Galaxy S8+ to iPhone X

Pulsar_01

Dec 10, 2017
Visit site
Hello community,
I'm thinking to switch from Galaxy S8+ to iPhone X due to following reasons :
- after 5 months of usage, visible burn-in in status bar icons
- can't get good battery life, almost never made me through the day
- software experience has been mixed bag, some days it's working perfect, other days lags all around. I don't know what is causing this behaviour as I performed factory reset and don't have much apps installed
- unlocking the phone is as well something to desire, using FP 7/10 times smudges the camera, using Iris scanner I need to put the phone to exact angle.

Last galaxy what I was using was Note 4 and sold it exactly for same laggy software experience, feature wise was a great phone. Then I used OnePlus devices until I got S8+.

I always had iPad and MacBook Pro from 2014 so I generally know what to expect from iPhone. I don't know why I refused to use iOS as my phone during all these years. Maybe fear from being locked up into Apple ecosystem.

I'm having real doubts these days, or to Pixel 2 XL or iPhone X. On iOS I love the apps and design of OS, from other side I love to stick my phone into PC and use it as thumb drive.

Ah, first world problems these days 😀.
Anyone has maybe those 2 devices to say something what they like and don't?

Note 8 was a option but with these software experiences from S8+ I think that will be the same, maybe those 2GB extra RAM can do some difference and Note 8 has upgraded UX to newer version. But as time passes the Galaxy phones become more and more laggy.

TheLegoJoker

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I had the Note 8 after years of iPhone use and really liked the phone and the features but I missed the iOS operating system so I sold the Note and got the iPhone X. No regrets here. Just one man’s opinion.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I actually just sold my S8+. The hardware on it is really nice, and the camera is great, but the software got to be too much of a hassle. I wouldn't call what I had lag per se, but just stuttery animation, dropped frame rates, and the occasional jank when exiting apps.

I have the X now and I love it so far. The display is great! It's not quite as vibrant as the S8+, but causes less strain on my eyes. Another note on the display differences. I notice warm tones to really pop on the X whereas my S8+ makes cooler tones pop. Blues look deeper on the S8+, but reds, oranges, and yellows have more definition on the X.

The camera is a tossup honestly. Zooming in on photos doesn't look as good as on the S8+, but skin tones look so much more natural on the X. It really just depends on your priority. True to life (X) or slightly exaggerated colors (S8+).

I mostly had gotten used to the FPS on the S8+, but I'm so much happier with FaceID.

I find battery life fairly similar between the two. I never have a problem making through the day on either. One thing I've noticed on how Android and iOS handles power management; iOS gives much better standby time than Android in general. On the other hand while I'm actively using the phone Android seems to do slightly better with battery. I prefer much better standby than the smaller difference active use makes. YMMV.

I use both Android and iOS pretty regularly, but always come back to iOS because 2 main reasons. I'm a Mac user as well, and the integration between my MBP, AppleTV, and iPhone can't be beat. Also because I love watchOS, but dislike Android Wear and Samsung's Gear devices.

I've rambled on enough, but if you have anymore questions, or if I can be of any more help, just ask!

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
I have switched from an S8 and i cant say the iphone x is better as such. My opinion is that they are equally as good as one another in most aspects. The user experience is what really sets them apart and after years with android/samsung. Iam enjoying something different in the iphone x! I switched from android to the iphone 6 before and hated the iphone 6 but this time around iam happy to stick with the iphone x and sell my S8 and that says alot because i love android. I do miss certain things but none of them are a huge deal really!

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
I agree with MSM too about the camera. The S8 camera arguably edges it but thats subjective. I found the Iphone looks better during video playback everything looked more true to life where it looked too artificial on the S8 but lots of people do like that look i guess. The S8 is a tad bit sharper and this is noticeable when you zoom in which is funny because for some reason i thought the iphone was supposed to have superior zooming capabilities because of its dual camera. Both cameras are extremely good though! I personally would give the edge to the S8 for having more options/settings and being a tad sharper!

tr1ad

Trusted Member
Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I prefer the S8+ just for the camera and battery life... Much better definition when zooming in on photos ... And the battery lasts way longer on the S8+.

I'm just not a fan of the compression ratio on iPhone photos ... That watercoloured grainy effect

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
I prefer the S8+ just for the camera and battery life... Much better definition when zooming in on photos ... And the battery lasts way longer on the S8+.

I'm just not a fan of the compression ratio on iPhone photos ... That watercoloured grainy effect

I couldn't argue with that. I don't think there is much between the camera's at all until you zoom in either during a shot or after a shot has been captured! The difference is not night and day but its just awful on the iphone compared to acceptable on the S8. Battery life for me is good and its on par with my S8. Hard to say if its actually better/lasts longer but its definitely close/there about's

Iam happy with the iphone x over all. Lots to love about it. If it had an led notification indicator and customisation options then it would be perfect

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I think you’ll be happy with the X.
I’m not saying that it’s perfect and you won’t experience any issues with it. But I believe it will minimize the problems you are experiencing with the S8+

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711