Yes sorry, I mistyped my thoughts!

What I am saying is to move to a Google phone for Google apps experience is not necessary in my opinion when they work just as well on iOS. I am talking about the functionality of the apps individually. If you mix in how they are handled through notifications then android is a better experience, but would not say one needs a Google pixel for that android experience with google.
    Ok got it! I can see that.
    12-21-2017 10:25 PM
    I guess this post is targeted at users who carry multiple phones, maybe? Not sure what an Android phone comparison/review does for an iOS user and in that case why it would need to be "either/or" type decision. I don't know. Maybe I'm missing something ..
    p3t3rPan likes this.
    12-21-2017 10:33 PM
    I guess this post is targeted at users who carry multiple phones, maybe? Not sure what an Android phone comparison/review does for an iOS user and in that case why it would need to be "either/or" type decision. I don't know. Maybe I'm missing something ..
    I guess that's exactly what the title of the thread says.
    DMP89145 and aximtreo like this.
    12-21-2017 10:37 PM
    Ha ha , what is a Pixel phone? Lol. ( I have never seen one)
    12-22-2017 03:27 AM
    For anyone considering between the iPhone X and the Pixel 2, please do your own research, ask pertinent questions, physically handle both devices, think about the way you’ll use the device on a daily basis after the excitement of having a new device has faded, and then select the device that will best suit “you”, even if it’s not what your friends think you should get.
    aximtreo, DMP89145 and kcox52692 like this.
    12-22-2017 04:27 AM
    For anyone considering between the iPhone X and the Pixel 2, please do your own research, ask pertinent questions, physically handle both devices, think about the way you’ll use the device on a daily basis after the excitement of having a new device has faded, and then select the device that will best suit “you”, even if it’s not what your friends think you should get.
    This. Exactly this, but don't over analyze it. Pretty much any phone out there can do what most people need it to do. You can make yourself crazy trying to choose.

Most people here are in the Apple ecosystem and that makes the choice a little easier. I am more in that ecosystem today than a year ago and I still find myself looking to android thinking I'm missing something. In reality, I can make any phone work for me, but I've built around my past iPhones and so has everyone around me. People can tell you differently, but that matters and factors into the choice big time.

Pick the phone that works best for you and your situation. It's really not a matter of how good a phone is. All of the flagship phones are good and also have a few weaknesses. Decide what's best for YOU.
    12-22-2017 07:39 AM
    Been an android guy myself but wanted to switch to ios (iphone x) and see how much it has changed since the iph5. Iam please with the X, i currently have the pixel xl 2 and its a great phone. The size and front speakers were a plus and of course the camera reviews is what inclined me to get it. I still like to see what the "competition" has to offer and so far there is nothing to hate on the X. The smaller size is something for me to get used too, but the screen on the X makes up for it. As with everything, there are pros and cons. I will end up keeping both and enjoy them both as they are intended for. Cant go wrong with either one.
    cwbcpa and MasterDarque like this.
    12-22-2017 04:34 PM
    I don't agree that you need a google device just to use Google apps. The integration in both iOS and android are pretty seamless. I came from android and not one Google app on iOS is integrated "as well" as it was on android. Now, to take this a step further, the Google apps with iOS notifications may be where the integration lacks a little. But to me it's not worth leaving the iOS ecosystem.
    I was not invested in iOS like I am with Google. But the integration between Apple and Google and a Google phone and Google is NOT the same. The Google phone, obviously, integrates so much better with Google than iOS does.
    12-26-2017 10:25 PM
    I was not invested in iOS like I am with Google. But the integration between Apple and Google and a Google phone and Google is NOT the same. The Google phone, obviously, integrates so much better with Google than iOS does.
    So how are you “invested” in google, and some examples of how a google phone integrates google apps better than iOS does? Just curious to hear.
    12-26-2017 10:27 PM
    So how are you “invested” in google, and some examples of how a google phone integrates google apps better than iOS does? Just curious to hear.
    I use Google services extensively at work and home. I tried a Pixel 2 XL and am currently using iPhone X. Biggest difference with google integration is with sign ins when setting up new apps. Way easier on the Pixel. Once the apps are set up, not so much difference in usage.
    12-27-2017 11:39 AM
    I use Google services extensively at work and home. I tried a Pixel 2 XL and am currently using iPhone X. Biggest difference with google integration is with sign ins when setting up new apps. Way easier on the Pixel. Once the apps are set up, not so much difference in usage.
    Thanks for your explanation. This is all what I already knew, which is nothing drastic I just wanted to see how people think it’s life changing! There are minor minor differences, not enough to say that a google pixel is needed for google integration.

In comparison, an iPhone is NEEDED for
    iMessage, FaceTime, HomeKit, etc.
    cwbcpa likes this.
    12-27-2017 11:45 AM
    Thanks for your explanation. This is all what I already knew, which is nothing drastic I just wanted to see how people think it’s life changing! There are minor minor differences, not enough to say that a google pixel is needed for google integration.

In comparison, an iPhone is NEEDED for
    iMessage, FaceTime, HomeKit, etc.
    This is exactly how I look at it. I can get google apps and services to work great on my iPhone. iMessage, FaceTime, etc..don’t work on an android phone.

I think google apps are great on iOS. In fact, there have been times over the last year that I really felt the iOS version of a Google app was the superior version. Sounds crazy but it’s true. I usually have one of the recent Android phones around to compare and I really don’t feel like I miss anything with google apps when I’m on an iPhone.
    12-27-2017 11:53 AM
    I tried the Pixel 2 XL for 2 weeks and sent it back because my trial period was over with the thought that I would try the X for a couple of weeks and reorder the Pixel if I decided I liked it better. There were some things I was really starting to like with the Pixel 2 XL. I liked how LastPass and Google took care of my sign ins throughout apps. It seems like a little thing, but I really liked Google's native weather app. I liked the widgets and I liked being able to find apps to do things like send scheduled texts. The camera was awesome as well, better than the X's which I think tends to blowout highlights.

But after using the X for a few days I won't be going back. Everything is just so smooth and easy. At first I wasn't sure about face ID, but after using it a bit I love it. Everyone raves about Android's notifications but iOS's work fine for me. Voicemail on the Pixel was a pain. Little touches like the camera and the flashlight on the lock screen of the X really improve usability. You may not be able to customize iOS as much, but it's already setup the way you want it.
    12-27-2017 12:05 PM
    This is exactly how I look at it. I can get google apps and services to work great on my iPhone. iMessage, FaceTime, etc..don’t work on an android phone.

I think google apps are great on iOS. In fact, there have been times over the last year that I really felt the iOS version of a Google app was the superior version. Sounds crazy but it’s true. I usually have one of the recent Android phones around to compare and I really don’t feel like I miss anything with google apps when I’m on an iPhone.
    Can’t agree with you more. Now you can use any google app on an iPhone and it is fully functional. That’s why I get a little annoyed when someone says that not only do you need an android device but now it has to be a google made android device to make more sense. Can use any phone for google ecosystem now a days

I’m not sure if I have found any pros to google apps on iOS over android. There are very minor things mostly just notification wise with how google apps are handled slightly better on android, just notification wise though...not functionality.
    cwbcpa likes this.
    12-27-2017 12:09 PM
    Can’t agree with you more. Now you can use any google app on an iPhone and it is fully functional. That’s why I get a little annoyed when someone says that not only do you need an android device but now it has to be a google made android device to make more sense. Can use any phone for google ecosystem now a days

I’m not sure if I have found any pros to google apps on iOS over android. There are very minor things mostly just notification wise with how google apps are handled slightly better on android, just notification wise though...not functionality.
    Agreed. I don’t know that the iOS version was functionally any better, but I feel like they look better. Of course that’s the case with most apps on iOS vs android.
    12-27-2017 12:22 PM
    I tried the Pixel 2 XL for 2 weeks and sent it back because my trial period was over with the thought that I would try the X for a couple of weeks and reorder the Pixel if I decided I liked it better. There were some things I was really starting to like with the Pixel 2 XL. I liked how LastPass and Google took care of my sign ins throughout apps. It seems like a little thing, but I really liked Google's native weather app. I liked the widgets and I liked being able to find apps to do things like send scheduled texts. The camera was awesome as well, better than the X's which I think tends to blowout highlights.

But after using the X for a few days I won't be going back. Everything is just so smooth and easy. At first I wasn't sure about face ID, but after using it a bit I love it. Everyone raves about Android's notifications but iOS's work fine for me. Voicemail on the Pixel was a pain. Little touches like the camera and the flashlight on the lock screen of the X really improve usability. You may not be able to customize iOS as much, but it's already setup the way you want it.
    I did the same exact thing you did, but I had the X first and ventured to the pixel 2XL. Same reasons I went back to iOS. I wasn’t willing to give up iMessage,FaceTime and HomeKit for android customization,better notification handling, and better camera

Those things on iOS just outweighed the pros of the pixel.
    12-27-2017 12:33 PM
    Agreed. I don’t know that the iOS version was functionally any better, but I feel like they look better. Of course that’s the case with most apps on iOS vs android.
    Gmail on Android let's you view inboxes from multiple accounts at once, can't do that on iOS. However, they seem pretty similar otherwise. Calendar, Drive, Keep, Translate, Maps, Chrome all work great on iOS.

One downside is that you can't specify Chrome and Google Maps as default apps on iOS.

If you use CarPlay, you're stuck with Apple Maps.
    12-27-2017 12:35 PM
    Auto sign in for all Google apps; automatic photo backup to Google Drive, unlimited photos and video storage on Google Drive if photos taken with Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL. Can't get any of that on iPhone.
    12-27-2017 07:41 PM
    I wasn’t willing to give up iMessage,FaceTime and HomeKit for android customization,better notification handling, and better camera
    Google Duo is just as good of a replacement for FaceTime. iMessage....meh. If that's your thing, cool. But it's not necessary for me. I never used HomeKit so that's also a not an issue for me.
    12-27-2017 07:44 PM
    Google Duo is just as good of a replacement for FaceTime. iMessage....meh. If that's your thing, cool. But it's not necessary for me. I never used HomeKit so that's also a not an issue for me.
    “iMessage....meh. If that’s your thing, cool?”

Odd statement. How do you send HD videos to people? I guess that’s why iMessage is “my thing” and every other iPhone users thing. I have auto backup of all my pictures to google photos on iPhone, that’s pretty perfect for me.

Try getting a family of FaceTime users to download google duo and actually use it.
    12-27-2017 07:49 PM
    Well, for the sake of discussion, I do disagree a bit regarding no real difference. I have a Pixel 2 and an iPad Pro 10.5. I use a lot of voice commands, so assistants are important to me. When I ask Siri to open my Google Calendar and schedule an appointment, it defaults to Apple's Calendar which is what I don't want. I have no desire to manage two calendars. Obviously, I don't have this issue on the Pixel 2.

There's some misinformation throughout this thread, but considering that my opinion of this type of thread on an iOS forum is that it's out of place and a little grandstanding, I'll reserve a more in depth post another time.

No, you don't have to have an Android phone to run certain Google apps. Is the UX different.. yup. Is the Pixel the natural compliment to Google ecosystem.. absolutely!
    Retinella likes this.
    12-27-2017 09:37 PM
    “iMessage....meh. If that’s your thing, cool?”

Odd statement. How do you send HD videos to people? I guess that’s why iMessage is “my thing” and every other iPhone users thing. I have auto backup of all my pictures to google photos on iPhone, that’s pretty perfect for me.

Try getting a family of FaceTime users to download google duo and actually use it.
    To send videos and pics, I use WhatsApp. That works across platforms thereby taking away the necessity of every buying into the Apple ecosystem.

And been a person who changes phones quite often, WhatsApp is very convenient.
    12-27-2017 10:21 PM
    To send videos and pics, I use WhatsApp. That works across platforms thereby taking away the necessity of every buying into the Apple ecosystem.

And been a person who changes phones quite often, WhatsApp is very convenient.
    Yes which means you need to use a separate app and make the receiver use that app as well. Where is the convenience in that? I’ve used an android device before and I’ve used WhatsApp. I was asking a rhetorical question that I already knew the answer to but wanted to make a point because iMessage is just “meh.” It’s hands down the best messaging app ever created.
    12-27-2017 10:25 PM
    Yes which means you need to use a separate app and make the receiver use that app as well. Where is the convenience in that? I’ve used an android device before and I’ve used WhatsApp. I was asking a rhetorical question that I already knew the answer to but wanted to make a point because iMessage is just “meh.” It’s hands down the best messaging app ever created.
    If every last person in your family and friends had an iPhone or iPad then your logic applies. There's way more WhatsApp users globally and chances are you seldom have to convince someone to install or download the app.
    12-28-2017 12:39 AM
    The fact that iMessage doesn’t compress media like other chat apps (I’m looking at you, WhatsApp) is what I really like most with iMessage. Most people don’t realize this.
    12-28-2017 02:36 AM
65 123