, just trying to add some Star Wars humor.
    Oh he isn't offended. Don't worry about him :P
    Tartarus likes this.
    01-03-2018 05:24 PM
    @Almeuit Wait .. You cheatin' on us?!?!? Philistine!! Deceiver!! Charlatan!!

Jokes aside, look forward to hearing your thoughts on this one. I'm sure it will be well thought out!
    Tartarus and metllicamilitia like this.
    01-03-2018 05:38 PM
    I actually have one complaint / question for a fix. My Mom has had this issue for awhile now when texting me and my brother on our Android phones. Basically when it isn't iMessage...

It seems whenever she sends a text it splits the texts up -- a lot. Not the normal 160 characters then split from the carriers .. more like 60-70 characters and split. I texted a friend tonight and he said my message came in 4 text messages. It was most likely around 180-200 characters.

Is there a fix for this?
    01-03-2018 11:26 PM
    I actually have one complaint / question for a fix. My Mom has had this issue for awhile now when texting me and my brother on our Android phones. Basically when it isn't iMessage...

It seems whenever she sends a text it splits the texts up -- a lot. Not the normal 160 characters then split from the carriers .. more like 60-70 characters and split. I texted a friend tonight and he said my message came in 4 text messages. It was most likely around 180-200 characters.

Is there a fix for this?
    I could be wrong but that sounds like a carrier issue. I text a friend in the US who is on AT&T all the time. I am with Telus in Canada. I have sent 2000+ character text with it never getting split up on their end. It did not matter whether we were using or S8 Plus or iPhone. They can send me equally large text with it never splitting up. Like I said I could be wrong but I'm unaware of anyway to fix that on the iPhone itself.
    01-04-2018 12:14 AM
    I could be wrong but that sounds like a carrier issue. I text a friend in the US who is on AT&T all the time. I am with Telus in Canada. I have sent 2000+ character text with it never getting split up on their end. It did not matter whether we were using or S8 Plus or iPhone. They can send me equally large text with it never splitting up. Like I said I could be wrong but I'm unaware of anyway to fix that on the iPhone itself.
    Well the funny thing is only iPhones cause the splitting. My brother on Sprint can text me and it splits at the normal 160 characters. Mom on iPhone does and it splits a ton.

I am on Verizon and text on my Pixel 2 XL -- normal 160 splits unless I force MMS. On the iPhone that one text was 4 texts.
    01-04-2018 12:15 AM
    Well the funny thing is only iPhones cause the splitting. My brother on Sprint can text me and it splits at the normal 160 characters. Mom on iPhone does and it splits a ton.

I am on Verizon and text on my Pixel 2 XL -- normal 160 splits unless I force MMS. On the iPhone that one text was 4 texts.
    I think iPhone emojis are what might be causing it. I got a small text broken into 3 from someone tonight who uses an iPhone. Characters were less than 160 but there were a few emoji. At least that's my guess.
    01-04-2018 12:38 AM
    I think iPhone emojis are what might be causing it. I got a small text broken into 3 from someone tonight who uses an iPhone. Characters were less than 160 but there were a few emoji. At least that's my guess.
    It's a possibility as Android emoji are not all identical to the iOS emoji. Thanks. I wasn't 100% sure I was correct.
    01-04-2018 12:50 AM
    No emoji in the text example I had from tonight.
    01-04-2018 12:57 AM

Never thought I’d see this thread in a million years LOL.

Usually whenever a new Android phone comes out I pounce on it but this 2017 was different for me. I only tried the S8+ and after only using it for the weekend I couldn’t wait to put my sim back in my then 7+. There’s just a level of polish that iOS has for me that is lacking in Android and irritates the living daylights out of me haha. I used to root, flash roms and customize the crap out of Android phones back in the day.
    Almeuit likes this.
    01-04-2018 04:29 AM
    Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!
    Tartarus likes this.
    01-04-2018 04:55 AM
    Enjoy the Xperience!
    Tartarus likes this.
    01-04-2018 08:43 AM

Is there a fix for this?
    Maybe it's an RCS issue. I know Verizon only supports it on their native messaging app. AT&T and T-Mo support it, but it's incompatible with Sprint's version. RCS is great, but with Google and all the carriers offering their own version things might get worse before they get better with messaging.
    01-04-2018 08:57 AM
    Maybe it's an RCS issue. I know Verizon only supports it on their native messaging app. AT&T and T-Mo support it, but it's incompatible with Sprint's version. RCS is great, but with Google and all the carriers offering their own version things might get worse before they get better with messaging.
    Does iPhone support RCS by default?

The example I provided was me testing a buddy who is also on Verizon. He is using a stock messaging app on his V20.
    01-04-2018 09:19 AM
    Does iPhone support RCS by default?

The example I provided was me testing a buddy who is also on Verizon. He is using a stock messaging app on his V20.
    No it doesn't that I know of. I always assumed that is defaults to the carriers own protocol when iMessage isn't available. That's kinda what I was referring to.

Have you downloaded Messages+ on your iPhone and tested with your friend on the V20 also using Verizon's messaging app? I wonder what would happen in that case? If it works properly it would have to be something between Verizon's protocol and whatever protocol Apple Messages App defaults to when iMessage isn't an option.
    01-04-2018 09:43 AM
    No it doesn't that I know of. I always assumed that is defaults to the carriers own protocol when iMessage isn't available. That's kinda what I was referring to.

Have you downloaded Messages+ on your iPhone and tested with your friend on the V20 also using Verizon's messaging app? I wonder what would happen in that case? If it works properly it would have to be something between Verizon's protocol and whatever protocol Apple Messages App defaults to when iMessage isn't an option.
    I haven't since when my Mom texts me on my Pixel it does this as well. That's from Sprint to Verizon.

My buddy on T-Mobile has tested sending me big messages and it does the same thing. It doesn't seem to matter what carrier.
    01-04-2018 09:58 AM
    I haven't since when my Mom texts me on my Pixel it does this as well. That's from Sprint to Verizon.

My buddy on T-Mobile has tested sending me big messages and it does the same thing. It doesn't seem to matter what carrier.
    Ok, I may have an answer and a possible fix for you. I'm not sure if it'll help or not, but found this quote on an Apple developers forum:
    Apparently this is to do with Apple's introduction of "Smart Punctuation" in iOS11 which is now enabled by default. Makes text look typographically nicer but breaks data entry apps , passwords etc. Also forces SMS into using Unicode characters, limiting to 80 chars or forcing multiple SMS or even worse MMS messages to be sent.

Thanks Apple!

You can turn smart punctuation off in Settings, tap General. Then, tap Keyboards, and toggle Smart Punctuation to off - but try telling 10,000 users that!
    Almeuit likes this.
    01-04-2018 10:44 AM
    Ok, I may have an answer and a possible fix for you. I'm not sure if it'll help or not, but found this quote on an Apple developers forum:
    Apparently this is to do with Apple's introduction of "Smart Punctuation" in iOS11 which is now enabled by default. Makes text look typographically nicer but breaks data entry apps , passwords etc. Also forces SMS into using Unicode characters, limiting to 80 chars or forcing multiple SMS or even worse MMS messages to be sent.

Thanks Apple!

You can turn smart punctuation off in Settings, tap General. Then, tap Keyboards, and toggle Smart Punctuation to off - but try telling 10,000 users that!
    Yeah I thought that was the issue and changed it but it didn't help... UNTIL I rebooted. Now it seems to be going to my Android buddies without an issue.

Very interesting .. but that does solve the problem for me.
    msm0511 likes this.
    01-04-2018 10:47 AM
    Never thought I’d see this thread in a million years LOL.
    Haha yeah most don't know that I actually don't hate the other side on the fence .. but most assume due to my position over there ^_^.
    Tartarus, strikeIII and swarlos like this.
    01-04-2018 10:58 AM
    Hello all :P. I am Almeuit. Some of you I know ... and some of you I don't. I am the Mod Team Lead from iMore's sister site -- Android Central.

I am what you would call a Pixel / Android junkie. I am all in with Google and things of that nature. I have a Chromecast at home, 2x Chromecast Ultra, 2x Google Home Mini, Google Home, hopefully a Google Home Max one of these days, and I use a Pixel 2 XL as my daily driver. I have tried many Android phones (All Samsung ones, LG, some HTC, some Motorola, etc.) but I have found my home w/ the Pixel phones. As I have gotten older I value things like security updates which.. in the Android world... nothing beats the Pixel on that due to updates from Google.

Okay okay enough random nonsense about me. Basically I am in possession of an iPhone X from a good buddy of mine. He is lending it to me so I can give the iPhone a good try. I tried it in the past (iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPhone 6 Plus) but I figure Apple has revamped the whole thing so... why not give the iPhone X a try? .

I just got it all setup. All apps installed/logged in. Face ID is up and running and I am locked onto my Verizon LTE. I figure I will post here if I run into weird things / have questions but other then that... if you have any tips I am all ears! ^_^
    What's going on Almeuit. Good to see you here as well. I'm more active over at Android Central as you've probably seen me around there more. I switch back and forth quite often with Android as my Primary but just this past Monday I switched my primary sim into my X. This will by my second time running my X as my primary since it's release so feel free to reach out if you have any questions. I'm probably just as invested into Google as you are so I can probably assist with any questions.
    Almeuit likes this.
    01-04-2018 11:12 AM
    What's going on Almeuit. Good to see you here as well. I'm more active over at Android Central as you've probably seen me around there more. I switch back and forth quite often with Android as my Primary but just this past Monday I switched my primary sim into my X. This will by my second time running my X as my primary since it's release so feel free to reach out if you have any questions. I'm probably just as invested into Google as you are so I can probably assist with any questions.
    Yep I remember seeing you around .
    01-04-2018 04:12 PM
    Well so far is so good. Since the SMS issue is resolved I really see no issues with the phone. Screen / performance is great. I personally believe the Pixel 2 XL is snappier though -- but I believe that is just due to iPhones animations and not really a hardware or "lag" issue.

I will admit I do like the Face ID. Especially for my PW manager (Last Pass). I just tap it, it authenticates since I am already looking at it, and bam all my passwords. I could easily live on an iPhone but I know I won't simply because I like the Android ecosystem. With that said though I don't see any big issues or "omg I can't stand this" type of things.

On a side note I signed up for DirecTV NOW and prepaid 4 months... got a free Apple TV 4k on the way for the living room. :P.
    01-04-2018 04:17 PM
    Well so far is so good. Since the SMS issue is resolved I really see no issues with the phone. Screen / performance is great. I personally believe the Pixel 2 XL is snappier though -- but I believe that is just due to iPhones animations and not really a hardware or "lag" issue.

I will admit I do like the Face ID. Especially for my PW manager (Last Pass). I just tap it, it authenticates since I am already looking at it, and bam all my passwords. I could easily live on an iPhone but I know I won't simply because I like the Android ecosystem. With that said though I don't see any big issues or "omg I can't stand this" type of things.

On a side note I signed up for DirecTV NOW and prepaid 4 months... got a free Apple TV 4k on the way for the living room. :P.
    Let me know what you think of DirecTV now. I had it when it launched and it was so bad. I've heard it's improved and will get cloud DVR early this year. Once that happens I may try it out again. I'm using psvue now and love it. More channels on DirecTV now though
    01-04-2018 04:54 PM
    Let me know what you think of DirecTV now. I had it when it launched and it was so bad. I've heard it's improved and will get cloud DVR early this year. Once that happens I may try it out again. I'm using psvue now and love it. More channels on DirecTV now though
    Yeah I have the "real" DirecTV (canceling today or tomorrow)... the sad part is with DirecTV now I get more channels for less lol. My buddy has had it since the start and said it used to be horrible but it has gotten a LOT better. He said still not perfect but a lot better.

I should get the Apple TV in 2-3 weeks. For now I can use the Chromecast Ultras or the Fire TV stick.
    01-04-2018 04:58 PM
    Yeah I have the "real" DirecTV (canceling today or tomorrow)... the sad part is with DirecTV now I get more channels for less lol. My buddy has had it since the start and said it used to be horrible but it has gotten a LOT better. He said still not perfect but a lot better.

I should get the Apple TV in 2-3 weeks. For now I can use the Chromecast Ultras or the Fire TV stick.
    Yeah it's definitely not perfected yet. I won't switch till it is because psvue is so flawless. The savings per month cutting cords is wild. I now can afford my Netflix subscription, Amazon prime, and home security system since getting rid of satellite
    01-04-2018 05:01 PM
    Yeah it's definitely not perfected yet. I won't switch till it is because psvue is so flawless. The savings per month cutting cords is wild. I now can afford my Netflix subscription, Amazon prime, and home security system since getting rid of satellite
    Yep. I will keep the internet though from AT&T. It is fiber (1k up/down) w/ unlimited data.

I can't wait for the Apple TV to be honest. I used my buddies and liked it a lot. It will go in the living room and I can use the Fire Stick in my PC room.. then Chromecast elsewhere .
    01-04-2018 05:03 PM
127 1234 ...