Am I being paranoid?

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I've been to the stores at least a dozen times to play with the X and I really like the phone but there's something keeping me from buying it. To get right to the point I believe it's the fact that the phone is always watching.

I know most all smart phones have front facing cameras and can be hacked by the skilled hacker or big brother. The X and all phones with facial recognition the camera is always scanning just a scary thought. Even though I know Apple prides itself on security and privacy it still gives me the willy's.

Your thoughts?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I feel like you’re being a bit paranoid. iPhone X is not really “always watching”. It turns on the front cameras when it’s at a point where it needs to detect your face. Your face data is stored securely on your device, not transmitted over the internet.
I’d honestly be way more paranoid that it’s always listening, especially with Hey Siri. Furthermore, Siri actually Ping’s Apple’s servers when we make inquiries, unlike Touch ID and Face ID.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been to the stores at least a dozen times to play with the X and I really like the phone but there's something keeping me from buying it. To get right to the point I believe it's the fact that the phone is always watching.

I know most all smart phones have front facing cameras and can be hacked by the skilled hacker or big brother. The X and all phones with facial recognition the camera is always scanning just a scary thought. Even though I know Apple prides itself on security and privacy it still gives me the willy's.

Your thoughts?

To answer the thread question, YES, you’re being paranoid....BIG TIME!, in my opinion. If the phone was ‘always scanning’, are there not steps to take to prevent it? Smart Cover, tape, turn the phone sideways, etc.? Anyway, if it indeed give you “the willy’s” then be all means, stay away from the device.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Put a piece of tape over it if you are that worried. ;)

I have a friend who does that. Funny thing about that is that he only touches the thing for 2-3 hours a week. For the rest of it, the camera is only facing the ceiling. I wonder what’s so special about the ceiling that he wants to protect it

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I don’t think you have anything to worry about. It’s not always on. It only activated to unlock your device. You could always turn off faceid.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I feel like you’re being a bit paranoid. iPhone X is not really “always watching”. It turns on the front cameras when it’s at a point where it needs to detect your face. Your face data is stored securely on your device, not transmitted over the internet.
I’d honestly be way more paranoid that it’s always listening, especially with Hey Siri. Furthermore, Siri actually Ping’s Apple’s servers when we make inquiries, unlike Touch ID and Face ID.

I do know the phone's today are always listening.

Believe me though I'm not the conspiracy theorist type or anything like that and I don't do anything that I have to worry about anyways.

It's just that I'm riding in my car or it sitting on my desk and I'm looking at my phone, in it's cradle and I'm thinking is it looking at me too. That's what brings me to the face id camera thought .

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I don’t think you have anything to worry about. It’s not always on. It only activated to unlock your device. You could always turn off faceid.

You are most likely right and the phobia will be short lived.

Does face id work like raise to wake?

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Does face id work like raise to wake?

I’m not sure I fully understand your question as Face ID and raise to wake are two completely different things. I’ll say this though: If you raise to wake your device (or you tap the display to wake the screen) and your phone is locked, Face ID will immediately try to find your face. If your phone is unlocked then Face ID will only activate when iOS or an app prompts for it.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I do know the phone's today are always listening.

Believe me though I'm not the conspiracy theorist type or anything like that and I don't do anything that I have to worry about anyways.

It's just that I'm riding in my car or it sitting on my desk and I'm looking at my phone, in it's cradle and I'm thinking is it looking at me too. That's what brings me to the face id camera thought .

I think this is more in your head than a real concern.

rodeTrip

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
what are you even worried about? the government watching you? im pretty sure you are already being watched with or without the iphone x hehe ;)

Cowy123

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
I think the better question is, what you do when the phone is always listening to you. Especially with the 'Hey Siri' and stuff, pretty scary if you ask me.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I believe you have nothing to worry about. Apple prides itself on its security. If you're doing nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about. Big brother would rather catch the big fish than us little minnows. My life is not interesting enough to attract attention. If big brother found my life interesting I'd hate to think what they consider boring.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I believe it's the fact that the phone is always watching.
Your thoughts?
Yes because Apple has nothing better to do than look at video of a 100 million people locking and unlocking their phones a 1,000 times a day 24/7, and for what useful information if it's even possible?... :rolleyes:

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
The depth camera only awakens itself when the screen turns on. It's not really always searching for a face. You have to push the side button, tap the screen, or raise to wake for the depth camera to turn on.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2