Can i blacklist numbers?

Blaalad12

Nov 18, 2017
Visit site
Quick question. Is it possible to blacklist numbers on ios? On my android i can block certain numbers and even block calls from private numbers! Can this be done on ios? There is currently a scam in which a foreign number rings your phone and if you ring back they take your credit (no idea how it works) but often when these numbers call me i can just blacklist them immediately so they can never call me again.

Any way of doing this on ios? Thanks

rodeTrip

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Yes just go to the phone app, and click the blue "i" next to the number you want to block then all the way to the bottom theres your "Block this Caller"! gotta love the iphone block feature!

and to view all the phone numbers youve blocked, just go to settings>messages>blocked!!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If it says "No Caller ID", "Private", or "Unknown", you can't block it. Only if it shows a number can you block it.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Is there?

I thought they were synonymous

They are two different things. A blacklist is a list that is typically shared within a community or group. An example would be my home phone service provider. If a spammer calls me I have the ability to add their number to a blacklist. That blacklist is shared among other clients using the service. If I add a number to that blacklist, others using that list will not get calls from that number.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
That’s more how they are used but blocking and blacklisting are the same thing.

Blacklist:
“a list of people or groups regarded as unacceptable or untrustworthy and often marked down for punishment or exclusion”

The fact that the term ‘blacklist’ is used by service providers as a community based list is a coincidence. As the above description shows, a blacklist is used on the iPhone.

We can also call it a block list, restricted list or, since it is almost Christmas, a naughty list but the act of blacklisting has still occurred.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok! I was hoping i could block "no caller i.d" aswell. If a number is blocked. Will it block only calls or texts too?

Ledsteplin is quite right and only known numbers can be blocked (great username by the way)

If you block a number it will also block a text from that number. I use the function a lot

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Is there an app on ios to allow you to block unknown numbers/ no caller i.d ?

The only way to do that without using a 3rd party app would be to block all incoming calls except those from your contacts list. That feature is found within the Do Not Disturb settings of your phone. Of course this blocks any number not on your contact list, not just ones without Caller ID or Caller Unknown.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok! I was hoping i could block "no caller i.d" aswell. If a number is blocked. Will it block only calls or texts too?

Ledsteplin is quite right and only known numbers can be blocked (great username by the way)

If you block a number it will also block a text from that number. I use the function a lot

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
They are two different things. A blacklist is a list that is typically shared within a community or group. An example would be my home phone service provider. If a spammer calls me I have the ability to add their number to a blacklist. That blacklist is shared among other clients using the service. If I add a number to that blacklist, others using that list will not get calls from that number.

That may be one use but technically speaking blacklist and blocking is the same thing. In networking you would whitelist an IP address or a website to get through your block filter, for example. Blocked addresses would be on your blacklist.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

If it says "No Caller ID", "Private", or "Unknown", you can't block it. Only if it shows a number can you block it.

Sure you can. Simply create a contact named "No Caller ID", "Private" or "Unknown". Once created, add those contacts to your block list.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Sure you can. Simply create a contact named "No Caller ID", "Private" or "Unknown". Once created, add those contacts to your block list.

Does that actually work? Doesn’t sound like it should as the criteria to block is too vague and blocking based on a contact name only doesn’t sound right!

Will have to try it.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Does that actually work? Doesn’t sound like it should as the criteria to block is too vague and blocking based on a contact name only doesn’t sound right!

Will have to try it.

Been a few iOS versions since I've recommended it and it worked then. Unless something has changed I don't see why it wouldn't still work. Blocked on iOS is blocked based on contact and phone number.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Surely you cannot save a number as "no caller i.d" because there is no number to save??

Next time you receive a call in which your phone states, "No Caller ID"...simply go into your call history, select the "i" symbol on the far right of the contact. That will bring up additional call information. Press and hold the name designated (No Caller ID) and select the corresponding "Copy" option. Then paste that contact name into a newly created contact. Then add that contact to your block list.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods