Dead Launch Day iPhone X

circlez

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone had their iPhone X bite the dust on them already?

I had a fluke thing happen.

256gb GSM only model. I plug it in to charge overnight one night. I wake up the next morning and the phone was a brick. It wouldn’t power on, respond to a force reboot, or recognize that it was being plugged into a Mac. It was totally dead. I got it launch day and it barely lasted a month and it just stopped working completely - and mind you I didn’t break or crack it.

Fortunately I had AppleCare+ and they express shipped me a new one. I had it the next day. But it just bothers me a $1149 phone simply quit working after a month.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
When you make millions upon millions of something there are bound to be a few bad ones, even at $1,149. Glad you got it worked out!

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I've had it happen with cars. I've been a Honda person for years. In my almost 50 years I've bought two that were lemons from the factory but I was able to get them exchanged. Like Rob said above, a few out of a million might skip the qc process.

TheLegoJoker

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
As mentioned above, it’s bound to happen here and there. It’s a byproduct of mass production. While I understand your frustration (I would be frustrated too) I wouldn’t be too aggravated with Apple overall. Now, if they start dropping off left and right, then it’s definitely a concern.
Like you, I also got Apple Care with my phone just in case. Glad it all got straightened out and hopefully you’re problem free with the replacement device.

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
I've had it happen with cars. I've been a Honda person for years. In my almost 50 years I've bought two that were lemons from the factory but I was able to get them exchanged. Like Rob said above, a few out of a million might skip the qc process.

This.

My original Xbox had disc reading issues from day one back in 2000 but I returned it for a new one that worked.

Also, Honda eh? Love my Honda’s too! Well, now it’s an Acura TSX but same deal. VTEC is VTEC.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
This.

My original Xbox had disc reading issues from day one back in 2000 but I returned it for a new one that worked.

Also, Honda eh? Love my Honda’s too! Well, now it’s an Acura TSX but same deal. VTEC is VTEC.

I've been bouncing back and forth between CRV and Accord. Currently have 2012 Accord EX and 2013 CRX EXL. Giving Acura a try on my next car.

Ok, sorry for hijacking the thread.

krishnansasikumar

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
Issues happen specially with electronic components. All that matters is how Apple dealt with it. And I think they did a great job there.

That's one thing that's unique to Apple in the US. Others don't do replacements so fast.

That's one of the main reasons why I moved from Note 8 to iphone

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Not a major issue, I have been in the manufacturing sector my entire life and even with today’s high tech automation, your still going to have a few defective units, just part of the process.

Peter Rokkos

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Have you shipped it back yet? Possibly not since its Sunday here - try this.

I had the exact same thing happen. Woke up in the AM to a brick. Got an appointment at Genius Bar that afternoon after trying everything.

At Genius Bar, the guy fixed it in 30 seconds. Did a hard reset which means very very quickly pressing volume up, then volume down, then holding down power button for about 10 seconds.

Will post a new thread on this because it happened again to me but give it a try.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
FTR Apple would have processed a return even had you NOT had Apple Care, all phones come with the first year of Apple Care for free, you can just buy extra, if you want, and with Apple Care it's a good idea. But in this case they would have replaced the phone no matter what, under your stated circumstance. :)

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
This.

Don't even get me started on the 360's Red Ring of Death. Microsoft would always want you to send it in for repair. Like hell I'm going to send in something thats just a few days/weeks old, fortunately Costco did the right thing and took back about 3 defective units until I got a working unit.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711