Hello everyone.

I went through 3 iPhone X’s all due to them having dust under the camera lenses. I also checked in my local Apple store and out a approximately 20 handsets there were only 3 that didn’t have dust.

I’ve had a refund and gonna wait a few months for the issue to possibly be resolved before buying again.

What are other people’s experiences with this issue?
    12-04-2017 04:39 AM
    I’ve used 3 X, and no dust at all.
    12-04-2017 06:44 AM
    No dust under the lens here and if it were a widespread problem I think we would be hearing about it on this forum as well as from other sources. It definitely happens from time to time but three iPhones in a row? It sounds like your Apple Store got a bad batch of iPhones.
    Just go to another store (Best Buy, carrier store, order online, etc.).
    12-04-2017 06:55 AM
    There’s a thread over at MacRumors with people complaining about dust.
    sergysn likes this.
    12-04-2017 07:50 AM
    No dusts at all for me.
    bobsgolf likes this.
    12-04-2017 08:14 PM
    No dust in my camera lens.
    12-04-2017 08:39 PM
    I haven't looked. I don't intend on looking either. Not gonna let you ruin my experience lol. All my pictures look stunning which means if there is even a speck of dust....it isn't affecting me nor the functionality of my device at all. It's unfortunate you've went through three units though. That's crazy. Hopefully you eventually get a dust free phone.
    12-05-2017 11:30 AM
    No dust under the lens here and if it were a widespread problem I think we would be hearing about it on this forum as well as from other sources. It definitely happens from time to time but three iPhones in a row? It sounds like your Apple Store got a bad batch of iPhones.
    Just go to another store (Best Buy, carrier store, order online, etc.).
    For some reason I doubt this. I sometimes feel these dust stories are severely overblown. No offense to anyone but seriously...how much are you actually affected by this dust and how hard to you have to look to even notice it? Is it preventing use? Day to day are you seeing this dust? Are pictures coming out blurry?

Again...no offense to anyone and I understand everyones expectations vary and I respect that. But it seems like even the smallest things can interfere with people's ability to simply enjoy their device.
    12-05-2017 11:33 AM
    For some reason I doubt this. I sometimes feel these dust stories are severely overblown. No offense to anyone but seriously...how much are you actually affected by this dust and how hard to you have to look to even notice it? Is it preventing use? Day to day are you seeing this dust? Are pictures coming out blurry?

Again...no offense to anyone and I understand everyones expectations vary and I respect that. But it seems like even the smallest things can interfere with people's ability to simply enjoy their device.
    I couldn’t agree more. I was trying to keep an open mind.
    anon(9490796) and Annie_8plus like this.
    12-05-2017 11:37 AM
    I couldn’t agree more. I was trying to keep an open mind.
    Oh I understand. I tried...and failed lol.
    Rob Phillips and Annie_8plus like this.
    12-05-2017 11:40 AM
    Hello everyone.

I went through 3 iPhone X’s all due to them having dust under the camera lenses. I also checked in my local Apple store and out a approximately 20 handsets there were only 3 that didn’t have dust.

I’ve had a refund and gonna wait a few months for the issue to possibly be resolved before buying again.

What are other people’s experiences with this issue?
    I can completely understand your frustration. When a device costs as much as this, faults are inexcusable. I always check for dust in the camera lens on every phone I buy and I have personally owned/handles approximately 5-6 iPhone Xs. The good news is that none of them had any dust in the camera lens housing. I hope that you are able to find a suitable device without this issue. It is possible!
    12-05-2017 12:26 PM
    There’s a thread over at MacRumors with people complaining about dust.
    Had you been a member of iMore first, you wouldn't have any dust. Everyone knows iMore members have better idevices.
    12-05-2017 01:40 PM
    How are you determining there is an internal FOD issue?
    Dust doesn't make images blurry. Poor focus or motion at slow shutter speeds will.
    If the outer lens cover is perfectly clean (use a lens pen, for example), your shots at night of pinpoint bright objects such as car headlights, streetlights, etc. should be pinpoint with no streaking or tails, etc. Seeing these artifacts identifies smear, finger oils, etc. on the outer cover.
    12-05-2017 11:07 PM
    I did notice dust in my camera lense only when I was out side in the sun. A few small specks. Noticed this a couple of weeks ago. So I decided to shine flash light on wife’s rear camera lense as well and she has the same thing too. A few small specks. Coworker has the X so I asked if I could see her phone. Hers has it as well. So yeah if you look close, you may have it too.
    12-09-2017 01:39 AM
    I did notice dust in my camera lense only when I was out side in the sun. A few small specks. Noticed this a couple of weeks ago. So I decided to shine flash light on wife’s rear camera lense as well and she has the same thing too. A few small specks. Coworker has the X so I asked if I could see her phone. Hers has it as well. So yeah if you look close, you may have it too.
    Well now I’m afraid to look at mine.
    I’m going to pretend you didn’t just post that unless it starts showing up in photos.
    12-09-2017 06:49 AM
    I give my phones a good inspection when I get them. If I don't notice anything unusual I generally don't micro inspect again unless a problem arises. I haven't noticed any problems with my photos, so I haven't looked again at the camera housing. There may be dust, there may not.
    I do understand your frustration though. These are not inexpensive phones. A certain level of quality should be expected.
    I'm hoping you find a device that's up to your standards!
    Last edited by msm0511; 12-09-2017 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Clarity
    12-09-2017 08:15 AM
    Well now I’m afraid to look at mine.
    I’m going to pretend you didn’t just post that unless it starts showing up in photos.
    After I first saw it in my camera lense, I googled it. There is a long thread on Mac rumors. People posting pics. Some people have small hairs in their camera lense. This is no made up issue. The good thing is the small specs of dust in no way affect my photos nor my wife’s. So to me it’s no big deal.
    12-09-2017 11:58 AM
    Hello, my name is Ergun, I live in Turkey and I have a iPhone 8 plus. There are 7 plus, 8 plus , X series in my country and dust particles under the camera of half of the X series. I think this problem is global..
    12-23-2017 05:58 AM
    I haven’t had the dust problem with my X and neither has anyone I know that has one. Could be a bad manufacturing batch of devices. Guess we will have to wait for this one to play out.
    12-23-2017 06:43 AM
    Hello, my name is Ergun, I live in Turkey and I have a iPhone 8 plus. There are 7 plus, 8 plus , X series in my country and dust particles under the camera of half of the X series. I think this problem is global..
    I”m on replacement 1 a couple of weeks using there dust under the lens there not sealing it right at all.
    12-25-2017 08:29 PM
    Makes me wonder now, my first X I had a hair that stuck out of the camera housing. I thought it might have just gotten there once I opened up my phone and played with it. I just used some tweezers and pulled it out.

I’m afraid to look at my current X because literally everything about it is perfect. So I will definitely not go searching for problems.
    alexrat1996 likes this.
    12-25-2017 08:41 PM
    Did you scratch your lens
    12-25-2017 08:58 PM
    As much as I had to pay for this 256GB X, tax, Apple Cares higher price, and accessories I’m going to look for sure. Not sure what I’ll do if it does but I’m not going to be afraid to know.

Higher prices they deserve the extra scrutiny. Same with expectations on locked in batteries on $1K plus devices being throttled.
    12-25-2017 09:58 PM

I know I’m replying to an aging post and I mostly agree but I had to respond. Let’s not forget a non-insignificant fact. The iPhone X is more expensive than any other mainstream handset and, TBH, I kinda expect it to be flawless out of the box. AFAIK, both mine are (or are reasonably close) and I’m gonna try not to start looking for dust under the camera lens. I like my new iPhones.
    01-02-2018 07:01 PM
    I know I’m replying to an aging post and I mostly agree but I had to respond. Let’s not forget a non-insignificant fact. The iPhone X is more expensive than any other mainstream handset and, TBH, I kinda expect it to be flawless out of the box. AFAIK, both mine are (or are reasonably close) and I’m gonna try not to start looking for dust under the camera lens. I like my new iPhones.
    Not to mention they are IP67, so one would assume that dust wouldn't get inside the camera lens. We're talking about 1-2 month old phones that cost over $1k, and in many cases $1400 after AC+ and taxes. They shouldn't have dust in the camera lens.
    tadpoles likes this.
    01-16-2018 12:48 PM
49 12