What is everyone’s experience with having dust in the camera lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Dust in cameras

Makes me wonder now, my first X I had a hair that stuck out of the camera housing. I thought it might have just gotten there once I opened up my phone and played with it. I just used some tweezers and pulled it out.

I’m afraid to look at my current X because literally everything about it is perfect. So I will definitely not go searching for problems.

Tech_User16

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site

As much as I had to pay for this 256GB X, tax, Apple Cares higher price, and accessories I’m going to look for sure. Not sure what I’ll do if it does but I’m not going to be afraid to know.

Higher prices they deserve the extra scrutiny. Same with expectations on locked in batteries on $1K plus devices being throttled.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

For some reason I doubt this. I sometimes feel these dust stories are severely overblown. No offense to anyone but seriously...how much are you actually affected by this dust and how hard to you have to look to even notice it? Is it preventing use? Day to day are you seeing this dust? Are pictures coming out blurry?

Again...no offense to anyone and I understand everyones expectations vary and I respect that. But it seems like even the smallest things can interfere with people's ability to simply enjoy their device.

I know I’m replying to an aging post and I mostly agree but I had to respond. Let’s not forget a non-insignificant fact. The iPhone X is more expensive than any other mainstream handset and, TBH, I kinda expect it to be flawless out of the box. AFAIK, both mine are (or are reasonably close) and I’m gonna try not to start looking for dust under the camera lens. I like my new iPhones.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

I know I’m replying to an aging post and I mostly agree but I had to respond. Let’s not forget a non-insignificant fact. The iPhone X is more expensive than any other mainstream handset and, TBH, I kinda expect it to be flawless out of the box. AFAIK, both mine are (or are reasonably close) and I’m gonna try not to start looking for dust under the camera lens. I like my new iPhones.

Not to mention they are IP67, so one would assume that dust wouldn't get inside the camera lens. We're talking about 1-2 month old phones that cost over $1k, and in many cases $1400 after AC+ and taxes. They shouldn't have dust in the camera lens.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

Not to mention they are IP67, so one would assume that dust wouldn't get inside the camera lens. We're talking about 1-2 month old phones that cost over $1k, and in many cases $1400 after AC+ and taxes. They shouldn't have dust in the camera lens.

The dust is not getting in these phones after the fact. These phones are being unboxed with dust in them from the factory.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

The dust is not getting in these phones after the fact. These phones are being unboxed with dust in them from the factory.

To me, that’s semantics. Either before or after you unbox it, it shouldn’t have dust. Especially at this price and especially because they’re supposed to be IP67.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

To me, that’s semantics. Either before or after you unbox it, it shouldn’t have dust. Especially at this price and especially because they’re supposed to be IP67.

I get the price part of your argument, but the IP67 part doesn’t make sense to me.

Dust gets under the lens, they put everything in place, seal everything off to conform to the IP67 standards et voila, you have dust under the lens while the phone is completely IP67 certified.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I agree with you. But for me, I ask myself "is the juice worth the squeeze?".

If my phone works and performs wonderfully, is it worth it to me to look for tiny dust specks simply to find a flaw that I otherwise wouldn't have noticed? And then if I do find a tiny speck of dust that required me to darn near perform open heart surgery on my phone to detect, is it worth it to complain for a replacement?

For me, personally, it's not. For you, it may be.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
These devices are IP67-rated. They shouldn't have dust in them. I have never seen any dust in any of my devices. Are you sure it's not dust ON the lens?

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
These devices are IP67-rated. They shouldn't have dust in them. I have never seen any dust in any of my devices. Are you sure it's not dust ON the lens?

I don't know why or how they have dust, but I've seen a lot of posts on it on the webs. The one I had I didn't notice anything, but my point is that this is a $1k plus device. It shouldn't have dust in the camera lens, whether it got there before manufacturing is finished, or after. It just shouldn't be there.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
I had this issue with the front camera when I first got my Lumia 920. Went through 4 of them before they fixed this so this thread just freaked me out. However, I just checked and my phone has no dust under either camera.

hypervoid

Apr 4, 2018
Visit site
so somehow a speck of dust or whatever ended up in my iPhone X camera, more specifically on the 2x camera. This was not out of the box, it happened 3 months in.

Cannot see anything from the outside, seems to me it’s between the sensor and the lens.

Compare these two pics. First one is taken with the 1x, second with the 2x lens.

rkUCrajs5z.jpeg

SyPAB6os5z.jpeg

so this is not me looking for dust, but rather some dust rendering the 2x cam pretty much unusable... hope they will cover it under warranty ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Can’t believe people still complain about dust you need a magnifying glass to see just enjoy your iPhone and forget about the dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR