Iphone X Bricked - Just Requires Hard Reset/Forced Restart

Peter Rokkos

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
OK - here is a new one...

Woke up last week to a dead iPhone X. No response, nothing. Thought maybe it didn't sit on wireless charger correctly so plugged into PC, then wall charger for an hour each. Nothing.

Got an appointment at Genius Bar and 3 hours later, the guy helpfully hard reboots it immediately. Says this happens sometimes with iPhone X. You need to very quickly hit the volume up, volume down and then hold the power button down. He did it in seconds. Said that the X is a very powerful device that needs to be hard reset each week or it crashes like this and requires it. I thought that was crazy particularly since if you google hard reset iphone X, you see a number of articles on how to do it but no mention of a bricked phone needing it.

Last night, same thing happened. Pulled it out of my pocket, nothing. Hadn't been charging this time. Tried everything for a while including hard reset. Waited an hour while contemplating another Genius Bar visit and finally got a response doing hard reset commands.

It seems like there is some magic to the timing. Very quick up and down volume, then it took 12 seconds (mental counting) to see the apple logo and reset.

So some advice as I noticed another post about bricked iPhone X being returned, give this a shot.

Anyone else had this happen?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hard resetting a frozen iOS device is quite common. I’ve owned dozens of iOS devices over many years and have made it a common practice to perform a reset at least every once in a while.
If your device is acting up go ahead and do a hard reset. It can’t hurt anything. No need to wait an hour or visit an Apple Store unless resetting doesn’t resolve your issue.
There’s quite a difference between a bricked device and one that is simply frozen. A bricked device won’t be fixed by a hard reset. A frozen device is a different story.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I suggest that you go to Apple store and tell them that it happens multiple times and you had to do a hard reset to fix it. That’s not a normal phone behavior if it keeps freezing.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Thus has never happened to me on my X. In fact i don’t remember it happening to any of my iPhones.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I should have been more clear in my first response. If you’re constantly having to reset your iPhone because it’s frozen there’s likely an issue, whether it be software or hardware related. A frozen device every once in a while that requires a reset isn’t unheard of though.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My 6s Plus freezes up occasionally when I tilt it forward some. Not sure why, but pressing the side power button to turn it off, then open as usual, and it's ok.

Peter Rokkos

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Not sure if I'm using freeze and brick the same way as some of you. By freeze, I mean when the screen locks up in an action. But the screen is still on. By brick I mean my phone is off, dead, non responsive at all. Appears to be not working at all. No response when plugged into power cable or PC.

My phone became unresponsive completely, what I call bricked. Genius bar said just hard reset it. It worked. Happened again. Again, hard reset worked.

I'm hoping its not a serious problem but have a feeling it may be.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if I'm using freeze and brick the same way as some of you. By freeze, I mean when the screen locks up in an action. But the screen is still on. By brick I mean my phone is off, dead, non responsive at all. Appears to be not working at all. No response when plugged into power cable or PC.

My phone became unresponsive completely, what I call bricked. Genius bar said just hard reset it. It worked. Happened again. Again, hard reset worked.

I'm hoping its not a serious problem but have a feeling it may be.

Even that doesn't mean it's bricked. My 6s Plus did that before. I just kept it plugged in a long time and it eventually started up with a hard reset.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Multiple times so early in ownership — I would return it for a new one.

Agree. It shouldn’t be happening so often. Also, brick isn’t the right term. Brick would essentially mean the phone is unrecoverable .... ie, a paperweight.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711