Can i blacklist numbers?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Sure you can. Simply create a contact named "No Caller ID", "Private" or "Unknown". Once created, add those contacts to your block list.

You're part right. You have to place the name "Private" in the phone number area. It's what I did. Actually afraid to block though. My Doctor might call from his private phone.
e9eca00119fde60c92a0104ed8ad7de9.jpg

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Have you tested to see does it actually work? This is genius if it does haha

Give it a whirl. I wouldn't hurt. If it doesn't work then I stand corrected. But I do know at one point and time, this certainly did accomplish what you're looking to do.

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks guys! Ill test this out when phone arrives! Really nervous about switching from Android but looking forward to it. Just hope i don't run into any bugs as the new ios update seems to be getting alot of criticism

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Give it a whirl. I wouldn't hurt. If it doesn't work then I stand corrected. But I do know at one point and time, this certainly did accomplish what you're looking to do.

Just tried. Didn’t work but since you’ve got to copy and paste the words into the number field it seems like more of a work around rather than by design so I may have done it wrong.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys! Ill test this out when phone arrives! Really nervous about switching from Android but looking forward to it. Just hope i don't run into any bugs as the new ios update seems to be getting alot of criticism

Sure you’ll enjoy it. Like everything they have faults but coming from Android a few years ago I don’t miss it.

As a matter of interest, why do you want to block all private/ no caller id numbers?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I have my critiques of the iPhone X but overall I love the device. And iOS 11 hasn't really given me any issues. Overall, I think you'll love the device. Just try not to spend time comparing checkboxes on Android vs. iOS. Just embrace your new phone as a new phone. Not a competing one. I think you'll find it does everything you need it to do just fine.

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
In my opinion it shouldn't work. I mean the number that called you has been hidden hence why it shows as private / no caller i.d so there is nothing to block! On android you have the option to block 'unknown callers' meaning that if the phone cannot identify a phone number then it will auto reject the call so a person calling you will be unable to get through to you unless they enable there number to be seen rather then hide it! Its an over looked and important feature if you ask me! Rarely will most people need to use it but its dead handy in putting a stop to harassment / nuisance phone calls

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion it shouldn't work. I mean the number that called you has been hidden hence why it shows as private / no caller i.d so there is nothing to block! On android you have the option to block 'unknown callers' meaning that if the phone cannot identify a phone number then it will auto reject the call so a person calling you will be unable to get through to you unless they enable there number to be seen rather then hide it! Its an over looked and important feature if you ask me! Rarely will most people need to use it but its dead handy in putting a stop to harassment / nuisance phone calls

Yeah I’m surprised that Apple don’t do it.

As Sherry_B states way up there ^^^ you can always use do not disturb and only allow contacts to call you

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
Yeah I’m surprised that Apple don’t do it.

As Sherry_B states way up there ^^^ you can always use do not disturb and only allow contacts to call you

Unfortunately that is not a solution for me! I often get private calls from companys wanting to conduct surveys or sometimes it might just be a mate playing a prank or whatever and to put a stop to it all by blocking it is great! I actually believe no network should allow a call to go through if a phone number is being hidden! It should be mandatory that everyone's number must be visible

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I actually believe no network should allow a call to go through if a phone number is being hidden! It should be mandatory that everyone's number must be visible

If that were to happen, I would not be able to receive calls from my victims advocate or from the prosecuting attorney's office. Their numbers should always be hidden to protect the person they're calling. I believe this is one of the many reasons why cell providers do not automatically block hidden or private numbers.

xanadome

May 6, 2013
Visit site
1. Call blocking apps, like in Google Play, need extension for developers that Apple is not currently supplying.

2. A true call blocker actually "rejects" calls (pickup & hangup etc) from the blacklisted numbers, and does not even allow callers to leave a message.

3. Apple's is also a call blocker but it simply directs calls from blocked numbers to voice mail, although it won't ring and you won't realize that callers actually left voicemails until you check it.

4. The current approach by Apple for call blocking cannot block "unknown" or "private" callers etc.

5. 3rd party apps like Hiya and Truecaller etc have huge lists/data base of spam callers (millions?) and those apps help screening unwanted callers to some extent, but it's almost useless IMO.

6. I used to jailbreak and used an app called iBlacklist, which is a true call blocker, like those you find in Android world.

7. Some carriers offer call blocking service at cost to block private or unknown numbers etc.

8. But in the end, current approach by Apple is good enough, and I am no longer obsessed with call blocking.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately that is not a solution for me! I often get private calls from companys wanting to conduct surveys or sometimes it might just be a mate playing a prank or whatever and to put a stop to it all by blocking it is great! I actually believe no network should allow a call to go through if a phone number is being hidden! It should be mandatory that everyone's number must be visible

Doctors sometimes call patients from their private phone, but don't want patients to have their number. There's many other reasons. I actually don't get many calls like that. Most irritating for me are the spam and scam calls, many of which leave a number to block.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Since we're on the subject. I soooo wish Apple would implement in iOS an advanced Spam Reporting & Blocking feature where all iPhone users can flag & report spam or undesired phone calls. It would save a lot Googling phone numbers trying figure out if they're legit or not ...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73