How can i separate new iphone photos from old ones on X

Baz88

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site
I really hope someone can help me with this cause I’ve had no luck so far. So every time I get a new phone I add all the previous phones photos to the new phone in a new album. I create a new album because that album and those photos will never be touched again. I will view them and I may delete photos if I come across something I want deleted, but I will never add to them. I want this album and all the photos within that album completely separate to all the new photos i take on the new phone which in this case is the iPhone X.

Here’s my problem:
In 2012 I had an iphone 4s. In 2014 an iphone 5 and between 2015-2016 I had an iphone 6. In 2013 and 2017 I had an android and now in 2018 another iphone. On my mac in the photos app sit all the iphone photos from 2012-2016 . 2013 and 2017 android photos sit on the sd card. The problem is, when I sync my new iphone x to the mac, all the old photos for a period of 4 years sync to my new phone, which would be fine except they don’t sync to a new album, they sync to the current gallery, so every time I take a new photo and go into my gallery, it is mixed in with photos from up to 4 years ago. There are 10,000 photos so lets say I want to go half way, I have to scroll through 5000 photos. I want to separate all photos taken on the iphone x form every other photo prior to December 30 2017. I still want those photos on the phone, just not in the same place as the new ones. Here’s one example of an issue with this. Since I bought the X I have taken 1 selfie. Now iphone automatically creates a selfie album and really it should only include 1 photo in that album, but because photos form 2012, 14, 15 and 16 also also in the same gallery, the selfie album has 524 photos

If this was an android, I could plug in the phone to a pc, create a new folder in the DCIM folder and transfer all the old iphone photos plus the galaxy s7 photos from the SD card I took last year into that folder and they would be separate from new photos, but because iphone doesn’t work that way, I now have photos from 2 days ago sitting next to a photos I took 18 months ago and up to 4 years ago.

Simply put, I want to separate all new photos taken on the X from other photos. Ideally I would like to create albums titled: Iphone 4s,HTC, iphone 5, Iphone 6 and s7 and only view the photos taken on those phones from those albums and not add to those albums whereas now they all sit in the same gallery. I’d still like to keep those photo on the mac though if possible.

I was able to do this on the s7 but I’ve spent the past few days trying to figure out how to do it on an iphone so I hope you guys can help.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
there's prob ably a way, but I don't know it. Hopefully, someone who does will reply soon.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Aren’t new photos appearing the bottom right anyway?

And all those photos are sorted by date in Photos tab in the photos app.

Any new added photo to your iPhone photo gallery will appear in the bottom left to right, but bottom nevertheless.

Baz88

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site
They are but because i also have photos form 2 different android phones, it would be much easier if i had a specific album for each phone, than have to figure out what year i used which phone if i'm looking for a particular photo. It's just much cleaner and organised.

Side question: Because every photo taken, screenshoted or received all save in the 'camera roll' gallery, screenshots and whats app messages seem to have their own dedicated album now which is fantastic, so if i know i was sent a photo over whatsapp, i can just go into the whatsapp folder, however, camera photos do not. Can i create a separate album for only photos taken with the camera? At the moment the only way i can see camera photos are through the 'camera roll' album which contains...well....ALL photos i don't necessarily need to see including screenshots, videos, whatsapp photos etc.

krishnansasikumar

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
I too had the same concern since I have an Android as well.

In the Photos app, there is a tab named Albums. All pics are sorted in Albums over there. Photos is a single place to view all of them. If you would like to see them as Albums, use the tab.

The DCIM folder you see there is from my Note 8. When I sync the photos through iTunes, I already separated them into different folders, so it would be pulled as such

IMG_0442.JPG

Baz88

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site
Ok so regardless of how the old photos are transferred and organised in albums, they will always sit in the camera roll also.

Is there a way to automatically move camera photos from the camera roll to a separate album? As mentioned above, i have screenshot and whatsapp albums which automatically store photos they relate to, but photos taken with the camera are only stored in the camera roll unless i manually transfer them to a separate album, which is annoying cause i'd have to do that for each individual photo every time i take a new photo

Ric_D

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
In the Photos app on my Mac, I have set up smart albums for each of the devices that I have used to take photos -- 'Camera Model' is one of the filters available. Unfortunately, iOS Photos does not support smart albums if you have iCloud Photo Library turned on (hopefully that will change). I have read that turning off iCloud Photo Library and using iTunes to sync photos will bring over smart albums, but I have not tried that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2