Be honest: how long did it take you to get used to it?

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
The no home button, the hand gestures etc.
Because I tried playing with a X at the Apple store and it was mind boggling.
I ask because even though my iPhone 7 Plus « appeared » to have survived its trip through the soak and spin cycle, I can see that it doesn’t work quite right anymore and it’s full of hiccups so I might need to upgrade afterall.

jhnnyblze2000

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
To be perfectly honest a day at most. The only thing I still find myself messing up is when I go to close apps. I forget about the second step of long pressing till the red circle is there to start swiping away. Other than that it became second nature really quick.

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
Took me literally an hour or two which was surprising! I come from an S8 though not an iphone so i guess i was used to not having a home button

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
No time. I was used to it right away. I try to use apps that have gestures. I love them. I did tap the bottom of the screen a couple times and try to bring up control center from the bottom a couple times. But other than that in the first couple days, it was no adjustment for me personally.

mattguy10

Nov 1, 2017
Visit site
Less than a day. When I try to use an iPad or iPhone with a home button now, I always attempt all the gestures I do with the X before I realize I must use the home button for some things on those devices.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Maybe an hour or two. I find the gestures, aside from swiping down for control center, to be very natural.

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Not too long, maybe a couple of days. Everything seems normal and intuitive except for bringing down the control center and Notification Center. I find myself using gestures on my iPad and of course they don’t work. Oops

TheLegoJoker

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I was very comfortable with it by the end of the first day. I only occasionally reach for the home button and that’s if I’m busy and quickly responding to a text. Other than that, the transition was seamless.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Not very long at all for me. Minutes actually, but I had only used iOS for about a month before I got it so I wasn't entrenched in the 'old way' of doing things.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I ask because even though my iPhone 7 Plus « appeared » to have survived its trip through the soak and spin cycle, I can see that it doesn’t work quite right anymore and it’s full of hiccups so I might need to upgrade afterall.

It took no time at all to get used to the gestures, but heck, it took a few days to break the habit of picking up my iPhone and instinctively pressing the screen where the home button typically is.

Last edited:

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I honestly got used to not having a home button within a few hours. The gestures just seemed so natural and they made sense. Face ID is what took the most time to get used to for me. Took me at least a week or so to truly get used to it. The lack of the home button was super simple.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR