Name the ONE thing you dislike about gestures...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
With regard to the iPhone X, name the ONE thing you dislike about gestures. For me, it’s the steps it take to close out apps. For example, with my iPhone 8, once I double tap on the home button, I can simply swipe up on all open apps to close them. With my gesture based iPhone X, I have to first swipe up from the bottom and then press on one of the screens to display the minus sign. Afterwards, I can then swipe up on each screen to close them out. That’s a step too many, in my opinion.

jhnnyblze2000

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Honestly what I dislike the most is the X has gotten me used to gestures lol. So when I go to use my iPad they don't work but I find myself trying them out of habit anyway. But I do agree with the closing apps. Gets kinda annoying.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I personally love gestures overall but if there’s one thing I dislike it’s that they’re software based. If something goes wrong from a software standpoint gestures are often unusable. A physical button, on the other hand, can override software issues.

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
The only gesture I don’t like is that I can no longer swipe up from the bottom to bring up the control center and instead have to swipe down from the top right. I guess that’s more of a complaint of the manner in which something has been implemented than in the gesture itself, but there ya go.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
May 31, 2014
Visit site
I dislike few things:

1) Steps to close the app. There shouldn’t be a gesture to swipe up apps if they don’t close unless you have the delete button. It creates false impression with the user and I fall for it many times!

2) Apple Pay gesture. I just find it hard to double press the side button as I always use my left hand and left pocket. It just makes the Apple Pay process way slower. Samsung has a best way to bring up Samsung Pay - swipe up from the bottom - but Apple cannot use that gesture but at least could have given some other easier way to launch Apple Pay.

3) Control Center - it’s just really hard to open control center now especially if you use your phone left handed. I just can’t reach the top right with my left hand.

All I want is for Apple to give an option to configure corners like Hot Corners in Mac! That way we users can select our operations we want specific to those corners and launch certain actions.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I really dislike is a lack of gesture controls. They are limited until a new update brings more functionality. This encompasses some of the other dislikes here as well. Apple could add multi gestures. Or even multi-finger gestures. A number of ways to overlap gestures for more functionality. That’s what I dislike most.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
With regard to the iPhone X, name the ONE thing you dislike about gestures. For me, it’s the steps it take to close out apps. For example, with my iPhone 8, once I double tap on the home button, I can simply swipe up on all open apps to close them. With my gesture based iPhone X, I have to first swipe up from the bottom and then press on one of the screens to display the minus sign. Afterwards, I can then swipe up on each screen to close them out. That’s a step too many, in my opinion.

I try to keep an open mind with things like this and I still can't figure out why you can't just start swiping up to close apps since multi-task has already been brought up instead of having to hold an app to bring up the "-" signs.

My instinct tells me that Apple would rather people stop getting used to closing their apps often since they don't recommend it.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I try to keep an open mind with things like this and I still can't figure out why you can't just start swiping up to close apps since multi-task has already been brought up instead of having to hold an app to bring up the "-" signs.
That is my primary gripe with the iPhone X.

My instinct tells me that Apple would rather people stop getting used to closing their apps often since they don't recommend it.
Hmmm, You may be right.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
definitely the additional steps for app-closing.

It's beyond my understanding that a feature that worked perfectly well and comfortably in older AND in IDENTICAL iOS versions on non-X-phones, was artificially made more laborious and therefore worsened.

To me, neither the absence of a home button, nor any other new or changed feature of the X explains why this decision was made.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Being an Blackberry OS10 user, I love gestures and now that Apple has adapted the concept, they have the resources and capital to take it to the next level.

dflyer

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
Being an Blackberry OS10 user, I love gestures and now that Apple has adapted the concept, they have the resources and capital to take it to the next level.

Bingo. My thoughts exactly as well.

For me it’s the same feelings as others. It’s the closing of apps, however as mentioned already, They don’t recommend closing them so I am trying not to. I don’t fully understand why but just going with it.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's beyond my understanding that a feature that worked perfectly well and comfortably in older AND in IDENTICAL iOS versions on non-X-phones, was artificially made more laborious and therefore worsened.

That pretty much sums it up...

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I don't find any problems with gestures. Been using gestures for years on my iMac. I enjoy gestures and think Apple will make them even better in the future.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Same issue here. The process to close out apps is absolutely atrocious. You can talk to me all day long about how there is no need to close out apps, but if you don’t then multitasking becomes impossible. Too many open apps. Closing them out though is a chore plan and simple. The extra step of long press is completely unnecessary. We should be able to get to the carousel and simply swipe away any apps we want to close, same as before.

Has anybody submitted this to Apple as feedback? I’d like to throw my voice in there as well. I think with enough pressure we can get them to change it. I don’t think one person likes the new closing method.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Has anybody submitted this to Apple as feedback? I’d like to throw my voice in there as well. I think with enough pressure we can get them to change it. I don’t think one person likes the new closing method.

I haven’t, but I will.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Same issue here. The process to close out apps is absolutely atrocious. You can talk to me all day long about how there is no need to close out apps, but if you don’t then multitasking becomes impossible. Too many open apps. Closing them out though is a chore plan and simple. The extra step of long press is completely unnecessary. We should be able to get to the carousel and simply swipe away any apps we want to close, same as before.

It is insane. Hopefully with feedback they’ll institute it again like they did on other devices with 3D Touch that they magically took away the ability to 3D Touch the edge of the screen to bring up multitasking. It’s back now.

Apparently one of Apple’s deciding factors of going with Face ID solo on the X without Touch ID under the screen is because it would have taken away 3D Touch altogether. So if you’re going to keep 3D Touch then keep a simple gesture like that on the X if 3D Touch is so special.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner