Here are a few sample videos I took today in 4k @ 30 FPS and 4k at 60 FPS.

Grainy, pixelated, poor quality.

Zoom in on ANY part of my video and it's just a blurred mess.

I see iPhone X videos on YouTube that are damn near Hollywood quality.

What could be wrong?

Video 1:

Video 2:
    12-19-2017 09:21 PM
    Maybe it's poor lighting or too many screaming kids.
    MB64 likes this.
    12-20-2017 09:47 AM
    That’s a bit off...
    I’m not actually sure what’s causing the videos to be like that.
    aximtreo likes this.
    12-20-2017 10:00 AM
    I just videoed a few scenes from a wedding with my X and it is crystal clear. There was good lighting in the room which helped tremendously, and even mirroring it to my 65”TV it is still sharp.
    aximtreo likes this.
    12-20-2017 07:05 PM
    I’m gonna say it’s the lighting. The iPhone is trying to compensate for the lighting which is making it grainy.
    12-20-2017 07:13 PM
    Sorry, but I'm not even going to watch your videos until they are taken in the correct format. YOU are breaking the cardinal rule of shooting video by holding the phone VERTICAL! Please go back and hold the phone correctly, that is bottom side to the right and try again...

The X is capable of some of the best capture on a mobile device IF you are willing to practice and learn its strengths and weaknesses.
    popkurn611 likes this.
    12-21-2017 08:31 AM
    Sorry, but I'm not even going to watch your videos until they are taken in the correct format. YOU are breaking the cardinal rule of shooting video by holding the phone VERTICAL! Please go back and hold the phone correctly, that is bottom side to the right and try again...

The X is capable of some of the best capture on a mobile device IF you are willing to practice and learn its strengths and weaknesses.
    Maybe you could make a forum post on how to properly shoot photos and videos on the iPhone. It would be extremely helpful to all us amateurs who do not know how to hold a camera properly.
    12-21-2017 09:14 AM
    If you live close to an Apple store you might want to think about looking into it with one of their workshops that can be found on Apple website under “Today At Apple”; they have a series of different classes including photography and video. I’ve taken a couple of them before and they really awesome. In fact, I’m re-taking one today just to familiarize myself with the 8 plus camera. They are free and you can take them as often you want.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    12-21-2017 09:51 AM
    I don't know if you're kidding or not but this doesn't need explanation!

VVS = Vertical Video Syndrome.

12-21-2017 10:40 AM
    I don't know if you're kidding or not but this doesn't need explanation!

VVS = Vertical Video Syndrome.

I’ve noticed it before, but my focus in life has always been in electrical engineering and woodworking, I know next to nothing about videography or photography. I just open my camera app and hit the button.
    12-21-2017 01:27 PM
    And see the problem lies in the simplicity of using the devices.
    The camera's firmware should take video in the proper perspective regardless of the device's orientation.

In such case, held vertically, the video fills the frame horizontally leaving large spaces above and below. That's the way it should be, period.

The only exception, perhaps would be the front camera. I get this, people doing facetime, selfies, etc. Fine there.
    sekelani likes this.
    12-21-2017 02:26 PM